2002 Grand Cherokee Limited Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited Build

So I'll get straight to the point, Sunday Feb. 13th I sold my 1999 Wrangler 4.0
It was my daily driver since May 15 2007. Bought it with 147K, and sold it with 190K...and I think it was running stronger than when I bought it lol

Here is the build thread I had on it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/c...-build-860775/

It was hard to part with her, but I had to have something a bit more roomier, and alot more comfortable. My only option was to get a WJ, with the V8...

So I purchased this:

A 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited. Tan leather interior, fully loaded, and alot more roomier than the TJ.

I picked this up last Friday (2/11/2011). I love how it drives and handles!

My plans started, and after alot researching online and looking at photos of what others have done to their WJ's, I decided to go with this:

Iron Rock Offroad 3" suspension lift with a set of these:

Bilstein 5125 shocks. Ordered them all last night, rather early this morning. Also while I was at work, did some research as to what tires I wanted to get, and decided that I didn't want to go the same route I had with my old TJ. No KM2's. So I went with these:

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's in 245/70R17 fashion...

I may not be keeping the stock wheels, so I found a flawless set of JK Moabs from a guy, locally...

So the fun begins!

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
chicagoniner
1998 ZJ 

Looking good man. Surprised so many people passed this build up.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using JeepForum

[SIZE="3"][CENTER][B]Looking for Custom Drums? Check out [URL="www.splitnaildrums.com"]SPLIT NAIL DRUMS[/URL][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
chicagoniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Looks like this will be a good build. What are your intentions with this?
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Black dubs ftw.
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why is this thread so lame you might ask?!? Oh yeah maybe because you haven't posted pics or ANY updates since 2011 jerkface! I can tell from your avatar that your jeep is looking pretty sick, so you should share with the rest of us Adrian!

I do have to say, gixxerphil's avatar kept me amused while I wrote this out lol..
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

I sort of let this thread fall to the dark and damp depths of this forum lol. Yeah I've been pretty busy the last year or so, just getting some things in order and what not, hence why I never really bothered to update the thread, then I guess I forgot about it lol.

The Grand actually looks alot more different from when it started out. Nothing drastic, some subtle changes here and there, but I guess I can update some...

I did go with the 3" IRO lift, and a set of Bilsteins. I've actually got a pic right after the installation was completed:

Once installation was completed, I had already purchased a set of 17" JK Rubicon Moabs, and had a set of BFG Mud Terrain KM's installed prior to completing the lift. The BFG's that were on the Moabs were far too worn to run on the dub, so I got a new set to replace those.

The day after the install. Had her washed, waxed, detailed.

Shined up the tires!

As stated before, I didn't really get much time to wheel it or do much else with it in the first year that I had it. In July of 2011, I took it on her first offroad outing with Down & Dirty Offroad. We took our annual trip to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears, MI. It was a blast, and the Jeep amazed me with how well it handled the dunes. The year before, I had the 4.0 TJ, which I always had trouble with on test hill. It bogged down a few times before I could get her over the crest. With the WJ, I had no problems at all. I made each run, on the first try, EVERYTIME! Definitely had no regrets on upgrading to the V8.

The bowls were also fun as well!

My buddy Tyler was riding shotgun

His Abe Lincoln hat...

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

Unread 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

In March of this year, I got a little protection for the t-case, since I knew some trips to The Cliffs were in order for later this year. I hit up Kevin's Offroad and ordered a transfer case skid plate. Prepped it, sprayed it, clear coated, and slapped it on. Very easy to install. I also got artsy with the pictures.

One other thing I did...I peeled the labels off the Bilsteins, and sanded them down with an air powered sander. I should have clear coated them when I first got them, and before installing them. The polished aluminum finish will quickly corrode with as much salt as they use on these Illinois roads.

Oh and to answer your question robd2003, I am now looking into upgrading to an IRO or Clayton 6" long arm lift. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the 6" lift over the 3". The 3 seems small now in comparison lol. But the upgrade wont happen until probably March. I'm going to keep this setup thru a 2nd winter and then I'll go from there. Of course, bigger lift equals bigger tires, and possibly new gears. I'm currently at 3.73:1 stock gears, I may go to 4.10:1 gears, but tire size I will definitely upgrade to a 33x12.50R17. I'm also planning on getting my stock bumpers replaced, especially the front, and going with a steel bumper by CLSOffroad.

Unread 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Finally, the most the recent changes/upgrades that have been made:

I scored a Kevin's Offroad roof rack mount tire carrier from a buddy and fellow WJ owner. He works in downtown Chicago and there was no way his Grand Cherokee would be able to get thru parking garages with the rack and spare sitting on his roof. So he gave me a good deal on it, and he even resprayed it for me!

I also swapped out the Moabs. I found a killer deal on a set of nearly brand new 17" steel wheels, even came with black center caps. I went to my local Discount tire and $60 later they had them balanced and swapped out for me.

She sits a little wider now with the new wheels, therefore the tires started to rub on the front bumper and wheel well liner at full turn...so I trimmed a bit off the bumper.

The next thing I'm looking at will be finding a set of GC Laredo headlights. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome with the headlights on the Limited models. I'll stop by a Chrysler dealer and see how much they run thru Mopar, otherwise I'll look on craigslist or ebay.

I've also got a transmission pan gasket that I need to replace. I have a small trans pan leak that is leaving its mark on my driveway. Its also covered my transfer case skid with a greasy film.

Yesterday, I replaced the throttle position sensor. I was having some iddling issues before, and I think that may have taken care of it.

Unread 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
RexVault

That is so freakin cool haha I love this build.
RexVault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
robd2003
2002 WJ 

looks very nice!
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking rig!
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Now that's what I'm talking about! Looks so good Adrian, I love the murdered out black theme you are going with.. sick! I'm jealous you have all that room, comfort, style, and still get to tear it up offroad. You should head down to Attica w/ me next time I hit up the Badlands.

I also like those bumpers you posted.. That would really add to the build nicely. Don't forget to post updates..
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like this alot!
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Thanks everyone for still following this build lol. I think now I will try to keep up with it and as soon as something is done or the build progresses I will post up pictures and updates!

When are you going to the Badlands again Brad? I've been dying to go there again, havent been in like 2 years. I really want to see what this truck can do there. Although I may need some rocker protection before that. Thats one thing I forgot to add to my build list.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.