JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Builds (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/)
-   -   2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2000-tj-build-lcg-first-time-build-1043773/)

japete01 06-02-2010 11:41 AM

2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build

I've been reading Jeep Forum for quite some time and this will be my first post. So far I've been reading as much as possible to help me avoid making too many mistakes on my first build (which I have to give credit to my friends Jake and Mail Man Matt for all the time/effort they are putting in with me).

In March I finally found a worthy rig, a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4.0). It came with a 4 inch Teraflex Lift (seized control arms and stock uppers), adjustable trac bars (which are no longer adjustable), Rancho shocks (rear driver side has little down travel), a garbage 2 inch body lift, 90's eagle alloys (no offense anyone), and every aftermarket add on possible.

The good news, it only had 44,000 miles on it and it did come with an NV4500 (SYE and CV drive shaft) (which has also caused me some pain in planning), and a Dana 44 in the rear (I believe it has 4.56 gears and an open diff)

Upon driving it home I started stripping it down taking off all the random stickers, interior add ons, and non-necessary items off the jeep. I also added 35" x 12.5 Cepek Mud Country Tires on a set of 15" Crager Soft 8's with rock rings weleded (thanks Mail Man Matt) along with 1.25" wheel spacers.

I had a Flowmaster and highflow cat put on with a down turn just past the skid...no smashing the exhaust on rocks.

Two weekends ago we installed a Smittybilt tire carrier, TNT's Rocker Protection (with step tube) that have been bed lined, and a 1" Day Star Body Lift (which modifications to the shifter and tub to account for the tranny).

I have ordered the following:
- Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms (with Jonny Joints on both end...thanks to reading Mr. Blaine & Imped's posts)
- 3" AEV Nth Degree Springs
- OME Shocks
- Currie Adjustable Front Trac Bar
- Currie Steering
- JKS Adjustabgle Rear Trac Bar
- Stock Pitman Arm (I have a drop pitman now)
- Superior Axle Super 44 kit w/ a Detroit Locker
- Riddler Diff. Cover for the 44
- Metal Cloak Arched Tube Fenders

Jake, Mail Man Matt, and I will be putting on the suspension this weekend if the Rokmen arms show up.

The rear Axle is going to be done by a local shop (and one heck of a guy) on the 12th.

I should have a good feel for how everything works as the Jeep with be devirginized (I'm not sure that is a word) on the 18th in Tuttle Creek Kansas.

I'll do my best to document the changes to the jeep and take pictures of the changes in parts.

japete01 06-02-2010 11:44 AM

Future Mods

I'm stumped as to what I'm going to do with the front. I'm running a Low Pinion Dana 30 with an open Diff. I may eventually want to run 37s or 38s so I'm not sure it is worth building.

Future mods I'm considering outside of the front diff include:
Tummy Tuck Skid (Rokmen or Under Cover Fab are my front runners)
Engine/Tranny Skid (Under Cover Fab)
1" Motor Mount Lift (not sure on brand)
Low Profile Tranny Mount (may need for the NV4500 with a Tummy Tuck) - Not sure on brand, Under Cover Fab sells one
Tom Woods Front/Rear driveshafts (if needed due to lenth changes)

Corner Armor w/ Tube Fenders - TNT 4.5" Flares

Savvy Gas Tank Skid (or maybe a new GenRight gas tank)

Stinger style front Bumper

Barrows 06-02-2010 12:56 PM

We need pic's......:D

purplepig 06-02-2010 12:58 PM

Yes pics!!!!! I wanna see!!! :)

purplepig 06-02-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

I had a Flowmaster and highflow cat put on with a down turn just past the skid...
Any problems with the turn down right past the skid?.I was scared to cut mine back that far after it was smashed.

japete01 06-02-2010 01:04 PM

I'll take pictures today if the Weather cooperates!

japete01 06-02-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepig (Post 9561654)
Any problems with the turn down right past the skid?.I was scared to cut mine back that far after it was smashed.

It looks and sounds great. It is a little bit louder (I have it angled down and a little toward the tire), but I drive a Jeep...not a Caddillac.

2GPS4ME 06-02-2010 06:27 PM

:PopCorn: for a cool-sounding LCG build!

japete01 06-02-2010 08:49 PM

Pics

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures

2GPS4ME 06-02-2010 09:02 PM

Holy huge pictures, batman.

Good choice ditching the 4" lift. 3" with the Metalcloak fenders is going to be bro-awesome! :highfive:

japete01 06-02-2010 09:08 PM

[QUOTE=2GPS4ME;9564395]Holy huge pictures, batman.

That's why I only posted the 3! I need to figure out how to size them properly.

rangerwj 06-03-2010 10:30 PM

if you plan on running 38s you might be pushing the d44 with the detroit a little. but 35s-37s the 44 should be great. maybe put a JK front 44 in? get beef and a locker...gearing would have to be changed though. anyway, looks cool will keep watching :)

japete01 06-04-2010 06:20 AM

I think the JK 44 is probably a great idea... now finding one at a reasonable price may be the challenge.

japete01 06-04-2010 11:09 AM

Talked to Matt from Undercover Fab last night about the Tummy Tuck. After a few quick measurements, I think I can do their No-Body Lift Skid and still have some room for the NV4500.

The 2" skid should raise the tranny about 1 3/4 inches, but I am dropping the suspension 1" for about a 3/4 inch change in drive line height. My NV4500 isn't using the stock tranny mount or I would go to a low-profile tranny mount to try for a net 0 change. The whole purpose of this is to avoid needing a new drive shaft.

In other news.....I found a High Pinion Dana 30 with a lunch box locker locally that I'm going to swap in (after I get the gears changed). I'm not sure what type of axle shafts are in it, lets hope they are Chrome Molys.

MisfitSeven 06-04-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangerwj (Post 9570885)
if you plan on running 38s you might be pushing the d44 with the detroit a little. but 35s-37s the 44 should be great. maybe put a JK front 44 in? get beef and a locker...gearing would have to be changed though. anyway, looks cool will keep watching :)

the super 44 kit has 33 spline cromo shafts. thus making the shafts 33% stronger than regular cromo shafts. 38s are right at the sweet spot for the super 44 kit.

:drool: thats hot!

The time now is 05:29 AM.