1998 5.9 Build - Jeep #3 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1998 5.9 Build - Jeep #3

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to go 217 with the original rotor. It wouldnt run.

Unread 12-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskiskeeter View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to go 217 with the original rotor. It wouldnt run.
Okay, sure. But still. On original plugs and wires is still ridiculous.

Got the sub. amplifier power and signal wires ran underneath the carpet. Just gotta Hookup the ground and power cables to the amp, signal cable to the headunit and back together goes the dash!

Also, Dad bought a boat load o parts. To name a few... platinum plugs, plug wires, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, trans filter/pan gasket, both hatch struts, cv boots for both sides of the d30, the tool for put them on/off, drive belt, all 3 wiper blades, 12 quarts of tranny fluid ($60 right there), distributor cap and rotor and pcv valve and hose.

Let's say I'll be busy tomorrow.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Damn your dad bought all those parts for you?
You have a nice father.
I like your build by the way, I'll be watching it.
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskiskeeter View Post
Damn your dad bought all those parts for you?
You have a nice father.
I like your build by the way, I'll be watching it.
Yeah. I didn't have a clue it'd be as much as it was. I ordered the PCM on my account so I can feel like I'm contributing something to the cause.

My Photography
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Should say it wasn't getting spun by the belt. It was just slipping the whole time and making a bunch of racket.

My Photography
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #21
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Part 2

My Photography
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
jeepmanjc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lookin good man, bet u cant wait to get her on the road
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #23
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

You gonna swap the 242 into the 5.9 or leave it in the red one? I've heard that a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING 249 is hard to beat in terms of traction, but I've owned two 249's now (90k and 130k) and the VC was toasted in both of them. If you decide to do the swap, it should be a direct swap for both Jeeps.

I just did my 242 swap and am waiting on a new rear shaft from Tom Woods. Haven't got to do the obligatory burnout yet. I like the 242 since I have the option of running it in full time for the snow, part time for all-out traction, or 2WD in the summer when the roads are good.

Which brings up another question - did you ever confirm a mileage increase after the 242 swap on the red one? Unless I am missing something, I wouldn't expect to see any increase at all in mileage, or maybe just a slight (<1/2 mpg) increase. Justification being that unless you have a disconnect front axle, everything that is spinning in 4WD is STILL spinning in 2WD due to the "always-engaged" nature of the unit bearing hubs. The front driveshaft, axleshafts, and everything else is still spinning in two-wheel drive. Only difference is you aren't sending any power down to the front axle, but you still have all the frictional losses associated with 4WD.

Just a thought. If you did indeed see a mileage increase, that would be great. Lord knows I could use it. I average 14.5-15.0 mpg with my 5.9, and 80% of that driving is highway. I have a bunch of engine mods, but most of them should have INCREASED mileage. Haven't changed that cap/rotor/plugs/wires, yet, so maybe that's what I need to do. Just have a hard time believing a simple tune-up is going to get me to 17 mpg, which I guess is where I thought I should be with my Niner.

Sorry if I crapped in your thread...
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipka98zj View Post
You gonna swap the 242 into the 5.9 or leave it in the red one? I've heard that a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING 249 is hard to beat in terms of traction, but I've owned two 249's now (90k and 130k) and the VC was toasted in both of them. If you decide to do the swap, it should be a direct swap for both Jeeps.

I just did my 242 swap and am waiting on a new rear shaft from Tom Woods. Haven't got to do the obligatory burnout yet. I like the 242 since I have the option of running it in full time for the snow, part time for all-out traction, or 2WD in the summer when the roads are good.

Which brings up another question - did you ever confirm a mileage increase after the 242 swap on the red one? Unless I am missing something, I wouldn't expect to see any increase at all in mileage, or maybe just a slight (<1/2 mpg) increase. Justification being that unless you have a disconnect front axle, everything that is spinning in 4WD is STILL spinning in 2WD due to the "always-engaged" nature of the unit bearing hubs. The front driveshaft, axleshafts, and everything else is still spinning in two-wheel drive. Only difference is you aren't sending any power down to the front axle, but you still have all the frictional losses associated with 4WD.

Just a thought. If you did indeed see a mileage increase, that would be great. Lord knows I could use it. I average 14.5-15.0 mpg with my 5.9, and 80% of that driving is highway. I have a bunch of engine mods, but most of them should have INCREASED mileage. Haven't changed that cap/rotor/plugs/wires, yet, so maybe that's what I need to do. Just have a hard time believing a simple tune-up is going to get me to 17 mpg, which I guess is where I thought I should be with my Niner.

Sorry if I crapped in your thread...
I'm leaving the 242 in the red ZJ. The small size of the chain scares me, as well as the case having seen better days. (400k miles/19 years). The 249 seems to be fine in the 5.9. I have yet to drive it more than up and down the road, but I think it's okay.

