NP-242 Transfer Case

Jeep Modification/Repair List Since Purchase

Engine:
- OEM Jeep PCV Valve
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- New Crankcase Vent Grommet and Element
- Idler and Belt Tensioner Pulleys
- Napa serpentine belt
- Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt (Napa squealed even after warranty replacement)
- Dorman Harmonic Balancer
- Oil filter adapter gasket
- Oil pan gasket
- Rear main seal

Fuel + Ignition:
- Napa/Belden spark plug wires
- Napa/Belden distributor cap and rotor
- Champion Platinum spark plugs
- NGK 2756 copper spark plugs (Installed while diagnosing pinging. One range colder than OE spec)
- 4-hole Fuel Injector upgrade. Sourced as a flowmatched kit from eBay

Cooling System:
- Radiator from radiatorbarn.com
- Upper and Lower hoses for a 5.2 cut to fit 5.9 Electric Fan coolant temp switches
- Stant Radiator Cap
- Stant 195* Thermostat
- ACDelco Water Pump
- VDO fan motor replacement with Motorcraft pigtail. Plug and play replacement.

Intake + Exhaust:
- Intake Manifold Plenum Pan aluminum replacement with Fel-Pro gaskets.
- New Intake Air and Coolant Temperature sensors
- Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
- NTK Oxygen Sensors
- 3" Magnaflow Catalytic Convertor
- 3" Magnaflow Muffler
- OE Tail Pipe

Transmission:
Rebuild 1
- Replaced some steel discs and all soft parts.
- Overdrive disassembled and rebuilt with new clutches.
- New torque convertor
Rebuild 2
- Would not hold pressure in 3rd. Would downshift into second until throttle valve pressure was applied and when slam into gear. Diagnosed as too much endplay. - - Seal rings would not hold be in correct location. Rebuilt at almost minimum play spec with larger spacer rings.
- New torque convertor per warranty.
- Overdrive housing replaced due to bearing snap ring wearing into housing.

Transfer Case:
NP242 (from 97 ZJ 4.0)
- Full Rebuild and Direct Swap
- VIC wiring connector change
- Linkage rebuild kit for XJ. New bushings and center support bearing.
- Rear Driveshaft shortened 1" to accommodate longer rear transfer case output, rebalanced and new 1330 Spicer U-Joints.
- Transfer case not modified as it would not solve the interference issue (common misconception)

Front D30:
- Carrier bearings
- Dorman Reman CV Shafts
- Timken/Precision Hubs

Rear D44a:
- Full overhaul, w/o LSD rebuild (functions 100%)
- Installed a set of used axle shafts. Mine were wore out by the wheel bearings.

Brakes:
- PowerStop Brake Pads F+R
- Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors

Steering & Suspension:
-Front-
- Spicer Ball Joints
- Moog trackbar
- Moog upper/lower control arms
- Monroe steering stabilizer
- Mevotech greasable sway bar end links
- Mevotech 26mm swaybar frame brushings
- Monroe Sensamatic Shock Absorbers

Electronics:
- Crown E-Code Headlamps
- PIAA H4 Bulbs
- Headlight Relay Harness (bypasses factory wiring for more voltage to bulbs)
- Clear Front Corner Parking Lamps
- Alpine Head Unit iPod/MP3/CD/AM/FM
- Boss Sub Amplifier (very small)
- 1980 era Subwoofer
- Infinity Reference speakers in Front Doors and Sound Bar. Rear Door speakers removed.
- Bulldog Remote Start (Winter only. Slight parasitic draw)
- Napa Right Front Window Regulator.

Misc:
- Brand new OEM keys cut by dealership from VIN
- New Hatch Struts
- Rubber Cup Holder Insert
- Disassembled and repainted gauge needles (orange model paint)
- Emergency Brake rebuild
- Rear wiper motor lubricated with WD40 and brought back to life by hand-force.
- Disabled memory seat function and PDM swap from 96 ZJ with keyfobs
- Drivers-side heated seat repair

If anyone has questions about anything I've done, feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help

Pictures from when I got it:

Brand new spare; never mounted.

