1998 Jeep TJ "Black Stallion" - 4Cyl Cummins Build Project! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1998 Jeep TJ "Black Stallion" - 4Cyl Cummins Build Project!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 Jeep TJ "Black Stallion" - 4Cyl Cummins Build Project!

Hello and welcome to my thread.

I'm fairly new here and looking for some input on my latest "build" that I am planning on.

There is a decent story on how I got into Jeeps and how I acquired my first one, so, I'll give you the whole story from the start.

Ever since I was a little kid, I liked getting dirty. Who doesn't right? Going to my Uncles and getting tits deep in the river and getting stuck in mud was always a blast!
As I grew up my dad bought an 89 Jeep YJ- I instantly fell in love with it.
Over the years he swapped in 2 transmissions, and 2 I6 engines.
I helped with all the swaps that he did with his buddies and that's mostly where I got my love and passion for wrenching on cars.
We had a lot of fun in that Jeep.
One day I came home to no jeep in the driveway, I was severely sad that my dad ended up selling it.

Fast forward a few years, up until two weeks ago I was looking through the local classifieds and stumbled upon this Jeep.

"1998 Jeep TJ for sale!! $3500 - Brand new 6 inch lift kit, 3 inch body lift, brand new 35" BFG Mud terrain tires on eagle alloy rims. New clutch, master cyl, new rad and heater core + parts!

I thought nothing could be better than that! I totalled it up, there had to be at least 4g just in parts put into it! I e-mailed the guy and got a reply back within a few hours, he told me to bring $2700 cash and it was mine.

U-haul screwed me around a few hours looking for the right trailer, 4 hours and 6 u-haul reps later, found one.
I called u-haul and got a measurement for the trailer, 79.5".
I called buddy and got the outside measurement for the tires - 77"
Was it ever close!

After hours of hair pulling out trying to figure out if this Jeep will fit on this trailer...we finally left. $273.00 for the trailer later...

Got to buddys house with the Jeep sitting in the driveway running, at -32C it was so cold, but I tried my best to inspect it in the little time I could.
I gave him $2300 cash, loaded the Jeep on the trailer and drove away.
Finally got home at 3AM and parked the Jeep in the respected place it would sit for the next month before being able to drive it.

Now that everyone's read partly a novel about how difficult it was (and it seriously was!) to get this truck home, we can now enjoy a few pictures! POSTED BELOW.

I bought this Jeep a few weeks ago with the intent on it being my DD.
Like any used car- it always has something you don't necessarily see for the first time.
I made the mistake of not driving it before I loaded it, but without a tail light, I didn't want to get in **** by the 5-0.

The only thing it needs for a safety is a windshield and drivers tail light. The second gear in the ax5 is slipping so I'll probably just buy one from the scrap yard.

I don't know a whole lot about diesel engines so suggestions would be much helpful!

BUILD PLANS

Engine and Drivetrain
-Cummins 4BT engine
- Unknown transmission yet- suggestions? Prefur keeping it manual!
- Unknown t-case yet- suggestions?
-Dana 44 axles (what ratio should I use?)
-Fabricated Dodge rad
-Fabricated intercooler from a subaru or small rad.
-Hydroboost

Interior
Interior parts will be bought from quadratec.com

-Corbeau A4 bucket seats (black-grey)
-Corbeau Baja bench seat (black-grey)
-Nifty pro-line moulded carpet (black)
-Roll bar denim cover kit (black)
-Rugged ridge heavy duty tire carrier
-35" BFG mud terrain ta km2 tire
-Eagle alloy rim
-Kicker front dash speakers
-Sony xplod stereo
-Custom sound box with sub and speakers (behind rear seat)

Also thinking about getting the silver pack (door hinges, hood hinges, windshield hinges and door handles) opinions?

I've got a lot of work to do, so this will be a slow thread.
I'll try to update weekly!

*note* when suggesting ratios for axles, Somthing snappy and quick but gives me good amount of torque would be awesome, I'd like to refrain from having the jeep in 4th gear halfway through the intersection!

Questions, comments and suggestions welcome!

If anyone knows where I can find a 4BT Cummins in Canada or Ontario, please let me know!

Thanks guys!

S-R

396001_10150480377918981_515503980_8674912_1359705832_n.jpg   390991_10150480367278981_515503980_8674902_1921742965_n.jpg  
SAVAGE-RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Nosights
2000 WJ 

I suggest you start by going to www.4btswaps.com and reading up on what it takes to do a diesel swap. Then when you are fully discouraged from that you can decide just what to do next. I can tell you from personal first hand knowledge that whatever you think upfront it will take to do a diesel swap...triple it and you will be getting close to reality! Have fun and let the research begin!
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am an active member of 4btswaps.com

I have been researching for the last month about the 4bt and here's what I know.

There are mounts you can purchase for the 4bt to mount the engine or worst case scenario, fabricate the mounts.

Its possible to fit them in the tj as I have seen them fit in yjs such as one on this forum "marshtackie"

The intercooler piping will need to be re-routed so it can clear the hood.
Other small things like tach, odo and cooling is minor.

As for the weight of the engine, I have heavy duty springs already installed.

