1998 5.9 Build - Jeep #3 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1998 5.9 Build - Jeep #3

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #61
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep dude, very clean, i love the photos of it, very artsy lol.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #62
Nosights
2000 WJ 

Your plugs really don't look that bad (obviously the one with the deteriorated top is). They look like they are burning fairly clean. How do you think the plenum pan is bad?
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #63
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Nice jeep dude, very clean, i love the photos of it, very artsy lol.
Thanks man. It's dirty as hell right now and needs a bunch of work, but I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosights View Post
Your plugs really don't look that bad (obviously the one with the deteriorated top is). They look like they are burning fairly clean. How do you think the plenum pan is bad?
The one with all that black crap on the top is from where the faulty wire was arching across the boot grease. The plug is fine. It runs very well now, with the bad wire replaced.

A lot of folks report the plenum as going bad after 100k miles. With 222k on the engine, I'd imagine it's bad. I have yet to do the proper intake vacuum pressure test, so I can't be 100% sure.

Got the 242 case cleaned up and put together. What is left now for the swap:
- Cut 1" off of the output shaft
- Replace the transmission rear seal
- Install 242
- Swap VIC wires
- Re-solder the VIC.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #64
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did all kinds of crap today. Never posted a picture of all the parts cleaned up.

Two days later, it became this. New chain, bearings (including differential needle bearings), seals, fork pads, o-rings, and rear oil slinger ($8 by itself. Dealership part).

Got the 249 out today and put in the new transmission output seal and torque shaft bushing. Was less of a pita than I thought it would be.

Was dicking around in the garage and for one reason or another, I happened to shake my front drivers wheel. It wobbled like a SOB, so I tore it down. Hub assembly had murdered itself. The axle nut was loose too, but Dad and I both remember torquing it down with the impact...9 months ago. Just one of those things I guess.

Da Vid - http://youtu.be/GzxiX0WP89c

Started working on my Euro-glass headlight conversion. Ran into some issues with fitment. Have yet to work those out, but the beam pattern is much improved over stock. The wiring isn't done, primarily the signal connection from the Jeep harness. Have the piece for that ordered and will soon be done the way I want it to be done. For the test, I jumped the ground and the low/high beam on the relay harness. Worked like a charm.

Low beam - Wanted to start the engine to get 14v to the lights, but the tcase is out and I don't want tranny fluid spraying everywhere.

High beam

The drivers side light is crooked as hell. The euro lamps don't really line up the same as the US lamps. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but it is indeed an issue.

The 242 should be in tomorrow.

My Photography
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #65
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I wish my 249 was that clean when it came out lol and does it matter which side the light is on for drivers or passengers?
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #66
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
I wish my 249 was that clean when it came out lol and does it matter which side the light is on for drivers or passengers?
Haha. It's been out, apart, and cleaned before. All the paint on the ID tag is gone.

Yeah. They're marked LH and RH. The lights only attach at three points.

My Photography
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #67
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ah ok cool was wondering if you put them in backwards and thats why they were crooked lol.
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #68
Benja
1997 ZJ 

Nice niner ! news?
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #69
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benja View Post
Nice niner ! news?
X2

Plus I have to ask, How did you come across all your Auto knowledge? And Great Photography too man

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #70
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benja View Post
Nice niner ! news?
Thanks! The tcase works just as it should. With the swap brought some clunking that I need to check out. I think the trans mount bracket to transmission bolts are loose as I can see some rub marks on the bracket. I also got sick of the belt squeak and bought a goodyear gatorback for it. Not a peep out of that yet. Also, the torque convertor is having issues when warm, which is pretty awesome since it's just over a year old...

If anyone is curious, with the ESY 242, I had to get my driveshaft cut down 1". Cleaned, cut, balanced, new Spicer 1330 u-joints pressed in, and painted was about $260 out the door. They did a great job and am totally okay with paying what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
X2

Plus I have to ask, How did you come across all your Auto knowledge? And Great Photography too man
Thanks as well. Well, Dad's been a mechanic his whole life and a true car guy at heart (was his profession for a while) so that helps. I guess reading the FSM and internet for stuff kind of helps you figure stuff out more easily. Sharpens your "automotive brain", so to speak.

Thanks for the photography compliment! The stuff in this thread is *alright*. Definitely not my best work. I save my personal site for that.

My Photography
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #71
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pulled the trans for the second time in 15 months. Took us just over 3hrs. That's a new record for us. We're getting pretty good at this...

When I dropped the pan to drain the fluid out of it, the magnet that we put inside before sealing everything up was covered in shavings, and not the normal wear shavings. Can't wait to tear it down to see what's no longer where it should be...

My Photography
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #72
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The exhaust arrived from Amazon. 12589 Muffler and 94039 Converter. 3" In and Out on both. Also, full stainless steel.

Straight-thru design pretty much eliminates backpressure, as far as the muffler is concerned. Not sure how much it's going to move the torque/power curve. Hopefully not too much. I like my low-rpm torque.

Marine-cleaned and Metal-readied the stock tailpipe. Will be doing the same with the factory y-pipe (dropped it do to the rear main seal and pan gasket) and then painting both with high-temp silver paint. I'm gonna try to polish the hell out of the muffler tip too. It's not the nicest one out there, but I'll try to work my magic on it.

POR-15 products. These are normally used prior to application of por-15, but they work fine for any finishing process.

More bad news on the transmission. When we tore it apart, we found nothing to explain the large amount of metal shavings on the magnet. This leads us and my neighbor (transmission parts distributor) to believe that the torque converter is coming apart. He warrantied it for us. He also got us a new overdrive housing because my old one was all kinds of jacked up inside. The overdrive bearing snap ring had worn into the case, giving about .030-.040" of extra end-play we DON'T need. Also the surface that the OD bearing rides was all torn up from the old overdrive bearing spinning in the housing. The new housing is much better, although, assembled, we have .050" extra overall endplay. Something's jacked up.

This whole transmission thing is getting really annoying.

My Photography
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #73
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Guess it's time for an update. Tranny rebuild #2 is going well. Too much end play in the rotational mechanisms. Shimmed them up to .004" away from minimum spec and this thing shifts tight as a whistle. No problems to report here. On the exhaust, I'm absolutely loving it. It's quiet enough with the windows up, AC on and radio on to where it sounds stock. Put all the windows down, turn off the radio and shift to second gear calls for fun times. Sounds absolutely fantastic. Not a peep from the computer with the Magnaflow converter and NTK oxygen sensors. The opened up exhaust definitely moved the torque band up a bit, but it still has plenty of power to peel the tires off the road.

Over the past few months, I've put on both front hub assemblies (went Timken), oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gasket and rear main seal, and finally a harmonic balancer and front crank seal as the rubber (stock) was starting to separate. I went with a one piece dorman assembly. No problems to speak of.

For accessories, I finally bit the bullet on a set of husky floor mats for the front. They fit great and hug the carpet nicely. They haven't moved an inch since I put them two weeks ago. Its amazing all the crap that gets carried into the Jeep when you get in. Should make cleaning easy. Now to get the rest of the set.

The huskys:

I'll get a good video of the exhaust soon. Been busy with school lately.

My Photography
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #74
Jeep1998XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep
Jeep1998XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #75
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

I just got the 94039 catalytic converter ill be putting it on my obd2 5.2. How is it working for you still? Have you had it through emissions yet by chance? And CEL still off?
Jeep318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.