1990 XJ - That was then, this is now.... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1990 XJ - That was then, this is now....

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #76
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha gotta love the last minute rush to get a rig done..looks good man

Unread 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #77
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
haha gotta love the last minute rush to get a rig done..looks good man
Thanks.

From now on I am going to get my team together after the races or wheeling weekends and do race prep. That way all problems and frustrations are on our minds and we can have everything fixed and tested weeks ahead of time. Otherwise I will never be ready and have consistent finishes.

After this race I am going to do some more suspension tuning and look towards the horsepower department. Plus what ever breaks. haha
www.facebook.com/Route63motorsports - #736
XJ buggy on tons...
xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #78
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Front end is back together and now I am working on the rear. One of my dual rate sliders decided it wanted to destroy itself.

Pumper all mounted up

Front end done.

Front bumps welded, painted and installed.

Starting to rip into the read.

Destroyed dual rate slider.

Sponsors represent

Numbers are done from the vinyl place

Lots of wiring tonight and hopefully finishing up a lot of other little projects.

More pictures to come.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #79
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Done
-Pumper is wired
-Amber safety light is wired
-Horn is wired
-Brake switch is in and light is wired.
-Shifters are hooked up
-Hi-lift mount is done and jack is mounted
-Sponsor stickers are on.

Tonight
-Mount spare tire
-Button up the rest of the wiring
-Fill fluids
-Install triple rates and new dual rate sliders on the rear coilovers and install
-Install skids
-Rework the floor a bit to pass tech

I am sure the list is longer but I am not at the shop to look at my list.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #80
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the long read but here is our story.

Team 736’s race recap

Race prep started weeks ago. The buggy was in bad shape after spending a week out at KOH. We tore down and started repairing and reworking everything we thought might be a problem in the future. I was in the shop until midnight or later every day for 3 weeks after work. And got all the help I could get on the weekends from my co-driver and friends. Long hours and great friends got Mike and I to the starting line.

Wednesday before the race, I got a call from Timmay (LII) saying that he wanted to help me finish race prep. I couldn’t turn down a master fabricator coming to my shop to help me finish the buggy. Thursday after work, Mike (co-driver) finished wiring the buggy and as he left Tim showed up. We went over the To-Do list on the wall. Tim crossed out everything that wasn’t important and we got to work. We both worked quickly and deemed the buggy ready at 2 am and got some much needed sleep.

Friday morning we got up loaded the buggy on the goose and went to pick up the LII buggy in the middle of nowhere, where the Buffalo was getting worked on. Needless to say, our trip to Rausch was a story in itself. It consisted of detour after detour and crazy rednecks asking us 100 questions about the buggies when we were loading the LII buggy. But finally we got to Rausch, unloaded and got in the buggies and started to pre-run.

Tim and I headed out for our first lab of pre-running. Taking it easy and looking over the rock sections. Tim ended up pulling Will (heavy metal concepts) out of the mud and I blew a tire. I took care of the tire problem and we got ready to head out for another lap. Now with 25psi in the front and 20 in the rear. The second lap went great. Mike and I found our groove and knew the pace we needed to run during the race.

Saturday came and we lined up next to one of the Line Mt. boys with a race fuel powered V8. Smiley and Miller where both behind us, so we knew our little 4.0L was out gunned. I joked to Mike over the radio that I was going to take this 500+hp Line Mt. rig off the line. He laughed and said, “ya, good luck with that.” We pulled up to the line. I revved up to 3K and took off. The Line Mt. rig stalled and we took him off the line. :barf: :laughing:

The first two laps were uneventful. We managed to pass a bunch of rigs both at speed and broken down. Miller passed us doing a wheelie up a hill climb and we just shook our heads. Both laps were 33 minutes. A great pace. We pitted quick to top off on fuel and look over a couple things and got back on track. We were paced very well so push a bit harder and launched the buggy a couple times and all of a sudden the buggy was bottoming hard in the rear. One dual rate was stuck all the way up. We now had 4” of travel in the rear and not 10”. Our bodies were in for a beating the rest of the race. Right as we got to the bottom of the big messy hill climb the motor went into limp mode. We had no power to get up the hill. We were forced to winch. We ended up pulling over later and cleaned the air filter in a muddy puddle. The HMC crew has video of it. :laughing: We got on our way again but the motor was still dying. We stopped again, pulled the distributor cap to see if it had water in it. But it was dry. We cut power to the computer and started the buggy up. We were back to full power. YESSS. At this point we started pushing harder because we wanted to make up time. Now to the 4th lap. Uneventful until we got to the muddy hill climb again. I slid sideways and wedged myself on a stump. What seemed to be hours later, we were free. Again we pressed on. With the motor going in and out of limp mode we headed through our 5th and final lap. We were the only ones on the course at this point. We got within one mile of the finish line and we completely lost the electrical system. :mad3: Ended up finding a battery connection that feel off and we made it to the finish line. Matt waved the checkered flag and gave us the thumbs up. Mike and I were screaming. 5 hours and 6 minutes later we came across the line 10th. We had completed our first RCrocs race. Frozen and in extreme back pain we jumped into the truck and raced to the hotel so we didn't get hypothermia.:laughing:

Talk about an amazing feeling. I can’t thank everyone enough that helped make this race happen. Tim, Mike, Shawn, Chris and all of our supporters.

