1990 XJ - That was then, this is now.... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1990 XJ - That was then, this is now....

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #91
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhf56 View Post
dude this thing is badass great work
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
thats awesome on the sponsor ship. are you gonna race it at KOH next time
Thanks a lot. I would love to race LCQ but I just don't see the benefit. This year I don't think I am going to be taking the buggy to KOH because of money. But next year we will be in the RCQ. Driving across country is just too much. Rausch Creek gives us a very close place to make our run for King of the Hammers.

www.facebook.com/Route63motorsports - #736
XJ buggy on tons...
xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #92
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Some more pictures from the race.

BLM Photography - RCrocs race one

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #93
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Today we have announced the informal birth of "Route 63 Motorsports"

I am the first sponsored driver of record for the team in the XJ buggy. Look for a formal press release, website and logo in the coming weeks of the team and its sponsors.

Can't wait to show you guys what we have in store for the future.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #94
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so its time to get ready for the Line Mt. Coal Bucket. The XJ buggy is still sitting on the trailer broken and covered in mud. So I am using the open space in the shop to start ripping into my 4.0 and 258 and bring them together for a stroker.

Last night I stripped the 4.0 down to the long block. As I was ripping into it, I noticed all the gaskets looked new and were high quality. Once I got it stripped down to the head I noticed there was no oil or carbon buildup. Thing are looking good. Pull the head and the cylinder walls are 100% clean, no scoring and the pistons looked perfect.

Tonight I am going to strip the block and take a look a bit deeper. Since I am using the 258 crank and rods, it doesn't really matter how they look but I still want to see if this motor was abused or not.

I am going to tag every component tonight and take the 4.0 off the stand and throw the 258 on and start ripping into it. I am praying the 258 looks as good as the 4.0.

Also, I have been going back the forth with my buddy Corey that builds turbo 4.0's and it looks like we are going to go after the Supercharger option. With some more fuel, the right cam, programmable MAP sensor, intercooler and a tune from Corey. We are going to go after about 300-350HP and 400lb-ft of torque at 6-7PSI. Should be a nice combo for east coast coast racing. The LQ motor will be put in a new chassis. We are going to try to get the SC in, in August when we have a 4 week break between races.

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #95
01LimitedXJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

NICE! What is the SC from?
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #96
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LimitedXJ View Post
NICE! What is the SC from?
Ford Thunderbird. An Ebay special
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #97
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Rebuilt the front end so we don't have to worry about breaking knuckles in the future.

Before:

After:

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #98
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have been taking my time with doing everything and have run into some hiccups here and there. So I am a little behind schedule, but should be fine for the race. Unless the transmission comes back to bite me in the ***.

Tonight is the re-valve session...

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #99
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

After some great communication with Joel from Bilstein, all the shocks are re-valved and charged with 250psi of nitrogen. We bumped the compression valving all the way around. Up front we stepped up one step because we were only bottoming on big hits. So I thought one step up would work well for our east coast racing. In the rear Joel had us step up one step also but I thought it wasn't going to be enough based on how the suspension was acting.

We were bottoming hard in the rear often, not just big hits either. I thought of that and that we were doubling HP in the near future and are upping compression in the front. For those of you that don't know, when you up compression valving in the front it makes the rear feel softer because of more weight transfer.

So I called Joel back and he suggested a double stack on the high speed shims. Double stacking gives the shock more control then just thicker shims. I was told it is a much smoother feel. So we raised the slow speed valving up one step and the high speed valving up two steps.

After charging the shocks I just jumped on both ends a couple times and it felt much stiffer. Hopefully this puts us were we need to be with our compression valving. I have a feeling we might need to lower the rebound valving but we will not know until we get some video from outside the vehicle in some big chop.

Tonight I will be putting the brakes back on and filling up some fluids and we will be ready to race. When that is all said and done it will be back to power washing for another couple hours.

Got some Hiems in for spares. Since we broke a 3/4" hiem in our last race, We will have some spares in the pits just encase.

Latest picture of the front end. Still need to put on the brakes. That will happen tonight.

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #100
blankdeluxe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure if that counts as an XJ anymore but wow. Crazy awesome fab skills and sweet buggy. Nice work.
blankdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #101
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome build. I just read the whole thing. I love your race recaps.
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #102
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdeluxe View Post
I'm not sure if that counts as an XJ anymore but wow. Crazy awesome fab skills and sweet buggy. Nice work.
Thanks. Don't worry, some XJ is coming back. I am going to be building a custom narrowed XJ grill and putting some XJ fenders back on it. I have an old CJ7 tailgate that will also be going in the back. It is going to look completely different soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGATRTJ View Post
Awesome build. I just read the whole thing. I love your race recaps.
Thanks man. This weekends race should be great. There will be another recap soon after.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #103
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

And we are back in business.

I did some testing around the shop and the new shock valving is much better then before. I can't wait to see how it is in the rough stuff when racing.

Finally out of the shop.

Tonight it gets power washed and gets loaded for the race.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #104
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Another hour of power washing and it is kinda clean.

New logo on the hood

Skins back on

I fabbed up some tree sliders last night just to help with the tight woods racing. I would rather not rip the rear axle out when tagging a tree.

Tonight I need to do a tune-up on the motor and do a little work on the town rig and we should be ready.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #105
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty much ready to load the buggy on the trailer tonight. Just have to put the skids back on and check some more fluids and hardware.

I am super excited for this race. Can't wait to get up there.

Pictures of everything all loaded and ready to race tonight.
XJ buggy on tons...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.