1990 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1990 yj

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 yj

Howdy from New Mexico I've had several Cherokees over the years. I'm on my way as I'm typing (a buddy is driving) to pick up a 1990 YJ with a 4.2 I6. Needless to say I'm freaking stoked. The YJ is bone stock I would really like to lift the thing. I know it's been asked a million times and I have found some good info already on the site but I would like some more current input. I've got about 2-3k to spend and I'll be doing the install myself. Can y'all recommend any brands and or experience with any brand. I wound not be doing any crazy rock crawling mainly hunting in the deserts of southeast New Mexico I would like to run 31" or 33" tires I would really like to not spend more then the 3k total on lift and tires. I would also really like to avoid the death wobble any help would be awesome

Killswitch505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

No real easy answer, though there are some good brands and some to stay away from. How important is ride quality? I would recommend to keep the suspension height as low as possible unless you want to install a Slip Yoke Eliminator and CV drive shaft. You could start with some Old Man Emu 2.5" springs and add a 1" body lift if you still need more height. If you still need more room you can do some 5/8" boomerang shackles. If this is purely for getting out where you need to go, smaller tires and a locker will do more than 33's and open differentials.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Randonexplosion thank you for the response. the ride quality is important to me. i would like a more aggressive looking stance and a little more ground clearance the more i look around the more i find that a 2.5-3'' lift should do the trick.

i just got home with her it was a 205 mile trip with no major problems. the thing tracks straight as an arrow heck probably better then my wife's brand new 4 runner. the suspension is stiff as heck and the guy said he put a new clutch in a few months ago but it has a little whine when the clutch is engaged and disengaged im thinking it maybe the throwout bearing not sure why that was not changed with the clutch. my buddy was following me home asked if i could slow it down the speedo is off by exactly 10 mph thinking i was doing 65-70 it was really 75-80. the soft top needs a little TLC the window are really hazy and the front door skin windows are all zip-tied permanently shut. i'm not sure if a whole new top is going to be needed. is there an easy way to get the haze out of the vinyl windows? all in all im thinking i scored with a price tag of 4500

Unread 01-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful Jeep man. No offense intended, but it drove well? Looking at those front shackles makes me think it would wander all over the place.

August YJOTM

Unread 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Beautiful Jeep man. No offense intended, but it drove well? Looking at those front shackles makes me think it would wander all over the place.
None taken yeah I thought the same thing when I seen the front end but yes it ran straight as an arrow. It was a rough ride as far as bumps and stuff but at 70mph I could take my hand off the wheel with almost no wonder
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
thatguy383

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a zone 2.5 inch lift, they use bds springs. love the price and finished product look at my build thread, the ride quality is good, but theu aren't broken in yet I expect.
[SOLD XJ Black, 2 door]
76 CJ5 deep project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
thatguy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get bds springs, or OME, but bds would be a lot better for the warranty, you'll be happy with the 3.5" springs with a 1" shackle lift, and probably a 1" body lift as well. And you should a good amount of room for the 33's

DISCLAIMER: YOUR ACTIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MONITORED.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh congrats on the jeep

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

5.5" of lift for 33s? For 3.5" springs you had better plan on a SYE and CV driveshaft. Here is mine on 3.5" BDS springs and 5/8" shackles, so 4 1/8" of lift.

August YJOTM

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
5.5" of lift for 33s? For 3.5" springs you had better plan on a SYE and CV driveshaft. Here is mine on 3.5" BDS springs and 5/8" shackles, so 4 1/8" of lift.
You are also cloak'd

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those shackles need to go. They are dangerous to say the least. Way too tall. If you say under 3" on the suspension you will avoid the death wobble. 1" shackle, 1" body and under 3" on the suspension. You can run 31s on stock suspension. 31s would look silly with a total of 5" lift IMO.

Sweet Jeep. welcome to the money pit...I mean forum.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris
Get bds springs, or OME, but bds would be a lot better for the warranty, you'll be happy with the 3.5" springs with a 1" shackle lift, and probably a 1" body lift as well. And you should a good amount of room for the 33's DISCLAIMER: YOUR ACTIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MONITORED.
I have that setup minus the 1" BL and it is great for 33s. Plenty of room to stuff your wheels and it has a nice stance. I put on 3.5" BDS springs and they were money well spent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
So this is a little preview for me then Same setup but I have 1" booms already on there.

Having not used any of the springs, my countless hours of research always ended up at BDS, OME, Zone, and RE. I went with 3.5 bds. the price is a bit frontloaded but the no BS warranty is worth it. You can order by part number on their website and they are about $112 per corner, vs the whole kit being nearly 1k. you may not need some of the stuff in kit.

check the vendor section, most of them will occasionally have a promo code for 10% off
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have nothing but good to say about my BDS springs.

Same suspension and my 35s don't touch my cloaks either 1390344618226.jpg
1390344673813.jpg

August YJOTM

Unread 01-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thatguy383 just checked you your build looks good thanks for the info

AmmitOsiris thank you for the kind words

Randonexplosion thats one good looking ride

Que89YJ i got some new shackles on the way!!! as far as a money pit im hoping this thing is not going to be as as bad as my other hobbies lol ive got a little machine/welding shop i build motorcycles in now plus im a gun nut reloading and such also im starting to get into gunsmithing

well i called my cousin sent him some pics blah blah blah...... he said i would be better off piecing together a kit but..... he just put a 2.5 Rubicon Express on his buddies wife's jeep said it was probably the best ready to go kit he has ever put on also said the ride was great. so i'll probably be kicking myself in the *** later but i ordered the kit and also some .5 shackles. being that i stayed under the 3'' i really dont want to do a yoke and CV job any advice pros/cons please let me have it. im pretty sure all i'll be able to run are 31'' tires maybe 33'' if i add a 1'' body lift.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.