1998 4.0 moved to a 2000 4.0 Jeep G Chr - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1998 4.0 moved to a 2000 4.0 Jeep G Chr

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
xdmshawn

1998 4.0 moved to a 2000 4.0 Jeep G Chr

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee with a 4.0 w/183k miles. Runs and drives great. Just needed a front end alignment and 2 new tires. While I was having it evaluated at a shop they let me know of about $1900 in leaks. So, while looking for a set of used tires to match the two good tires on the Jeep, I happened to find a used, 100k mile, engine, trans, and transfer case from a 1098 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $300 (after much negotiations) and purchased it. I figured I could rebuild the entire motor with new gaskets and all and swap the original out for cheaper than fixing the current leaks.

Am I thinking correctly or missing something? Granted, there is the work and cost of parts. However, I can do this through the winter and swap the drive train at my leisure so not seeing the downside yet. Then I will sell the existing 183k mile drive train for the same as I paid for the 100K set-up, or close anyway.

Thoughts?!?!?! Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by xdmshawn; 11-21-2013 at 08:50 PM..
xdmshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
xdmshawn

bump
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you search "ZJ 4.0 in WJ", a few threads on different forums pop up.

I think it *can* work...I have a 00TJ block in my 97...but it doesn't work easily

Here's a quote I found:

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

Edit: I see you already have the engine...maybe check into how hard it will be to get your harness & ac lines etc to hook up to the zj accessories.....Will everything clear/fit into your jeep if in the zj accessory/belt routing setup?

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
xdmshawn

I have not had a chance to get that far into it. Given the potential issues, I may just put the engine on a stand in the garage, rebuild it and stick it in another ZJ next spring. Thanks for the info!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.