1990 YJ "Iriwn" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1990 YJ "Iriwn"

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_Nut1218 View Post
I am going for just a 4" (+-.5) SUA. I dont want to get in to SOA. Do you mean that you would give up corning with SOA or with softer springs? I've heard different things about the track bar.. Anything is better than what it is now so I'll have to experiment a little. Thanks for the info.
Yes, with softer springs you give up cornering. But there is a trade off for a smoother ride and more articulation. Also, one mistake commonly made on SOA is using the top of the housing designed for a bump stop as a spring pad. The reason the springs seem softer with this arrangement is that the spring bends more in the middle that anywhere else. A good kit will have a weld on spring pad that is equal in length to the plate that bolts on with the u bolts. This also takes care of a lot of axle wrap. The track bar is not really necessary on a YJ like it is on the coil spring TJ, at least at slow speeds. What this does is keep you from having bump steer at road speeds and is particularly beneficial for a lifted rig. It does limit articulation however when hooked up. I think one of the slickest things I have seen is a collapsible bar that was from JKS I think. You just undo a bolt and it acts kind of like a shock absorber and then when you are done, you tighten it up. Best of both worlds. But if you are going for a spring under kit, you might want to check out Rubicon Express also. Rustys is cheaper on the retail price, but they really nail you on shipping and handling and more than make it up there. RE also has much better customer service.

ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoXJ View Post
Yes, with softer springs you give up cornering. But there is a trade off for a smoother ride and more articulation. Also, one mistake commonly made on SOA is using the top of the housing designed for a bump stop as a spring pad. The reason the springs seem softer with this arrangement is that the spring bends more in the middle that anywhere else. A good kit will have a weld on spring pad that is equal in length to the plate that bolts on with the u bolts. This also takes care of a lot of axle wrap. The track bar is not really necessary on a YJ like it is on the coil spring TJ, at least at slow speeds. What this does is keep you from having bump steer at road speeds and is particularly beneficial for a lifted rig. It does limit articulation however when hooked up. I think one of the slickest things I have seen is a collapsible bar that was from JKS I think. You just undo a bolt and it acts kind of like a shock absorber and then when you are done, you tighten it up. Best of both worlds. But if you are going for a spring under kit, you might want to check out Rubicon Express also. Rustys is cheaper on the retail price, but they really nail you on shipping and handling and more than make it up there. RE also has much better customer service.
Ok I understand. I kno basically what axle wrap is and that it's bad, but not specifically, could you explain? (I'm a n00b). Good to kno about RE/Rusty's. Where did you find the JKS track bar?
JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_Nut1218 View Post
Ok I understand. I kno basically what axle wrap is and that it's bad, but not specifically, could you explain? (I'm a n00b). Good to kno about RE/Rusty's. Where did you find the JKS track bar?
Axle wrap is when the axle rotates under power. This changes ujoint angles and is common on leaf spring suspensions. If you already have a steep ujoint angle, like many YJs do anyway in the rear then you can rotate the axle enough under enough power when decelerating in low range to break a ujoint. The lower the spring rate, read softer ride) the more this is possible. One thing you can do and something I think is recommended is a slip yoke eliminator. This allows you to run a CV joint on the tcase end on a drive line that looks like this.

This will allow you to change your drivel line geometry from this

to this

Here is the link for the telescoping track bar

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...bar_Components
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I get it now. My angle isn't quite that sharp but it's close.. Hopefully I'll be able to get the SYE/CV soon after I get the lift and just deal with the T-case for the time being. Thanks
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
ms198
1985 CJ7 

im not sure about rubicon express but if you buy rusty's, you are buying an american product. i don't know about you, but that was a big selling point for me. its an american vehicle, so don't ruin it with cheap chinese products.
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #21
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms198 View Post
im not sure about rubicon express but if you buy rusty's, you are buying an american product. i don't know about you, but that was a big selling point for me. its an american vehicle, so don't ruin it with cheap chinese products.
Alright that's good to kno. I hate all that Chinese s***. Definitely will consider rusty's, thanks
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So about spring rates, what would be an ideal number? The Rusty's kit says 165 lbs.
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

never talked to costumer service for re but i did for rustys and i actualy spoke to rusty him self he is there every day if you call and ask for him i have been running with out my track bars for about a week now and havent noticed a difference at all except for added flex i think it is personal opinion and driver style and i love my booms i ordered them from quadratec and i just ordered two sets of currie rears and shipping was a hundred for my lift to sc
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bft89yj View Post
never talked to costumer service for re but i did for rustys and i actualy spoke to rusty him self he is there every day if you call and ask for him i have been running with out my track bars for about a week now and havent noticed a difference at all except for added flex i think it is personal opinion and driver style and i love my booms i ordered them from quadratec and i just ordered two sets of currie rears and shipping was a hundred for my lift to sc
Currie rears.. shackles? And yeah I looked at rusty's, they really do get you on shipping but it's still a lot cheaper and skyjacker or RE, which were my top two.

Anybody know about the Spring rates though?
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #25
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah the rear and front shackles on a yj are exactly the same im running the currie rear shackles both front and rear they are working great it definitely smoothed out the ride a good bit
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #26
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright kool. I'll take those into consideration, thanks.
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #27
wickedquick2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice sunset. do you ever lay back and look at it?
wickedquick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #28
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

lol I couldn't figure out wth you were talking about at first but yes i occasionally do
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #29
wickedquick2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so how much offroading do you do? i live right by u and know some good spots that you can go to.
wickedquick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #30
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where do you go to school? I don't go enough, been hesitant because of my suspension and I wouldn't have the money to fix anything if it broke. Where are the spots?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.