See less See more
#2 ·
spoiled... What does the engine need to be "fixed up". I always liked those jeeps

#4 ·
The engine is great, minus a noisy pulley (coming from the alternator area. My 5.2 does the same thing). Transmission is pretty wonky right now, but hopefully that's a simple fix. Overdrive needs rebuilt, but that's easy.

awesome present man!!

i bet that 5.9 is a BEAST! im jealous
It is! Even at quarter throttle it's nuts. I'll definitely have to keep myself from "opening it up". :2thumbsup:

#10 ·
Okay. Lets try posting a third time...

Got the stereos out of both Jeeps and the 5.9 is ready for the Alpine. Just gotta get the 5.2's interior torn apart to get the amp wiring out.

We're looking at the 5.9s transmission today. Hopefully we don't have to rebuild...

#14 ·
My dad found a deal. The only thing I got on my list was a camera backpack. I felt bad about getting a 5.9, but after I was told how much he paid, I didnt anymore. He'll make his money back for sure with the sale of the 96.

#15 ·
After continuous retesting and insuring that the tests were done correctly, it is for sure the PCM. Ordering one here in a minute with the same tuning as my broken one. (Fed emissions tuned to run on premium fuel)

I swapped the the 5.9 grille I bought a long time ago at the junkyard with the one off of the 5.9. The JY grille has some paint chips and a broken. I figured when I inevitably hit a deer, I'll still have a solid 5.9 grille to use.

Got all the custom wiring taken out of the 5.2 and ready to put it into the 5.9.

Also, the 5.9 has never had any of these parts changed: spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor, or coil. Everything is original. The radiator even seems original, as it has the mopar sticker on the side of it.

This thing's going to run GREAT with all the new parts we're putting in it. Very excited to finally drive it!

#17 ·
Okay, sure. But still. On original plugs and wires is still ridiculous.

Got the sub. amplifier power and signal wires ran underneath the carpet. Just gotta Hookup the ground and power cables to the amp, signal cable to the headunit and back together goes the dash!

Also, Dad bought a boat load o parts. To name a few... platinum plugs, plug wires, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, trans filter/pan gasket, both hatch struts, cv boots for both sides of the d30, the tool for put them on/off, drive belt, all 3 wiper blades, 12 quarts of tranny fluid ($60 right there), distributor cap and rotor and pcv valve and hose.

Let's say I'll be busy tomorrow.

#23 ·
You gonna swap the 242 into the 5.9 or leave it in the red one? I've heard that a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING 249 is hard to beat in terms of traction, but I've owned two 249's now (90k and 130k) and the VC was toasted in both of them. If you decide to do the swap, it should be a direct swap for both Jeeps.

I just did my 242 swap and am waiting on a new rear shaft from Tom Woods. Haven't got to do the obligatory burnout yet. I like the 242 since I have the option of running it in full time for the snow, part time for all-out traction, or 2WD in the summer when the roads are good.

Which brings up another question - did you ever confirm a mileage increase after the 242 swap on the red one? Unless I am missing something, I wouldn't expect to see any increase at all in mileage, or maybe just a slight (<1/2 mpg) increase. Justification being that unless you have a disconnect front axle, everything that is spinning in 4WD is STILL spinning in 2WD due to the "always-engaged" nature of the unit bearing hubs. The front driveshaft, axleshafts, and everything else is still spinning in two-wheel drive. Only difference is you aren't sending any power down to the front axle, but you still have all the frictional losses associated with 4WD.

Just a thought. If you did indeed see a mileage increase, that would be great. Lord knows I could use it. I average 14.5-15.0 mpg with my 5.9, and 80% of that driving is highway. I have a bunch of engine mods, but most of them should have INCREASED mileage. Haven't changed that cap/rotor/plugs/wires, yet, so maybe that's what I need to do. Just have a hard time believing a simple tune-up is going to get me to 17 mpg, which I guess is where I thought I should be with my Niner.

