1998 5.9 Build - Jeep #3
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
Bright Platinum Metallic Paint
225-70-R16 BFG Long Trail
Dana 44a with Working LSD
NP-242 Transfer Case
Current dent/scrap count: 11
Jeep Modification/Repair List Since Purchase
- OEM Jeep PCV Valve
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- New Crankcase Vent Grommet and Element
- Idler and Belt Tensioner Pulleys
- Napa serpentine belt
- Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt (Napa squealed even after warranty replacement)
- Dorman Harmonic Balancer
Fuel + Ignition:
- Napa/Belden spark plug wires
- Napa/Belden distributor cap and rotor
- Champion Platinum spark plugs
- NGK 2756 copper spark plugs (Installed while diagnosing pinging. One range colder than OE spec)
- 4-hole Fuel Injector upgrade. Sourced as a flowmatched kit from eBay
- Radiator from radiatorbarn.com
- Upper and Lower hoses for a 5.2 cut to fit 5.9 Electric Fan coolant temp switches
- Stant Radiator Cap
- Stant 195* Thermostat
- ACDelco Water Pump
- VDO fan motor replacement with Motorcraft pigtail. Plug and play replacement.
Intake + Exhaust:
- Intake Manifold Plenum Pan aluminum replacement with Fel-Pro gaskets.
- New Intake Air and Coolant Temperature sensors
- Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
- NTK Oxygen Sensors
- 3" Magnaflow Catalytic Convertor
- 3" Magnaflow Muffler
- OE Tail Pipe
- Replaced some steel discs and all soft parts.
- Overdrive disassembled and rebuilt with new clutches.
- New torque convertor
- Would not hold pressure in 3rd. Would downshift into second until throttle valve pressure was applied and when slam into gear. Diagnosed as too much endplay. - - Seal rings would not hold be in correct location. Rebuilt at almost minimum play spec with larger spacer rings.
- New torque convertor per warranty.
- Overdrive housing replaced due to bearing snap ring wearing into housing.
NP242 (from 97 ZJ 4.0)
- Full Rebuild and Direct Swap
- VIC wiring connector change
- Linkage rebuild kit for XJ. New bushings and center support bearing.
- Rear Driveshaft shortened 1" to accommodate longer rear transfer case output, rebalanced and new 1330 Spicer U-Joints.
- Transfer case not modified as it would not solve the interference issue (common misconception)
- Carrier bearings
- CV Shaft boots
- Timken hubs to replace foreign non-marked units. One was about to fail, the other for peace of mind.
- Full overhaul, w/o LSD rebuild (functions 100%)
- Installed a set of used axle shafts. Mine were wore out by the wheel bearings.
Steering & Suspension:
- XRF Ball Joints
- Moog trackbar
- Moog lower control arms
- Monroe steering stabilizer
- Mevotech greasable sway bar end links
- Raybestos 28mm swaybar frame brushings
- Crown E-Code Headlamps
- PIAA H4 Bulbs
- Headlight Relay Harness (bypasses factory wiring for more voltage to bulbs)
- Clear Front Corner Parking Lamps
- Alpine Head Unit iPod/MP3/CD/AM/FM
- Boss Sub Amplifier (very small)
- 1980 era Subwoofer
- Infinity Reference speakers in Front Doors and Sound Bar. Rear Door speakers removed.
- Bulldog Remote Start (Winter only. Slight parasitic draw)
- Napa Right Front Window Regulator.
- Brand new OEM keys cut by dealership from VIN
- New Hatch Struts
- Rubber Cup Holder Insert
- Disassembled and repainted gauge needles (orange model paint)
- Emergency Brake rebuild
- Rear wiper motor lubricated with WD40 and brought back to life by hand-force.
- Disabled memory seat function and PDM swap from 96 ZJ with keyfobs
- Drivers-side heated seat repair
If anyone has questions about anything I've done, feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help
Pictures from when I got it:
Brand new spare; never mounted.
spoiled... What does the engine need to be "fixed up". I always liked those jeeps
awesome present man!!
i bet that 5.9 is a BEAST! im jealous
I know what you mean about being suprised! My dad paid for a thousand dollars of my Highline fenders and then bought me a GPS and then gave me 185 bucks to whatever mod I want
lucky! i got some clothes... had my fingers crossed for some new leaf springs... guess ill do that on my own dime. in like 3 years. college is expensive haha
Damn, nice Jeep. I love the 5.9's
congrats on the 5.9!! i had one and loved it!
that was quick haha, she is nice man...........lucky sob haha.keep me updated on the repairs, the trans issues worry me
Okay. Lets try posting a third time...
Got the stereos out of both Jeeps and the 5.9 is ready for the Alpine. Just gotta get the 5.2's interior torn apart to get the amp wiring out.
We're looking at the 5.9s transmission today. Hopefully we don't have to rebuild...
After continuous testing tonight, we have determined the 5.9 needs a PCM. GRRRRRR
The signal-in wire coming from the governor pressure sensor has an internal short to 5v supply in the PCM.
damn dude. you are one lucky person!
Since no one has asked this question why did you get a 5.9 for Christmas. When you were making a list did you just happen to jot down a 5.9 or was it a deal your dad found and couldn't pass up.
After continuous retesting and insuring that the tests were done correctly, it is for sure the PCM. Ordering one here in a minute with the same tuning as my broken one. (Fed emissions tuned to run on premium fuel)
I swapped the the 5.9 grille I bought a long time ago at the junkyard with the one off of the 5.9. The JY grille has some paint chips and a broken. I figured when I inevitably hit a deer, I'll still have a solid 5.9 grille to use.
Got all the custom wiring taken out of the 5.2 and ready to put it into the 5.9.
Also, the 5.9 has never had any of these parts changed: spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor, or coil. Everything is original. The radiator even seems original, as it has the mopar sticker on the side of it.
This thing's going to run GREAT with all the new parts we're putting in it. Very excited to finally drive it!
|The time now is 04:59 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.