2000 TJ Build on a budget - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
gavakie

2000 TJ Build on a budget

Trying to document the work of I've done on my Jeep. My first car as a kid was 91 Cherokee Limited. Loved that car. Unfortunalty it didnt last long before dear old dad sold it. Couple years later I was in the military and bought my first brand new car 2000 wrangler 2.5l. Was such a fun car. Long story short. Marriage, pregnant wife and dear old Jeep gets sold. I hated having to sell this. Was literally my favorite car. Come October I have the chance to buy another car. Oh baby here comes my Jeep. I search our local used car pages and finally find a 4.0l I can afford. Awesome. I finally have a Jeep again. Only problem with the Jeep is its Blue. (I can live with that though.)

Attached Thumbnails
stock Jeep.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
gavakie

First thing first was call a couple buddies of mine and get some advice. Friend of mine who is building an LJ on a budget has helped a ton. Been mimicking a lot of what he's been doing. So first things first friend has set of 35's and some wheels. Time to lift if it. Do a budget lift XJ springs in the front with pucks and JK shocks with Teraflex Ball pin eleminator kit. Move the front shocks to the back and we have a 3 inch lift all around. Realized their was a lot of corrosion under the body. But it looked so much better. Come to realize a bit that their was some frame rot pretty bad on the drivers side. Ended up buying some safe t caps and had a friend/mechanic/fabricator weld them up for me. Everything seems great now but what an oh s#$% moment it was realizing it was rotted that bad. But relieved it wasnt a terrible fix. Just more money I could have spent else where.
Attached Thumbnails
lift.jpg   finished.jpg  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
gavakie

Posting this in one day but its been done over time. During the the lift I also did the budget sway bar disconnects. Tim (LJ buddy) been giving me advice what to do next.
Here is the list:

1" body lift. Been Purchased need to install
1" engine mount lift: Tried doing this one but had trouble getting the engine mount bolts to brake free. Local shop is doing this next week. I get some wierd vibes between 30-40 MPH. I hope this fixes it.
Upgraded the steering to the ZJ upgrade. I hit a deer shortly after getting it so it needed to be done. It ate through my first front tires so I had to buy a couple new tires that werent bald.
Tier one control arms from Core 4x4. Local company. My friend was not a fan of the ones I got but I couldnt pass up a good deal. Plus once I was able to take off my stock ones they were beat up. I need to UG to Johnny Joints though.
Upgraded the Headlights to Halos. We have a local FB group for Jeepers and had a got a good deal Stock ones were terrible.
Tim gave me some modified stock fenders. I think they will really help with the look.
Removed the end caps from the front bumper. They same friend that did the frame is currently building a rear bumber with oversized carrier. Im going to have him fab a front as well.
Local classifieds had a Rage soft top I have for the warmer months. Excited for that one.
Added some stickers to take away from the Blue. Anything with a flag looks better right?

Tim recommended a hand throttle since I have a manual. Thats on order.

All these locals are posting Moab pics. Makes me really anxious to take it out.
Attached Thumbnails
original lights.jpg   new lights.jpg   Control Arms.jpg   control arms 2.jpg   control arms 3.jpg  

post #4 of 9 Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
gavakie

Added some rock sliders over the weekend. Found some on the local classifieds. Were raw metal. Primed and painted. They look good. Hardware I got was brass and sticks out though. I think Ill find some black chrome hardware and replace. My wife now has a step as well which will help.
Attached Thumbnails
rock sliders.jpg  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
gavakie

Finally getting to get out wheeling tomorrow with a friend. Changed out the front fender with some modified stock ones. I really like the look so far. Since my last post I've also had to replace the clutch. Not fun but its done.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep old fender.jpg   jeep fender.jpg  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 PM
ericwudi0830

its looking good so far

I don't drive fast, I fly low
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
gavakie

Went to Moab for the first time this last weekend. Had a blast. Hit up Fins N Things, Flat Iron Mesa, and Hell's Revenge. Already wishing I could go back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2957.jpg   IMG_2918.jpg   IMG_2815.jpg  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2017, 03:56 PM
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Looks good! You live where I wish I did. I'd love to be able to drive to Moab in less than a day.

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
Follow me on Instagram - @thereich
post #9 of 9 Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
gavakie

We're definitely spoiled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.