2000 Wrangler - Attempt at a build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2000 Wrangler - Attempt at a build

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 Wrangler - Attempt at a build

Hey all. I'm incredibly bored at school, so I figured I'd make one of these build threads and see how it goes. Things will move incredibly slow, since I am short on cash, and hate spending it even when I do have it. Anyway, here we go. I picked my Jeep up in the fall of 2008. I had been looking all over the place for one, and after a lot of persuasion and signing my soul over to the bank, I had one. I purchased the Jeep with some work done to it, because at the time I thought it would be cheaper that way. Turns out, the previous owner did things the cheap way, and I've been left with repair bills out the rear. I plan on slowly rebuilding the entire vehicle, with the emphasis on slowly. Here's some info...

2000 Wrangler Sahara
4.0 liter I6 with 5 speed manual transmission
4" Rough Country suspension lift
2" Performance Accessories body lift
Dana 30/Dana 44 with 4.56 gears
35 x 12.5 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips
15 x 8 Cragar Soft 8s
Pocket flares (to stay legal in PA)
Dynomax cat back exhaust
Dupli-color bed liner
Cobra CB & Firestik 4' whip
Hella 500 lights

I have an AA SYE and a Tom Wood's drive shaft yet to be installed, and well as some Currie adjustable rear upper control arms. They may get installed over my spring break next week. I'm also thinking about painting it to get a new look. I'm leaning towards silver, but I'm not sure. It would be spray paint because I can't afford a real paint job, but I'd attempt to make it look good. Any color suggestions, or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

**Disclaimer - The Jeff Daniels sticker is there because they used to offer discounts if it was on the Jeep. It will be taken off this week. I only state this because I have taken flack about it multiple times.

BigGreenTJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have any tips for installing the SYE and the control arms? I plan on diving into that over this next week, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to watch out for anything.
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Xingpao
1984 CJ7 

Well, for what it's worth the green is a fine color and would look much better than a rattle can silver. Have you considered paiting the hard top black and start converting the interior over to black so that you can paint the outside professionally later when you have the cash? I mean you aren't gonna have a tan hard top and silver paint are you?

Black hubs would look good too.
Xingpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xingpao View Post
Well, for what it's worth the green is a fine color and would look much better than a rattle can silver. Have you considered paiting the hard top black and start converting the interior over to black so that you can paint the outside professionally later when you have the cash? I mean you aren't gonna have a tan hard top and silver paint are you?

Black hubs would look good too.
I've thought about painting the hard top. If I was to paint the body, I'd more than likely be doing it piece by piece. It'll look goofy for a while, but since its my daily driver, that's about the only way I could do it. The hard top would definitely get painted black at that point. I don't really dislike the green, I'm just looking for something new. The whole green and black color scheme has gotten pretty dull.
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

Not the biggest fan of those body lifts, but your Jeep looks good.

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
BeepTheJeep

not that bad bro!
BeepTheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwarriors View Post
Not the biggest fan of those body lifts, but your Jeep looks good.
Yeah man I'm with you. I just cant afford to take it off until I can throw some tube fenders on there. I really dislike the flares I have, but I already dealt with one situation about tire coverage that resulted in a warrant with my name on it haha
Unread 03-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got the Jeff Daniels sticker off today. Oil change is going down tomorrow, and possible throwing my Currie rear upper control arms on. Will take pictures if I make that happen.

Any tips that would make their install a little easier?
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the Currie rear upper adjustable control arms today. Didn't give me too much trouble at all, which was a welcomed surprise. I ended up breaking one of the grease fittings though, so I'll have to pick up a new nut and bolt set up with a grease fitting on it. Heading out tonight to get black paint, and hopefully Thursday will be the day for painting the interior. No pictures of the control arm install, but I'll take some of them in there tomorrow, if anyone is following this thread that is.
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got some work done today. Pulled all the interior out and got the majority of the pieces painted. I think the pieces cam out pretty nice. I'm going to look in to a color for the center piece of the dash, since it now looks a little dull with the black all around it. Pictures of the pieces are below, and pictures of everything installed will hopefully come tomorrow!

My paint booth
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No pictures of the dash installed yet because I can't get the camera out in the massive downpours we're experiencing.

On a side note, is anyone following this thing? Feel free to post suggestions, comments, take shots at me. Whatever you'd like.
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm going to try to bring this thread back from the dead. I have a lit put together of parts, and different companies that produce them. I'm just not sure where to go next. I've narrowed it down to a front locker, tummy tuck, rock sliders, or axle shafts as my next purchase.

I have been gotten to wheel much, but that's been because of only being home on the weekends. Once summer comes around I plan to get out on the trails more. I know the locker would be great, but I don't know if I want to rip into my axle just yet. The tummy tuck would be nice for the clearance, so that has more than likely made its way to the top of the list.

Any opinions?
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
gonzojr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

cant wait to see pics of the dash! i want to do this to my sahara
gonzojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzojr View Post
cant wait to see pics of the dash! i want to do this to my sahara
I'll snap some for you this weekend when I head back home. Mine didn't come out too bad. I think each piece got about 2 coats after being cleaned with soap and a sponge. We had a decent drop in temperature overnight while the pieces were drying, and I think that affected the way the paint bonded to the dash. Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
luckywrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Interior peices look good. You got any pictures of it in the Jeep?

NM. Just saw your above post after I posted this.

Last edited by luckywrangler; 04-13-2010 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Prvious post
luckywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.