1998 Willys Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1998 Willys Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Layoric
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 Willys Jeep

It's not 100% done, but almost there. Still working on fabricating attachments so I can hold a shovel and axe on the passenger side.

Removed all the carpet and painted inside, repainted the dash black, removed the center console, custom fab bumpers front and rear, rear bumper with pintel mount and ball hitch, side mounted gas can, couple other interior tweaks.

I'm still debating on removing all interior molded plastic dash parts and replacing them with round gauges and flat panel design. Down the road I hope to have enough cash to buy old style CJ seats, but at $150 each and $80 for the conversion mounts it'll be a while. Oh, and I need to install the radio, maybe replace the stock radio antenna with a military style whip antenna.

Thanks to the guys who help point me in the right direction for rims, they make the whole look of the vehicle.

Total budget was $500 for this, have a little left but not much.

98_willy.jpg  
Layoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
99XJon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

that is pretty sick dude! more pictures would cool
99XJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That looks really cool, very military. Some copies don't pull it off well, yours does.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Layoric
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks gents...I also debated on the tan cover, I was going to paint it with acrylic based OD Green which bonds to it like it's a second skin but I went to the Iola (WI) Military show in August and saw an old WWII medic jeep with a tan top and thought it was a neat two tone look. Still may paint it if the tan top becomes too worn and stained.
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
wlmonk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice!
wlmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

kinda reminds me of mine...

but i used the wrong shade of OD.

looks good! i really want a tan top and tan soft doors. i also need to relocate the pinup girl and text so i can put the rear flares back on
thinking of adding some more text (USA, weight & specs, paint the dash and add data plate, etc). i'm jealous of your rims, though. i was looking at the stock Chrysler OE rims on coker tires but the cragars were cheaper. i decided to paint my headlight bezels OD though. i wish i had the stock front bumper, i wanted to paint the division info on it like you did.
any plans to do the interior?
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i like the jerry can on the side. and i think the tan top is fine

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

where did you get the wheels?? and its the best one ive seen so far on here
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Layoric
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think your shade of OD green is fine, yours looks more like a modern and vintage cross with the light rack and snorkel. They changed the color several times between WWII and Vietnam, so there really isn't a right color to use.

I wanted to remove the rear flares as well, but didn't want mud flying all over the place. Not that my tires are that aggressive, but they stick out just enough to cause an issue.

The rims I got were off an old Dodge Van and pick-up truck, full info from what I remember is at

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/t.../#post10202902

I've actually got two stock bumpers, one is from the Wrangler the other is from a Rubicon with the tow hooks on the top....interested?

Originally for the interior I was thinking..and I'm still thinking about stripping out everything plastic and replacing it with riveted aluminum panels so it looks more military style and more like the old Willys Jeeps. Only real issue is that I've got driver and passenger side air bags that I don't really know how to deal with. So even if I take everything out and replace it with custom fabricated dash and gauges, I'll still have that fat airbag steering wheel and area about the glove compartment that holds the airbag.

Some of the interior stuff was easy to get rid of, when I removed the stock shift console with cup holder, it revealed a longer stick shift (like the old Willys) and even had another rubber boot on the floor that look exactly like an old Willys. So that was an easy modification. I still left the boot around the emergency brake because there are gears and slots and wires connected to it. Just didn't want that being exposed.
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Layoric, thanks for the offer on the bumpers but i think shipping would probably be more than they're worth!

mind telling what paint you used? i really like your shade of OD in combination with the tan/spice top (i plan to go spice top & soft doors or possibly finding soft door frames and having everything made custom with tan canvas). the paint i used (rustoleum) was originally a pretty accurate shade, but the weather has really dulled it and made it less olive and more teal.
and looking at yours, i've realized i forgot to paint quite a few things (wipers, mirrors, sway bar, etc).
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
jschleeter

1988 MJ Comanche 

I love it. Great job.
jschleeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really like it but the front bumper is just a little to big.You could put the angle iron wire cutter on the front also.

Last edited by Prryan45; 09-30-2010 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
Layoric
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Paint is Warren F14172 Olive Drab Quick Dry Alkyd Enamel
You can use either Xylene or lacquer thinner to reduce it for spraying, but you don't need to add much at all. I didn't use a mix ratio, I just added a touch to the can on the spray gun and it laid down very nice. When I sprayed it without reducer, it had a texture to it, which is fine for the application, it is a military style paint job. Also I used an old spray gun, not my Sata, so don't think you need to buy some bad-*** top of the line spray gun to paint it. Plus I just painted it outside the shop, didn't use a booth and the finish looks fine. A couple flaws here and there, but again, for what it is, it'll work.
I used lacquer thinner because I already had a gallon of it. Paint should run around $30 a gallon, no need to add flatterer, no need to add harder, just spray on and you are good to go.

Yes, the bumper is quite stout. It worked nice for moving trees out off the trails. It's probably 50lbs of 6" solid steel C channel. The front suspension dropped about a half inch when I put it on. I have to finish up the rear bumper which is the same size but requires more fab/welding for the mounts...dear Lord, I just realized I've increased my carbon footprint by adding those bumpers!!

I'm also thinking about metal fender flares but again down the road when I have more funding, first thing I need are those throw back seats and they are pretty spendy.
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice looking.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.