1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Security Deck EnclosureSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2

I have always loved Jeep's; (with the exception for the Liberty's not a fan) my dad used to take me to watch the local muddin club The River Runners on the holiday's and where he would go muddin with his trail Duster, I noticed the CJ's that were out there and fell in love with Jeeps. Now that being said I have not been able to get one until now; but that I have I really enjoy it. In May of this year, I was driving my Chevy S10 Blazer and the tranny went out so that day I went on Craigslist and found a 1995 ZJ Limited with the 5.2. for $1000 it only have 189,000 mile on it so I figured something was really wrong with it. I went to look at it that night and everything looked fine maybe a tune up and the brakes were bad. I asked why he's selling it, he said because he doesn't want to spend $400 on getting the brakes done. I held back the smiles. And he said the back hatch doesn't open. but everything else was fine. So I paid him the $1000 and ran as fast as I could. I got it home and took the door skin off of the back hatch. the little clip was disconnected so zip ties to the rescue. After that it was time to go through it completely to get it running and make sure everything was working the way it should. Changed all the light bulbs put a JVC stereo in, put my Cobra CB and PA in, Bought new brake pads form amazon then put them in, went to the local Napa and bought some NGK's and drove it for a while. I also changed the oil of coarse. Once all that was done I decided to add some window visors, so back to amazon $36.90 later I had window visors.

jeep-day-one.jpg  
corycarr84 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

After driving it for a couple weeks I noticed that it leeks oil and anti-freeze, so for now I'm just watching it but I bought a new thermostat mostly because of the over heating when the AC is on, just haven't put it in yet. the summer wasn't hot enough so I used the 360 air conditioner that I used to. As far as the oil leak I figured that it was the plenum but I figured I'd try the easy stuff first so I bought the PCV and CCV valves, put them in. drove it for a while still leaks. I will be putting a new plenum gasket in hopefully this winter, it's burning 1qrt every 1000 miles. The Cruise control also didn't work, as I was putting in the spark plugs I noticed that a vacuum line going into the plenum was disconnected so I hooked it back up, low and behold the cruise works now.
Sense I still had the Blazer and the tires on it were pretty descent yet, I put them on the Jeep. I almost forgot the "Service the 4X$ switch" error keeps going off. I don't normally even notice it anymore, just another thing that i need to fix.
I also put in new Back hatch shocks.
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Now that most of the problems are fixed and everything is running good; it was time to add that lift kit that I have always wanted to have. I decided that i needed some off road lights; I got some nice Speaker Lighters that are brighter that my high beams. Mounted them in the brush gaurd. Then it was time to once again back to Amazon.com I bought a 2" Spacer lift kit. and the Air lift bags for hauling for the back. Having never put a lift in before I figured that I would start in the front get the hard part done first. I was reading somewhere that I should be able to do the whole Lift kit in about 1.5 to 3 hours, that didn't happen it took about 4.5 hours for the front, well there was and oil change in that time to, I also ended up needing to change both of the sway bar linkages. I ran out of time to finish so I drove around for a week with the front end in the air. looked funny to me. The next weekend I finished the back that only took about 2 hours. Looked great, I get the tires all on and check the air pressure and that's when I realized that I forgot to put the airbags in. Damn. job for another day. But the lift looks pretty good the the 235/75/R15 Goodyear Wranglers on it.
10-10-14-jeep.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Last night I put subs in the Jeep first time in years that I have had them in a vehicle.
My plan's for the future are but not limited to, fixing the oil and anti-freeze leaks, fixing the VIC error. adding Exhaust I'm thinking Flow-master but haven't decided. I really want a set of 31" tires I either going to with BFG AT or the new Wrangles also haven't decided. New rims when I buy the 31's because its about the same cost and buying the wheel spacers. A rook rack and a Warn wench would be nice. and Rancho shocks all around.
My plan is to use this jeep on the weekends for fun on the trails and in the mud holes and also as my DD. Someday i will get a Jeep just for off road but it's taken this long to get this one I can't wait that long until I get in the mud. Hell I went muddin with it before i had the wrangle tires on it; it wasn't pretty but it was fun.
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

I also have a excel spread sheet to keep track of everything i spend on the jeep it works great down to oil changes.
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

I was also thinking that I should change the tranny fluid, and both front and rear dif oil.
Unread 10-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

I almost forgot I also need to put in a new set of head lights there is water in the current once. When i do that sense i have to take the grill guard off, i plan to put a new antenna on.
It sure is nice to have a place to put all my thought's, this way I wont forget to do something.
Unread 10-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

I was driving though our fields and the ditch with the kids and I hear some binding, turns out when I put the lift in I must not have tightened the front sway bar link bolt tight enough because it fell off, so I ordered another one. Sense i was ordering I ordered some tow hooks for the front, and a rear sway bar bolt. Now just to get the time to get it all done.
I also got my JeepForum decals and put them on.
capture.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Must have forgotten to tighten the sway bar link when I put the Lift kit in because i lost the bolt and nut that was holding it into the axle. Ended up buying another set and replacing the it. it happens. I also ended up having time to put my tow hooks in this weekend. I wanted to make sure I had them before this winter comes.
towhook1.jpg   towhook2.jpg   towhook3.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice build! I miss my ZJ, terribly. They are fun Jeeps.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Bought some BFG All Terrain 31's on Jeep rims for $350, they rub a little on the controller arm at full turn so I bought 1.5 wheel spacers. Next will be the exhaust; I have heard people just replacing the muffler with a pipe, not sure i like that idea, they have also cut the muffle and tail pipe out and put a turn down on the cat, or a thrust glass pack and finally a flowmaster 40. haven't decided.
capture1.jpg   capture-2.jpg  
Unread 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Lookin' good! For what it's worth, I had a Flowmaster 40 on my 5.2 ZJ and it sounded great.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaska View Post
Lookin' good! For what it's worth, I had a Flowmaster 40 on my 5.2 ZJ and it sounded great.
Thanks, I want to get that V8 deep rumble but I dont want it so load it gets me tickets, because as we all know with load exhaust comes reving the motor normally followed by tickets.
Unread 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
corycarr84

1995 ZJ 

Put some 1.5 wheel spacers on the Jeep last Friday looks really nice, no more rubbing on the control arm; I did have to trim the bumper cover just a little bit, but its only plastic so tin snips worked great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.