Its not like I'm swapping in a v12 dual turbo ferarri engine that needs all the ecm, tcm and computer controled units.

The diesels are like the old carb style v8 engines all they need is fuel, and a solenoid wire to run.

Thanks for your opinion.
Could you give me any pointers on how about to go forward with the project instead?

S-R
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Nosights
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE-RIDER View Post
Thanks for your opinion.
Could you give me any pointers on how about to go forward with the project instead?

S-R
READ, READ and READ some more! There are a number of others that have done this exact swap and you may want to check them out. Search on here, Pirate and the like.

Wiring, plumbing and motor mounts are the easy part. The 4bt is very TALL and you need lift to fit it. It is also very LOUD, go crazy with Dynomat and/or other types of sound deadening. Trans choice is also very important. You for sure want OD to take advantage of the low rpm of the 4bt. Getting the proper adapter, flexplate/flywheel and the like is where the research comes in. Don't be fooled by the small displacement of this motor...it is a torque monster and will kill weak drivelines.
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
redjeep1992
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey nice to see another ontario jeeper looking forward to this build I am thinking about doing a 4BT swap after my 4cyl gives up
redjeep1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks nosights,

I have a 3inch body lift, so the starter and the exhaust will clear the firewall no problem.
I was planning on going with a nv4500 tranny mated to a nv271 or ssome form of heavy duty t-case.

I have 6 inches of lift in the truck too so I will have ample of clearance from the oil pan.

Yes it is a small displacement (hp motor) and high torque and I will have no problem beefing up the areas that require it.

I'm not really concerned about muffling the exhaust, I might put a cherry bomb or something to make it sound a little more throaty (if thats even possible...???)
We have no emission restrictions in canada here so there will be practically no emission control on this truck!

I have read a lot lately! I'm sure I still have some more reading to do too!

Thanks for your help guys, appreciated!
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

i would ditch the 3inch bl and find another way to clearance things..
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowYJ View Post
i would ditch the 3inch bl and find another way to clearance things..
Maybe just lower the body lift, but a small one would help as the 4bts are tall engines. From what i have read about this swap on a cherokee it cant even be done without a 3" lift as it would hit the axle and stuff. But with a 4" lift you would probably have little problem clearing.

Edit*Guess i should have read the thread before posting, its only a page and i still only skimmed lol
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

snowYJ- The body lift will help with clearance issues, why would I get rid of my body lift if the 4bt is already a tall engine? It's already in the truck, the less work I have to do, the better.
If I'm going for a stock Jeep, I wouldn't consider putting a 4bt in it.

*update*

Since the Jeep is far from having the swap done, I am going to bring it mostly back to stock, minus all the upgrades I have on it already.

This weekend's shopping list:
Ax-5 transmission replacement (150.00) my second gear is gone
CB- Vortex muffler (135.00)
Advance adapters t-case bracket (35.00)
Brand new windshield installed (200.00)
Drivers side tail light (24.00)

I'll have pics of install later on next week!
cheers!

S-R
Unread 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

*update 2*

I sent a message to the guys at peak diesel performance looking for a 4BT in canadaa few days back and I just received this e-mail later this afternoon...

Quote:
Hi Nolan,

Harry from Peak Diesel performance sent me your email, regarding your search for a Cummins 4B engine. I have a few that I’m just in the beginning stage of overhauling. One has a VE rotary style pump, the other has the P7100 inline style pump. Do you know which style of injection pump, HP, rpm’s & lb. ft of torque you are looking for?

Thanks, Piers

I attached a picture of a 4B engine I built for South Bend Clutch’s mud runner SEEN BELOW

If anyone doesn't know what the SBC mud runner is....

S-R
southbend-2bexhaust.jpg  

Last edited by SAVAGE-RIDER; 01-30-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Nosights
2000 WJ 

I have seen that run in person. Not to theatrical, builds up boost...releases slipper clutches and flat out goes! I love it!!!!
Unread 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure if piers can build something that ultimate, he can easily build me a 4bt.

Imo, its better than getting one off ebay used, for pracically the same price.

My jeep won't be running any bud bogs or be building up 1400 pounds of tq, but having a pracically legendary engine in my truck makes me quite happy.

Piers said he could re-build me a 4bt with a p-pumped 7100, balanced, ported, and with a pro-turbo for just under 5g

I'd be happy with that!

I'll keep this thread updated with options for engines and a decision on one!
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
SAVAGE-RIDER
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hello again guys.

I have talked with Piers over the last few days and he has given me the price for a slightly modified 4bt cummins engine.

Quote:
For 5K I can give you 1, balanced, ported & rebuilt 4BT, with a 7100 p pump & a HX35 turbo, 58mm compressor wheel, 12 sq.cm. exhaust housing [stock is a HX30 turbo, 54mm compressor wheel & 10 sq. cm. exhaust housing] I will adjust the governor on the injection pump from its current max rpm of 2500, to 2800. HP & torque will be smooth & consistent, from about 1700 thru to 2800. HP and TQ rating will be 210hp and 460lb ft
I am severely stoked for the progress on this build!
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
97cencaltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats going to be a fun engine
97cencaltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you ****ing kidding me... $2300!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.