1990 YJ "Iriwn" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1990 YJ "Iriwn"

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It seems like whenever I'm reading through other jeeper's builds on here, I want to see more pictures and less text.
So I figure I should start my build and include tons of pics, as they really are worth a thousand words..

If you're just starting to read this, you might want to skip the first ten pages or so, it's pretty boring.

I bought "Irwin" the summer going into my junior year (2010). First vehicle and first manual I am currently a sophomore at Michigan Tech (2014)

I like to do things myself and do them right so I only have to do them once. I won't be cutting any corners.

On a side note, the vast majority of things I've learned so far have come
from this forum. Thank you JF for being awesome

Some specs when I first got it:
1990 YJ
5 speed manual
4 banger
3" shackle lift with stock springs by PO
30x9.5xR15 Toyo Open Country A/T
Pacer 15" wheels
115000 miles
Hardtop

BTW I'll update the first page to keep current with mods.

Current mods as of August 2012:

-BDS 3.5"

-Ford 8.8 with 4.10s and BTF Kryptonite diff cover

-Dana 30 with 4.10 and BTF Kryptonite diff cover

-Tom Woods CV drive shaft with Advance Adapters SYE kit

-Rebuilt AX5 Transmission

-MORE 5/8" Boomerang shackles in the rear

-33 x 12.5 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs

-15" Restored Pro Comp Wheels

-MetalCloak base front bumper with custom stinger

-Pro Comp base rear bumper with custom stinger and tire carrier

-VIAIR OBA system with 400C compressor, two gallon tank, and train horns

-Windshield mounted long range KC Daylighters

-Front bumper mounted KC Rally 800 with driving lense

-Restored hardtop with full steel doors

-Tan soft top

-Black Bikini, Jammer, Duster combo

-VDP Custom center console and custom sound bar.

What I started with:

Some of the things I've done:

May 22, 2011- BDS 3.5"

June 29, 2011- Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 33x12.5x15

August 2011 Rust Repair

Crown stainless steel extended brake lines (November 2011)

Pro Comp Rear Bumper (December 2011)

Viair OBA system and train horns (March 2012)

MetalCloak front bumper (March 2012)

Ford 8.8

Tom Woods CV DS and AA SYE

Custom front stinger

Custom rear stinger and tire carrier

Restored Pro Comp wheels

As he sits now (October 2012)

JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

HOLY SHACKLE LIFT BATMAN!!!! Looks good though! Clean Jeep! Cant wait to see you build it! oh and welcome to the forum
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
HOLY SHACKLE LIFT BATMAN!!!! Looks good though! Clean Jeep! Cant wait to see you build it! oh and welcome to the forum
lmfao I just said the same exact thing in my head not a second before scrolling to your post.

Scary shackles but looks like it will be a fun jeep build.
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hahaha thanks! Yes they are a little on the ridiculous side... It throws of the handling way more than it should (even with the skyjacker SS) the PO must not of cared too much.
Unread 01-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

VDP Sound Bar

I just installed the sound bar that I got for christmas (for the most part anyways)
The light in the center still needs to be wired in but thanks to the PO, my wiring is a nightmare
photo-0040.jpg   photo-0041.jpg   photo-0042.jpg   photo-0039.jpg  
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^Sorry for the large images^. I'm hoping to install my new center console this weekend, should be pretty easy if all goes well..
3.jpg   2.jpg  
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got the console in. Only took about an hour. I had to cut the carpeting but I think it looks/works good. I think that my seats are crooked though.. (pic 3)
7.jpg   5.jpg   8.jpg  
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have suggestions for a lift? like what is a good brand and what not. I already kno to stay away from pro comp. I've been looking at warrior, skyjacker, rubicon express, etc. they seem to be the best. Hoping to get a 4" +- .5 inch.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
ms198
1985 CJ7 

i don't know if rusty's makes a yj lift, but you might call them and see if they can. i bought my lift from them and it rode a lot better on the road and was an easy install. it included everything that i REALLY needed. I think yj's need a slip yoke eliminator but im not sure, and that would be something you would have to buy separate. otherwise it is a good product and i really liked it. if they don't or can't make one for you, i vote rubicon express.
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I'll look into it. Thanks for the info. And yeah I think they need the SYE as well, either the t-case drop or an SYE and CV driveshaft.
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Yonco
2008 JK Wrangler 

The center console looks great, almost to nice to put into a yj. The Black diamond 3.5 lift has got a lot of good reviews, and it is a tad cheaper than an OME or RE. Quadratec has it the BD kit. What are the 2 switched below your speedometer? My dash is just a blank space there.

OLD YJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1991-yj-project-quickie-1146445/
Yonco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey man i just put on a rustys lift on mine and it came with everything i would recommend not to use those shackles get some currie boomerangs thats what i got and ditch the track bar stuff but the rustys kit is great i definitely recommend it. it will give you about four inches of lift plenty to clear 33s
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

When you are looking at lifts, there are two kinds basically. Spring over and spring under, or you can combine the two. There are kits for both. It is a good idea to compare spring rates when you shop. The less the spring rate, the nicer it will ride. However you do give up cornering when you do so. Personally, I am not a fan of shackle reversal, but I am sure some will disagree with me on that. They can ride a little nicer, but many times you have to get a long spline drive line to go with them. When you lift it, make sure you retain your track bar. It will keep you from having bump steer.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my kit came with a t dase drop and im using it for now till i get a cv and sye
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yonco- The center console looks great, almost to nice to put into a yj. The Black diamond 3.5 lift has got a lot of good reviews, and it is a tad cheaper than an OME or RE. Quadratec has it the BD kit. What are the 2 switched below your speedometer? My dash is just a blank space there.
Haha I thought the same thing.. Thanks though. Ok it seems like a solid brand. I'm doing some more in depth research for lifts now so hopefully it will clarify some things. There are actually 3 switches and one is rear window defrost (which doesn't work), one is rear wiper (works) and the other is fog lights i think (which i dont even have)? the label has worn off so I'm not entirely sure. You may not have them if you have a factory soft top, just a guess.

Quote:
bft89yj- Hey man i just put on a rustys lift on mine and it came with everything i would recommend not to use those shackles get some currie boomerangs thats what i got and ditch the track bar stuff but the rustys kit is great i definitely recommend it. it will give you about four inches of lift plenty to clear 33s
Yeah i was definitely planing on ditching my current shackles, they are ridiculous lol. Do you like the boomerangs? I was looking at those too. Ok thanks for the info. I'll add rusty's to research list. And that's also what I want to do, 33" Duratracs.. speaking of that any opinions on them?

Quote:
ChicoXJ- When you are looking at lifts, there are two kinds basically. Spring over and spring under, or you can combine the two. There are kits for both. It is a good idea to compare spring rates when you shop. The less the spring rate, the nicer it will ride. However you do give up cornering when you do so. Personally, I am not a fan of shackle reversal, but I am sure some will disagree with me on that. They can ride a little nicer, but many times you have to get a long spline drive line to go with them. When you lift it, make sure you retain your track bar. It will keep you from having bump steer.
I am going for just a 4" (+-.5) SUA. I dont want to get in to SOA. Do you mean that you would give up corning with SOA or with softer springs? I've heard different things about the track bar.. Anything is better than what it is now so I'll have to experiment a little. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
bft89yj- my kit came with a t dase drop and im using it for now till i get a cv and sye
That's what I plan on doing also. I wouldn't have the $$$ for both at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.