1997 XJ: Project Restore - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1997 XJ: Project Restore

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-14-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

1997 XJ: Project Restore

Just brought home a 1997 XJ. Plans are to do a mild build/restore to get the girl ready for some daily driver duties with mild off roading sprinkled in. Long term would be to replace the LJ so I can save money for other non-Jeep things (why do they even exist?)

Basic specs:
Sport, Green, 4.0, Auto, 4x4, 8.25 Rear. 147K on the clock.

Making a worklist for all the stuff that needs to be done.

Things that need to be done ASAP:

Brakes are toast. Need to check/replace em and change the fluid. EDIT: After inspecting the fronts and seeing that they were in good condition I bled the brakes and they are working better. Will check the rears once I do a bearing swap.

Noise from rear end, sounds like a bearing or the rear diff- Changed fluid in the diff looks fine, no metal shavings, fluid was full, going to check the TC, drive shaft, rear brakes next. (why the f%^& couldn't I hear it during the test drive?) EDIT: Appears my best bet is to change wheel bearings and u-joint. Will complete soon.

Coolant looks like pink mud. Flush once it cools down from today. Calling this one good. Flush seemed to work, coolant mean and green again. I drained the radiator to find the PO had only put in water and had run it that way for quite some time. It was literally water + rust. Luckily no oil.

Get it out in the Woods. Will always be on my list.

Long Term Goals:

Ignition Tune up Complete.7/24

Leaky oil pan/possibly rear main seal. Bumping this up to a higher priority. Drips a fair amount after I shut down from being hot. I'm leaning towards the valve cover gasket now. Just need some time off work to get stuff complete.

Change tranny fluid.

Front diff fluid.

Rear hatch lift shot. Complete.7/24

Tail pipe loose somewhere. Did a quick check while it was running, the rubber isolater just behind the muffler looks like crap. Might junkyard a new one, also thinking new muffler sometime now. Current one is rusty and cruddy.

Gas tank gurgles after shut down. Only happens when full to 7/8s full?

Oil pressure all over the place (sometimes hi sometimes lo but never extreme) Probably the oil sender unit.

Turn signals don't disengage when wheel goes back to 12'o clock. Just like a motorcycle!

Passenger side door locks and window switches are fubar somewhere.

Grille painted flat black after the PO had an accident a while ago + the hood and roof are toast. Not that big a deal, but might push me to do a lil painting.

Lift + Tires eventually.

Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here are some quick picks I shot. Pretty standard, the cool sh%$ won't happen until I get her running straight.

The girls together:

Obligatory LJ shot:

Unread 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A shot from the rear diff: looks pretty good. After fluid change I still have a noise. Got to keep looking but it's hard to be motivated in the hot July sun.
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Coolant looks like s%^&. Will post a pic tonight but holy crap. Also got some parts in the mail
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's the state of the coolant:

Flushed it for 15 or so minutes and filled it back up. Probably will look at it again sometime soon but not too worried about it now. Also bled the brakes, they did have some air in them and appear to be working better especially with the new fluid. I inspected the fronts and they looked fine, so I will check on the rears when I do the bearings.

Also cleaned up the battery terminals and sprayed with corrosion inhibitor, starts like a champ!

After all the work I took this shot:
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not much happened last week other then driving it to work back and forth. Did get it a little dirty though.

Also found this lift at the junkyard. Guy wanted 200 for it. Kinda steep considering the condition...

And some parts arrived to begin the "restore":
Unread 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the wheel bearings out, they were STUCK. Parts store didn't have a slide hammer, so I made one out of all thread and some 2" Pipe. What a $&%^# it was to get those things out. Made up a few new swear words but it's done.
Unread Today, 12:19 AM   #8
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Attempting to pull the Driver side bearing:

After many hours we got it here:

Hope to never do that again.
Also Cleaned the Throttle body, IAC, TPS:
From This:

To This:

And I took the LJ for a late night spin in the woods:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.