1996 XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1996 XJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
JeremyXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1996 XJ Build

So I acquired this Jeep from the original owner (my aunt) for free because the transmission had failed and no one wanted to take it as a trade in. It had 150K on it, rotten carpet, dents, and a strong 4.0.

I swapped in a low mileage AW4, ripped out the carpet, painted the rims, tinted some lenses, debadged it, and started driving the hell out of it. Here are two of the only pictures I have of it when it was in this stage:

I also swapped the dummy light cluster for a tach cluster and put blue LED's in everything. The cell phone pictures don't really do them justice.

Unread 06-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
JeremyXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

After a few years, the tires were looking pretty bald and I knew I wanted to replace them with something bigger. I installed a two-inch spacer/shackle lift in anticipation of bigger tires.

Then I came upon a free set of stock FJ cruiser tires with about 300 miles on them. They are 265/70/17, which is roughly a 31x10.5, but for a 17" rim. I found some new 17x8.5" aluminum rims and had them mounted.

I had to trim the fender flares a little and they still rub over big bumps and when the wheel is at full lock. I hope to install some Bushwacker flat style flares at some point to fix this.
Unread 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lol. This is 96 XJ free build..coz you always got free stuff we pay$$$$ for...

I bet your aunt is home crying for giving away it for free now...lol
TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
JeremyXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced all of the plastic on the front of the Jeep with new pieces. Here is the before, with the cut up grill:

Here's the refreshed front with new pieces:

Then I replaced the bumpers with new OEM-style bumpers and painted the end caps black.
Unread 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
JeremyXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The next project was to take care of the rust spots on the upper sides of the roof, just above the drip rails. There were about four small rust spots and two of them had gone through the steel. My process for fixing them was like this:

Sand with 180 grit
Cover everything with rust converter
Fill holes with JB Weld
Tape off
Sand with 180 grit
Rustoleum black primer
Rustoleum spray on bed liner

Here are the results:

In this picture, there is a small raised section that was one of my patch areas. You really wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out. Overall, it turned out pretty nice.

I put a ton of the rust converter into the bottom of the drip rails, since there were traces of rust in them. Hopefully the mix of converter, sanding, primer, and liner will keep the top of this thing rust free for another twenty years.

I plan to put more of the spray on liner on the lower rocker panels sometime soon, but I'd like to take out some of the dings first.
Unread 06-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
JeremyXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post
Lol. This is 96 XJ free build..coz you always got free stuff we pay$$$$ for...

I bet your aunt is home crying for giving away it for free now...lol
Yeah, I've been pretty fortunate to score some free stuff. Everything I've purchased has been pretty cheap, too. The most expensive purchase so far has been the rims and they were only $400.

My aunt is just pleased to see it being taken care of, really. She replaced it with a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland.

When the Jeep rolled over 200K, I replaced every single seal, gasket, and hose under the hood (including the rear main and oil pan). I'm at 210K now and it doesn't use or leak a drop of oil. I installed some Taylor plug wires, new cap and rotor, water pump, belts, thermostat, and some miscellaneous sensors. It runs like a champ and I really like driving it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.