Sorry if I crapped in your thread...

#24 ·
I'm leaving the 242 in the red ZJ. The small size of the chain scares me, as well as the case having seen better days. (400k miles/19 years). The 249 seems to be fine in the 5.9. I have yet to drive it more than up and down the road, but I think it's okay.

There was a mileage increase. Steering was also much easier as the 242 wasn't putting power to the front axle while turned to lock. I agree, lock-out hubs would truly benefit the mileage. I think where you get the most benefit is when you're turning.

The 5.9 is almost tuned up as we speak. Have to put in the passenger side plug wires, but other than that, everything is fresh. The new PCM, from what I've heard, should make the engine run a bit better itself. I'm excited to see how it runs when everything is fixed.

#25 ·
hey would you sell that extra niner grille you got. The one I got today comes with a crappy black stock one. Your niner is the same color as mine. Let me know if you would sell it, pm me with answer, info all that good stuff. Nice Niner though, I cant wait to build mine up.

#26 ·
Done with work for the week and am getting ready to go back to school. Am having a hell of a time finding a pcv valve grommet. I found a pdf on scribd.com of ALL of the mopar parts numbers and their descriptions for 1998 ZJ. Dad's going to jeep tomorrow, so I'll have him take the part numbers while he gets my keys cut.

It's a bummer I can't take it to school yet, but might as well fix it right the first time.

Also, the resurfaced PCM I bought turned out to not be the problem. When the diagnostic test says to jump a relay and doesn't tell you to take out the jumper, don't take it out. I learned this one the hard(ish) way. :thumbdown:

PM sent

#31 ·
Emailed Jeep to ask for the build sheet. Got it a few days later!

Sales Code Description
*ML Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
-AZ Agate
AFFP Luxury Group
AHX Trailer Tow Group IV
APAS Monotone Paint
ARPP Limited Decor Group
ARVP Plus Decor Group
A07P 5.9L Engine(EML)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGT)
BA6P 150 Amp Alternator
BCES 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRGS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel-Disc Brakes
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKDS Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKRS Cargo Net
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUDP Mini Overhead Console
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGTS 4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHRP Single Speed On Demand Transfer Case
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMEP 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
DRKP Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle
DSAP Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
EML 5.9L V8 MPI Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEGP Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
GR3P Left Power Fold-Away Mirror
GS3P Right Power Fold-Away Mirror
GT3P Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GWAP Power Sunroof
GXMS Remote Keyless Entry
HABP Air Conditioning w/Auto Temp Control
HGAS Hood Insulation
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JKAS Locking Glove Box
JPAS Power Windows
JPBS Power Locks
JPMP Heated Front Seats
K4SS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K5SP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LACS Illuminated Entry
LAGS Warning Chime
LAZP Vehicle Information Center
LBBS Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
LCBP Door Courtesy Lamps
LDAS Underhood Lamp
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
LEWP Radio/Driver Seat/Mirrors Memory
LMGP Automatic Headlamps
LNJP Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
LSAP Security Alarm
MDA Front License Plate Bracket
MFNP Body Color Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MVAP Limited Badge
MVBP Grand Cherokee Badge
MVCP Jeep Badge
MVDP 4X4 Badge
MVEP V-8 Badge
MWAP Roof Rack
NAA Federal Emissions
NF5S 23 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHMS Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
NMXP Maximum Duty Engine Cooling
PS4 Bright Platinum Metallic Clear Coat
QS4S Bright Platinum Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAZP AM/FM Cassette Compact Disc Radio
RCMP 18 SPKRS SRT High Perf Audio
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCLP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRPP 225/70R19.5G All Pos Traction Tires
TZAS Goodyear Brand Tires
WDUP 16X7.0 Aluminum Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XGDP Universal Garage Door Opener
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
Turns out that Jeep didn't put transmission coolers on any of the 98 Jeeps, even if it has the towing package. Jeep, for some reason, didn't think it needed it. The odd part is, that the part numbers for all of the cooler lines and all, are in the 98 zj parts catalog. Odd...