There was a mileage increase. Steering was also much easier as the 242 wasn't putting power to the front axle while turned to lock. I agree, lock-out hubs would truly benefit the mileage. I think where you get the most benefit is when you're turning.

The 5.9 is almost tuned up as we speak. Have to put in the passenger side plug wires, but other than that, everything is fresh. The new PCM, from what I've heard, should make the engine run a bit better itself. I'm excited to see how it runs when everything is fixed.

My Photography
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #25
MoparBoy01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey would you sell that extra niner grille you got. The one I got today comes with a crappy black stock one. Your niner is the same color as mine. Let me know if you would sell it, pm me with answer, info all that good stuff. Nice Niner though, I cant wait to build mine up.
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
MoparBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #26
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Done with work for the week and am getting ready to go back to school. Am having a hell of a time finding a pcv valve grommet. I found a pdf on scribd.com of ALL of the mopar parts numbers and their descriptions for 1998 ZJ. Dad's going to jeep tomorrow, so I'll have him take the part numbers while he gets my keys cut.

It's a bummer I can't take it to school yet, but might as well fix it right the first time.

Also, the resurfaced PCM I bought turned out to not be the problem. When the diagnostic test says to jump a relay and doesn't tell you to take out the jumper, don't take it out. I learned this one the hard(ish) way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoy01 View Post
hey would you sell that extra niner grille you got. The one I got today comes with a crappy black stock one. Your niner is the same color as mine. Let me know if you would sell it, pm me with answer, info all that good stuff. Nice Niner though, I cant wait to build mine up.
PM sent

My Photography
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #27
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
Done with work for the week and am getting ready to go back to school. Am having a hell of a time finding a pcv valve grommet. I found a pdf on scribd.com of ALL of the mopar parts numbers and their descriptions for 1998 ZJ. Dad's going to jeep tomorrow, so I'll have him take the part numbers while he gets my keys cut.

It's a bummer I can't take it to school yet, but might as well fix it right the first time.

Also, the resurfaced PCM I bought turned out to not be the problem. When the diagnostic test says to jump a relay and doesn't tell you to take out the jumper, don't take it out. I learned this one the hard(ish) way.
I, too, had problems with finding a PCV grommet. When I went to the cast aluminum Jeep logo valve covers, have fun finding the correct grommet (I've since found out that the grommet was SUPPOSED to be included, but wasn't).

What I wound up doing was just finding a generic PCV grommet off the shelf at like Autozone (I think it was either Spectre brand or Mr. Gasket) and then just try and locate a PCV valve that fits the grommet. There are a million different PCV valves out there and a PCV valve is a PCV valve. Doesn't matter if it wasn't made for the vehicle, they're pretty much all the same. And they have PCV valves in all different sizes.

The grommet didn't fit the greatest (mainly due to the design of the valve covers) so I put some RTV on it before I pushed it in. Hasn't moved since and I'm not pushing any oil out the valve covers so it's working fine.

Just shut the hood and ignore it, you'll be fine, lol.
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipka98zj View Post
I, too, had problems with finding a PCV grommet. When I went to the cast aluminum Jeep logo valve covers, have fun finding the correct grommet (I've since found out that the grommet was SUPPOSED to be included, but wasn't).

What I wound up doing was just finding a generic PCV grommet off the shelf at like Autozone (I think it was either Spectre brand or Mr. Gasket) and then just try and locate a PCV valve that fits the grommet. There are a million different PCV valves out there and a PCV valve is a PCV valve. Doesn't matter if it wasn't made for the vehicle, they're pretty much all the same. And they have PCV valves in all different sizes.

The grommet didn't fit the greatest (mainly due to the design of the valve covers) so I put some RTV on it before I pushed it in. Hasn't moved since and I'm not pushing any oil out the valve covers so it's working fine.

Just shut the hood and ignore it, you'll be fine, lol.
Someday, I'll get the aluminum covers. They're expensive (not that expensive) for looks, but it'd be freaking awesome to have. They're sick.

We tried that at Napa, but had not luck. The ones the stores have are the two pieces for the drivers side, oil to air box.

My Photography
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #29
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Someday, I'll get the aluminum covers. They're expensive (not that expensive) for looks, but it'd be freaking awesome to have. They're sick.

We tried that at Napa, but had not luck. The ones the stores have are the two pieces for the drivers side, oil to air box.
They can't find you what you need?

I am not talking about asking the parts counter guy to look through his computer for the grommet, I am just talking about going over to their "performance" section over on the walls (you know, by the chrome SBC valve covers and breathers) and finding a grommet there that fits the hole in your valve covers. It may wind up being one for a breather.

At this point, the new grommet's ID might not match up with your PCV valve. NOW you ask the parts guy to look in the back for a PCV valve that fits the inside diameter of your grommet and has a 3/8" nipple on it (preferably 90 degree). Then just take some 3/8" hose and run it from your PCV valve to your manifold.

Make sense?
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #30
Takylo
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

I had the same issue, but I got mine from O'reilly auto parts.
Takylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.