1ofakind 1997 TJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1ofakind 1997 TJ build

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 08-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1ofakind 1997 TJ build

Hi guys, so I'm going to start a build thread for my jeep instead of posting 10 different threads I'll ask all my questions and keep you up to date on it through one thread.

Anyways I picked up a 97 jeep tj very cheap 7 days ago for $1000. It was the third car in a 3
Car pile up and so the previous owner smashed into the back of a moving van and smushed the hood, grill, and fenders. The jeep runs and drives and since a week ago I had removed all the smashed up pieces and stripped the motor and tranny, and made my self a list of stuff it requires to be road worthy. The best part about it is the previous owner didn't claim it on insurance so it's an active title. The rest of the jeep is damn near mint with only 179,000kms on it.

From a further inspection, it looks like the jeep has had the transmission replaced, it's and auto 4cyl.

So now I'm picking up a 1998 donor frame with tub and everything I need to do a 6cyl swap with the ax-15 tranny.

Here are some pics of it so far!

image-3708332074.jpg

image-3683126025.jpg

image-3454237641.jpg

1ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So right now I'm busy cleaning up the frame and any rust on the tub. Getting ready to paint it all with monstaliner. Don't have pics of that but I'll take some pics after I get it all sprayed!

The motor and tranny from my donor should be in after I paint.

I want to do a complete tune up on this motor and tranny while it is out, so I have some questions for you all.

What fluids can I run in my tranny (ax-15)?
What fluid in my tcase?
Best plugs/wires?
Best clutch? Luk? Factory? Or centre force?
Best header to run on the I6? Banks?
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

image-942096307.jpg

Motor being pulled out
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofakind
Motor being pulled out
Notice my buddies awesome jk in the back!!
Unread 08-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an update. Got the donor yesterday and got the whole drive train out of it today! Cutting the mounts of the donor to put into my 2.5 frame
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

image-1755559951.jpg

Well here it is as she stands right now! Motor is bolted in and runs flawless (minus an airbag light and no exhaust yet lol) absolutely love the new tranny and power of the 4L. Got everything on the body and now I'll be ordering lots of parts to get ready for a paint job, rims/37" pit bull rockers, bds 4.5" long arm, 1.25" bl and 1" mml. Along with a ton of other parts! Also need a windshield lol when lowering the motor in had an accident and put a fork through the windshield.... My bad lol
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got a complete service, just need to do a tranny flush after I find a minor leak from the transmission
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofakind View Post
So right now I'm busy cleaning up the frame and any rust on the tub. Getting ready to paint it all with monstaliner. Don't have pics of that but I'll take some pics after I get it all sprayed!

The motor and tranny from my donor should be in after I paint.

I want to do a complete tune up on this motor and tranny while it is out, so I have some questions for you all.

What fluids can I run in my tranny (ax-15)?
What fluid in my tcase?
Best plugs/wires?
Best clutch? Luk? Factory? Or centre force?
Best header to run on the I6? Banks?
Fluid in that t case will be ATF+4. Best plugs and wires along with header and clutch will be an open debate. I would say factory for all. As for ax-15 use 75-90w gear oil.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So for everyone watching this thread I've got the jeep swapped over to a new front clip and motor/trans so now it's a 4.0 standard. Now I'm looking at doing jk d44 axles and complete steering upgrade if I can find some good cheap d44's. But before that I'm thinking I'll be painting the whole jeep in Monsta liner.

Once I get the new diffs in and i do some elockers and some 4.88 gears then I'll be putting some new shoes on it. Planning on some Pitbull rockers with some 17" aluminum bead locks.

I did change the route I wanted to take a bit, this will take me a while to do with my limited time considering my job. My goal is to have this jeep done for the next EJS (Easter jeep safari) in Moab. Fingers crossed!!! Going to be a sweet jeep when I get it done but such a long road ahead of me
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How's the jeep coming along??

I did the same thing with mine, rebuilt it after it was totaled. Great dedication.
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is quite the project I tell ya. Been sanding the jeep getting ready for a monstaliner paint job. So currently it is stripped again but runs and drive flawless now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.