As far as getting her going, she needs:
  • Torque Convertor
  • Tranny Rebuild
  • Overdrive Rebuild
  • Rear Axle Shafts
  • Finish setting up the D44a
  • PCV Valve/Grommet @ valve cover
  • Install new CV Boots

#33 ·
Emailed Jeep to ask for the build sheet. Got it a few days later!

Turns out that Jeep didn't put transmission coolers on any of the 98 Jeeps, even if it has the towing package. Jeep, for some reason, didn't think it needed it. The odd part is, that the part numbers for all of the cooler lines and all, are in the 98 zj parts catalog. Odd...

As far as getting her going, she needs:
  • Torque Convertor
  • Tranny Rebuild
  • Overdrive Rebuild
  • Rear Axle Shafts
  • Finish setting up the D44a
  • PCV Valve/Grommet @ valve cover
  • Install new CV Boots
Only cooler involved is the one on the side of the radiator, probably why the lines are available.

After you rebuild the tranny, make sure you install the biggest GVW plate-style cooler that you can afford. I had a 30k GVW cooler on my old 5.9. Make sure that you eliminate the check valve in the original cooler lines. Cooler supposedly adds a lot of life to the 46RE. How much are you paying for a rebuild or are you doing it yourself?

#35 ·
Paid for a set of used shafts for the 44a and should have those next week.

Things left to do-
  • Setup and assesemble Rear-End
  • Rebuild and install transmission and overdrive
  • Install new CV-boots upfront
  • Swap remote start over to 5.9
  • Put dash back together
  • Reinstall front bumper
  • Swap trailer hitches
  • New OEM key cut
  • Install PCV system with new grommet

#37 ·
No. Unfortunately, Dad hasn't been able to get to the dealer to see if they can get it. I asked him if he thought he could get there this week. He said would try.

Got the (ring and pinion) rearend setup, but 3 of the parts (pinion nut, oil slinger, and lockpin) are for the wrong diffs. 2 parts for the d30 and 1 for d35. I'm Gonna call drivetrain today and try to order the right parts.

#38 ·
No. Unfortunately, Dad hasn't been able to get to the dealer to see if they can get it. I asked him if he thought he could get there this week. He said would try.

Got the (ring and pinion) rearend setup, but 3 of the parts (pinion nut, oil slinger, and lockpin) are for the wrong diffs. 2 parts for the d30 and 1 for d35. I'm Gonna call drivetrain today and try to order the right parts.
Bum deal on the R&P parts.

As far as the grommet, allow me to try and help. Taken from the factory parts catalog that I happen to have for the 98 ZJ, here are some part numbers. Quoted prices are from Moparpartsamerica.com, your local dealer will probably be slightly more:

PCV Valve: 53051135 - $5.13 ($6.35 list)
PCV Grommet: 53030017 - $3.64 ($4.50 list)
Breather Grommet: 02946079 - $4.12 ($5.10 list)

Those are factory parts so they should work. I didn't have time when I was doing my Mopar cast aluminum covers to wait for the correct grommets to come in, so I just got what they had to make it work. Now I am not so sure the factory grommets would have worked anyways. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. If its not too much trouble, could you post a picture of whatever grommet you wind up using? If it works for you, it might work for me.

#41 ·
-Got the rear diff finished. Just need to fill it with fluid/modifier and mount the tires.
-Tranny parts arrived yesterday. Getting all the stuff cleaned up and rebuilding it. Overdrive hasn't been rebuilt yet, so ONE MORE week until it's all done. We've had it for almost 2 months and it's still not done...
-Put the dash back together along with the remote starter. Gauge cluster got its needles painted.
-Reinstalled bumper cover with brand new nylon blind rivets. (if anybody's interested in these, I can tell you where to get them.
-Sandblasted/painted the diff cover and tag. Looks much better than rust.
-Front shafts are out and ready for cv boot install. It's had its hubs replaced recently. They're awfully shiny.

Some pictures because I was bored...

#43 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.