Thank you.

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #81
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well race prep has started again. Joel from Bilstein's race department has sent me new valving shims and dual rate stops for my shocks. I am ordering a bunch more parts just to keep the Jeep in shape and to be competitive.

At the end of the 2nd lap we were in 5th con corrected time. The 4 guys in front of me had 400+hp and have been racing for years. So I feel pretty good about the pace I can keep with the XJ.

Also, I got another little surprise.

Chevy 6.0L LQ4 that will be thrown into the buggy at the end of the year. So I will go from my tired 170hp renix to a stroker HO motor (260hp) to a 400+ 6.0L V8 by the end of the season. Hopefully we can pull off some top fives or even a win.

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #82
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Back to working on the buggy again. We will be racing in Pennsylvania at the Line Mt. 3.5 Miler on June 11th.

Game plan
- New front drive shaft (shredded mine wheeling a couple weekends ago)
- Removable rear bumper (new rule in the Line Mt. series)
- Rear Bilstein 3" travel air bumps
- Bump pads on axle
- Tune-up on the motor
- Remove winch (woods race, no climbs or rocks)
- Run new brake lines on axles (keep them out of harms way)

Jeep at full bump to setup the air bumps. Belly height is just about at 12"

Timmay came over to help fab up the rear bumper

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #83
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Progress from last night.

Bump pads and bump cans are mounted and welded. At ride height I will have 7" of up until I hit the 3" air bumps in the rear. In the front I have 4" of up then 3" of bump.

I have also had my sway-bar set for crawling thus far. It flexes perfectly even front to back on the farthest hole. Since our next race is a tight woods course I moved the bar all the way back to the most resistant hole.

Do to so many racers having problems with their hydro rams moving, I thought it was a good idea to add another set of clamps to the ram. I have not had problems yet but it can't hurt to put on twice the clamping power on the ram.

Finishing welds on the bumper and new front drive-shaft will be taken care of tonight. Then the buggy will be back on its feet and out to do some testing.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #84
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what did you use for bump pads on the axle and what front driveshaft are you going with?
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #85
woooter61

That looks awesome!!!
woooter61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #86
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
what did you use for bump pads on the axle and what front driveshaft are you going with?
I used the pad where the old coil springs mounted. Just needed to put a little extension on them. I will get some pictures of it for you. As for the driveshaft, I am making my own. I used 1.75 OD 3/8" wall DOM and some spare yokes we had laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woooter61 View Post
That looks awesome!!!
Thanks.

Progress from last night.

New rear view.

Built an X over the Air Bumps for some extra strength.

Just have to add a plate gusset so the bump can doesn't bend up.

And the reason I built a new driveshaft. Good old 4 spline failure. :laughing:

Driveshaft, mirrors, and bumps are done. Just a couple more things and we are ready to race.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #87
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

So we got back from the Line Mt. 3.5 Miler Sunday afternoon. Talk about a fun race.

We had a really late starting position 123 of 136. So I knew we were going to have to work through a lot of traffic. By the time we were on the line we had people already coming in and finishing their last lap. Two hours after the first person started we were off. Right away we blended into the traffic. Right behind a Line Mt. racer and Alan Woodson and in front of another local racer. We kept on Alan's bumper until we came to a big traffic on the high climb. We were directed to the bypass and slid in the mud against a tree. Woodson pulled away and the local racer plowed into us. We backed up and got back on track. A minute later we caught up and passed the guy that hit us. One down... I started to get comfortable with the tight corners and trees and started to push harder. A minute later another traffic jam. Mike guides me through the trees and we claim another 2 victims. Through the next 15 minutes we picked off another 13 cars. We were really on the move. I hear Mike come over the radio and say, "Do you think we can hold this pace for the rest of the race." I think we can so we push on. No more then a minute later we come around a corner and the dirt berm pushed us to the other side of the track. BOOM we hit a tree at about 20mph and keep going. The next corner I went straight off the track. We had no steering. All the high steer arm studs and a 3/4" chromo hiem had let go. Our race was over.

To hit that tree when we were doing so well gave me a sinking feeling. But with the bad came the good. Our team is now sponsored by Reid Racing. They will be supplying us with their bullet proof D60 knuckles and ARP studs. Thanks for helping us out Geoff. Having Reids under our buggy will be one less thing to worry about.

I only have a few pictures from the race. So here goes.

Following Woodson down the muddy climb

Getting hit by the local racer.

The aftermath and my Co-driver Mike throwing up some gang signs. :laughing:
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #88
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

A couple pictures from the first RCrocs race I found from BLM photography.

Many more pictures to come. Hopefully a lot more surface from the races.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #89
jhf56
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dude this thing is badass great work
jhf56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #90
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thats awesome on the sponsor ship. are you gonna race it at KOH next time

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.