2002 Black TJ Sahara - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 Black TJ Sahara

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
aero11616
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, can't wait to see

aero11616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So we spent another 2hrs on the rear and unfortunately realized that the torx bit set my buddy had didn't go all the way to t55, so we had to stop the installation. We have everything else removed and ready to go so we should be able to get everything finished in another 1.5hrs to 2hrs MAX im hoping. Once I get some free time I throw up those pictures of the front install as promised, but right now I gotta go get my tires mounted and balanced!!!
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So here are some photos from last night taken by Muddy99JP. Thanks buddy!

The new springs, fresh out of the box!

Old rear springs with new rear springs

Here we go!

One side finished!

Putting in the steering stabilizer...

Front end DONE.

The rear is still on jack stands, so the front end is a little higher than it will be. These are my buddies 33x12.50, he is letting me borrow until I get my tires mounted.

We should be starting to work on finishing up the rear in the next 30mins! I'll post more photos once we are finished, as well as the ending measurements....
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

DONE! With this project, but by no means customizing my TJ. I'm going to need to stop all the major upgrades until after I get married (Aug. 8th), but I still plan on working on some more of the rust, and maybe smaller things like roll bar grab handles, etc.... Anyways, now the new pics!

One side done on the rear....

new rear track bar relocator(and the dumb t55 torx bit bolt that kept us from finishing in one night!)

New height in front and rear = 4"

Here it is with my buddies wheels/tires while mine were getting mounted: pro comp MT 33"x12.50. Now that I've seen my jeep with 12.50's I want a set of those too!

At the tire shop getting my BFG MT Km2 33x10.50's on. Too bad I didn't have enough money to get some new wheels too. They rub just a bit when in full turn. Darn 5.5 backspacing
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

RC 3.25" Test Flex

So I had to try out my new sway bar quick discos(which are awesome and work great by the way), and of course I figured I share some pictures!

Due to being pressed for time I didn't hit any trails, just a stump outside my garage! Hopefully soon I can put it to the real test!

Sway bar on

sway bar off...

On the stump

another angle

and one more, the tire is all nice and tucked up in the fender with no rubbing
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #21
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And finally, I couldn't help but love my buddies jeep and lifted trailer with 33x12.50 Pr Comp MT's on it. He has a 4.5" BDS SL with 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, front and rear ARB air lockers, new front and rear warn bumpers and warn rocker guards, safari snorkel, round LED tail lights, and the list goes on. Something to strive for. I couldn't have done it without him and his awesome collection of tools!

Unread 04-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #22
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lessons Learned

Here are the lessons learned from installing my first lift kit.

1. PB Blaster is awesome. Use it like crazy on EVERY bolt and nut, and start applying like the day before and let it soak.

2. Make sure you have all the right tools. I know this sounds like a no brainier, but in my situation we had what we thought was everything (even our own spring compressors, didn't have to rent 'em!), but our torx bit set only went up to T50! That put us behind and caused my buddy to have to miss a half a day of work.

3. Give yourself some time to make sure everything works and is road safe before you have to drive the vehicle long distances. I had an issue with a broken bolt on the driver side rear spring, and had to rig it up so I could limp 6 hours home. Its at the shop right now getting fixed, but that 6 hour drive was more like 7 because I had to go slower, and was white knuckle the whole way home.

4. AIR TOOLS ARE YOUR FRIEND. If I didn't live in an apartment and had a garage that would be my next investment.

5. Having the proper tools makes life soooooo much easier (see lessons 2 and 4)

6. Finally, don't forget to have fun and take pictures. Good thing Muddy99JP was there with his cell phone to take some photos, otherwise I would have been too cought up in trying to get it done to take pictures and enjoy it.

That's all for now. Just gotta figure out what to do next
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #23
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Painted Tailpipe

Now I know this is by no means a performance mod, but since I've spent a good bit of money on new parts for my jeep recently and I HATE the look of rust i decided to paint my tailpipe black.

Total cost of mod: $4 and some change......
Total time: 45mins

First I took some 150grit sandpaper and spent a good bit of time removing all the lose rust and carbon from the tailpip. I then wiped it down to remove all the rust dust. I taped everything off with newspaper, and covered the shocks and springs with tin foil(saw it in another thread and worked great).

Then I used Krylon high heat black paint (for temps up to 1200F) and sprayed a nice coat.

Unfortunately I didn't snap any before pictures, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what a rusted tailpipe looks like....

Next I'm going to remove my hitch, remove the rsut and flaking paint and hit it up with the 3m Professional grade undercoating(and finish up the frame too!).

Unread 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
jeepbub08
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. If you ever need a hand on the jeep or anything just pm me. Id be glad to help out. I love all jeeps.

Eastern NC Jeep Owners #8
jeepbub08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That looks really nice. Thats the same lift I'm lookin to go with in the near future. Did you have any complications with installing it yourself? I have done some suspension work and engine work in the past, but never a lift kit. Any early advice?
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeepbub - Thanks for the offer! I might have to take you up on that! Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to do anything to major anytime soon. I'm getting married in August and my fiancee got a little pissed when I spent over $1k on tires/lift/steering stabilizer and said I can't get anything else big until after the wedding. After that I plan on adding new bumpers, a body lift, and some skid plates, so I might could use some help with some wrenching! I've also been thinking that its about time for a trip to Uwharrie to test out my new tires and lift!

Tick - PB Blaster everything you are going to take off a day or so in advanced(I applied 3 times). Power tools are going to be a HUGE help. Also we used a spring compressor and that certainly helped. Make sure you torx bit set goes up to T55 as ours stopped at T50. Other than that just follow the instructions. This was my first lift (although I did it with a buddy who as done many) and it seemed pretty painless. We did break a bolt off on the rear shock and drilled it out, but couldn't get the tap and die in there so I had to take that to a shop. Other than that is was lots of fun. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Unread 04-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #27
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Did you paint the entire pipe or just the tail pipe?
because mine is just horrible looking and has rust and baked on mud

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #28
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I sanded and painted from the tailpipe all the way up to and including the muffler. There was a little debate on the another thread I saw about how far to paint to due to high temperatures and I figured the muffler was a good place to stop. After that there wasn't really any rust anyways, I believe the from the muffler to the catalytic converter and up to the headers are a high temperature rated steel and might of had some sort of galvanization or something because it wasn't really rusted at all.

I also figured the ignition temperature of paper is 451F and surely the muffler isn't hot enough to ignite paper(could be wrong, but I doubt it). The paint can withstand sustained temps of 600F and temperature spikes to 1200F. I figured at worst all it would due is cause the paint to flake off if the temperatures are too hot for too long. Also the vast majority of my driving is less than 5miles miles one way, so I doubt anything will be getting too hot.
Unread 05-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #29
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I went to the local 4wheelparts store in Raleigh NC this weekend while I was in town doing check-out dives(I'm a scuba instructor and I was taking students to Fantasy Lake Scuba Park), and I picked up some Smitty Built Euro Head Light Guards. I'm hoping that once I get back home I'll have time to put them on before it rains! I've also started prepping the trailer hitch for rust removal and some 3M undercoating...

Unread 05-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #30
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't had anytime yet to install the light guards. I'm hoping that it wont be raining when I get home from work today so that I get them on ASAP.

On a more exciting note I'll be heading to Uwharrie this weekend for some wheeling! This will be my first trip so I'm pretty excited! I'll be sure to get some good pictures of lift and new tires in action!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.