1998 Jeep Wrangler Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1998 Jeep Wrangler Build

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 Jeep Wrangler Build

This is what it looked like the Day we brought it home. 1998 Jeep Wrangler, 32,000 miles. It had 31 inch tires on it, but nothing had been modified. It did have Polk Speakers, and Pioneer Radio. That was about it.

The first thing we did to it was take the hard top off hehe

Last edited by Kittie; 04-17-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Kittie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing we did to it (besides take off the cow print seat covers) was install a High Rock Bumper to it, complete with Bar and the D Rings.

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The next modifications we made were a different set of rims. The chrome rims that came on it were all pitted and flaking, and they just weren't looking to good anymore, so we bought a used set off a friend of mine. We also removed the decal that said Sport, in hopes of putting something else their in the future

And Of course, we got a Custom Plate for it!

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What are your plans for it?
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For Christmas, I bought my husband a set of KC lites, and some Neoprene Seat Covers! So those were the next few things we put on!

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I have a few more pictures to post. . . hehehehe
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We have now owned the Jeep for 10 months, and we are loving it. My husband has been saving and saving to buy a few more fun things for the Jeep. Two weeks ago we ordered our new parts. .

We ordered a Rough Country 2.5 inch suspension lift, with a 1.25 inch body lift. We also ordered new 33 inch tires. Time to get to work!
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Time to get to work!

The Old Springs

Rough Country Kit 2.5 inch Suspension, Shocks, and 1.25 inch Body lift

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So let me tell you a little story. .

We decided to do this work out at my dad's house becuase he was a mechanic for over 30 years and has an amazing collection of tools. They started work on the front of the Jeep, my friend Dan, and my husband.

The first bolt they tried to remove, wasn't turning. We live in Northern Michigan. This is a Michigan Jeep. It was garage kept for a few winters when the original owners bought it, but for the last 5 years, it has seen winter. . and salt. . So when someone "claims" this should be an easy bolt on kit. . . don't always believe them. We knew it would take longer. . but we seemed to run in to every single problem possible!

Both of the original front shocks ended up looking like this

After what seemed like forever. . the parts were off on the front
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a comparison of the Stock Springs, to the new Rough Country Springs that came with our kit

Time to put the new ones on! Finally!!

The Drivers side front went on without to much trouble . . but the passenger side front gave us issues. Our spring compressor didn't want to be our friend. It kept popping open, and wouldn't tighten correctly. . so we took some ratchet straps (rated for 1,500 pounds), and wrapped up the spring like a present!

We did finally get the front done. It was probably about 11:30 at night by now. . and we are still in my parents garage. . It's now dark outside. . we are using the air tools and banging on things. . . I was afraid we would wake them up!
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now to start on the back springs! Mind you . . when we started it was about 6pm, and it was light outside. We knew this would take us a while, but we didn't know how long. . and it was a Thursday night. . our tires were due to come in and be put on, on Friday . . so we had to get this done! Otherwise we would have to wait all weekend to get our tires! So they kept working like crazy! (I just got them, drinks, and food, and took lots of pics!) Notice. . it's dark out now. .

Here is a comparison of the rear springs

Push Push! You can do it!!

Whoo hooo!!
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the Suspension lift is on, the steering stabilizer bolt would NOT come off. They worked on it for an hour. . The only thing they didn't use was heat. . (yeah figures). They gave up and called it a night. It was after 2am. . So after 8 hours of work, the Suspension Lift was DONE!! We were high enough to at least clear the 33 inch tires, and knew we could do the body lift after that. What a job!!
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
wakeTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just a tip...If you would not have bolt the rear shock before putting the shock...you would have done it very easely.
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the next morning this is what she looked like

Now it was time to take and get the tires put on!

Oh and here is a picture of the bolt that was giving them so much trouble

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Kittie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

New 33 inch Cooper STT Tires!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.