2000 XJ "build" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2000 XJ "build"

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

2000 XJ "Black Widow" build

Gonna keep this a clean reliable backup vehicle, that'll be a nice beach buggy and mountain trip vehicle. Selling my 98. For now, swapping the BB, moabs, and hitch from the 98 over and going to see what's the deal with the motor, it runs great but has the notorious water in oil, probably cracked head. Chances are I'll just swap out the motor completely.

Plans within the next 6 months-year.

-RCx 4.5" lift
-sye/ds
-some sort of roof rack
-jcr bumpers
-265/75/16 when the mtr's wear
-tint
-some sort of stereo setup, nothing huge, just clean w. a lil bass
-seat covers or leather seat swap
-exhuast
-anything maintinence wise i see needs done. overall its clean as hell

Unread 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yesterday when i got it. worked on the paint a little.

Unread 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

did some work on it today, swapping stuff from the 98 to this one.

got the front done. smashed the eff out of my finger, well two of them. pinky came out a little worse. stupid broken bolt, and then the spring compressor got wedged... ftl.

the racecar in the background... ha

mutttthaaaaa....

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

stuck a needle through my fingernail, hurt like hell. still hurts.

did a lil more work on the jeep. took off the door molding. called a local picknpull, they have tons of xj's so ima swing by there this weekend and maybe pick up a head.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

man looks good i"ve always like cherokee's with 2in lifts thats why im staying at 2inches lol
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BB6 View Post
man looks good i"ve always like cherokee's with 2in lifts thats why im staying at 2inches lol
thats what she said.

thanks man. the highest i'll go is 4.5" and some 265/75s, that will probably be a few months though.
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

called a local picknpull. they have 5-7 xj's, so i may go see if i can snag a head saturday. gotta work 72hr nightshift starting sunday, wont get much time to work on it this weekend
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt62485 View Post
mutttthaaaaa....

I did the same thing to my finger when I installed my lift. My nail stayed like that for a good 2 months. Battle wounds!!!!

Nice jeep by the way! Looks a little like mine
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks. and yea, i have a feeling it will be a while for this to look normal lol
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so had a helluva day. went to the picknpull to get a 0630 casting head (98-99 xj's that aren't suppossed to be nearly prone to cracking, etc) mines a 2000 with the 0331 casting that is notorious for cracking.

anyways spend some time with tcoggins pulling the accessories out of the way on this 98 and getting the bolts loose, pulled the valve cover off, everything looked pretty good there so i figure what the hell we will try it out. after a trip back to my house to get a 1/2" break bar and to advance to get a 12pt 13mm deep socket, we managed to muscle the ridiculously tight head bolts off.

after fighting with the intake manifold for a while we got the head off, turned it over and a couple of the valves looked a little funny. so he was asking me about where the heads crack on the 0331 casting (b/t 3 and 4 combustion chambers) as i was grabbing the pushrods, etc.

at that time we noticed that there was effing port to wall crack b/t 3 & 4 on this 0630 casting head. needless to say i was slightly irritated, picked the thing up and threw it back on top of the motor and went to the house.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so finally had time to get the rear lifts swapped out. finished pulling the door molding off and cleaned it up.

after that pulled it in the garage and decided to start working on getting the head off. pulled the fuel rail, electrical, fan, air intake, etc off and started working on getting the intake manifold off. the damn thing has 4 bolts on the underside that are in b/t the exhuast manifold ports, and a PITA. after spending 15 minutes working the socket onto the bottom back bolt, which was the last one... it is giving me hell. i got it half way backed out and about had the intake off and the socket slipped off and now i cannot get it back on. walked away for the day. jeep-2, me-0. gonna put a bolt back in the top to keep it from tilting forward and then i'll be able to finish it, i was just physically spent after busting my *** cleaning the garage then working on the jeep all weekend. sometimes its better left alone for the time being.

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, did some work and got the head off (alone)... that was a terrible mistake, I don't remember the head being that heavy on the Jeep at the picknpull but I had help and was working out (aint been to the gym in a couple months)... but eff was that thing heavy. I'm about 140lbs and it was all I could do to get it up and over the front of the Jeep (made me hate swapping the lifts)

anyways, I can see anything on the block side, but on the top side under the valve spring perch b/t cylinder 3 and 4 I can see what appears to be a hairline around where it slopes down some.

so, 0331 TUPY will be on order in a few weeks. Plan to go ahead, clean/paint some things, replace all the coolant hoses, new thermostat, give it a good tune up, and some other odds and ends in the meantime and process of putting a new head on it.

bout to start working 72hr weeks next monday until the end of april so chances of getting much work on it will be very slim until then, at least I can get everything ordered with some of the OT money and have it waiting on me.

plans
-new head
-tune up/new hoses, etc
-swap the hitch from the 98 on to the 00
-audio setup
-finish cleaning her up and buff/wax
-hit the beach
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

guess i'm talking to myself here. but if anyone gives a crap.

Unread 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
matt62485
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i'm hoping this is the cause and it's not a casting flaw, i can't confirm it's a crack, but it surely looks like it. gonna test it next weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.