1990 XJ - That was then, this is now.... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1990 XJ - That was then, this is now....

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #31
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

More pics from over the weekend.

Oh and the reason we did really get to wheel on Saturday. Recovery for 7+ hours.

www.facebook.com/Route63motorsports - #736
XJ buggy on tons...
xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #32
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome build thread.

It sucks for that jeep.
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #33
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsports3 View Post
Awesome build thread.

It sucks for that jeep.
Thanks.

The owner of that jeep doesn't take care of it even a little bit. Every time we hit the trails it break badly and gets towed back and pushed onto a trailer. Hopefully this will be its last trip.

If anyone didn't know. Dana 44 ball joints are weak. If you get a used axle, replace them with quality joints before you throw it under your Jeep.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #34
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Rebuilt my broken Bilstein and rebuilt one upper 4 link mount on the passenger side. The new design should be much much stronger then the previous setup. Tonight I will rebuild the drivers side mount, put on the new PS pulley, and mount the new PS reservoir.

I also have two sheets of UHMW that I need to bolt up to for the boat sides but that will probably happen tomorrow or Friday.

I have tons of parts in the garage waiting to be put on. So in the next couple months this thing is going to get better and better.

Depending on time and money it might get a V8 around Christmas time.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 09-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #35
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

your "jeep" is looking great! I'm lookin forward to seeing what else is in store. Are you planning on remounting the fenders or grill or anything to restore it's xjesque looks?
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #36
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark02 View Post
your "jeep" is looking great! I'm lookin forward to seeing what else is in store. Are you planning on remounting the fenders or grill or anything to restore it's xjesque looks?
Hood and grill are going back on. I have a CJ7 tailgate I am putting on the back. Otherwise it will get aluminum skins that are not quite XJesgue. haha

But I am going to put the old "cherokee" emblem back on both sides.

A quick list of the stuff I have sitting in the garage that are waiting to go on.

- 22 gallon RCI fuel cell with quick fill
- Griffin aluminum radiator
- dual electric fans
- 8 pass Derale cooler and fan for the power steering
- 16 pass Derale cooler with fan and thermostat for the trans
- PSC reservoir
- PSC 4.5 PS pulley
- Reid knuckles (will be on there way shortly)
- Hood and grill
- Aluminum floors and skins
- Bilstein 2.0" air bumps
- Triple rates for my rear coilovers
- Rear 5000lbs winch

Stuff to fab

- Mounts for the fuel cell
- Mounts for the radiator
- new truss for the 14 bolt
- build truss for D60
- Skins
- floors
- rewire entire vehicle (engine harness, main harness, and gauges)

Long term

- Quadruple bypass Bilsteins in the rear
- Chevy LQ4 or LQ9
- 4L60 trans
- 40" Maxxis Comp Trepadors and Raceline beadlocks

As you can see, the long term stuff is the expensive stuff.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Got the Jeep ready to run for the Rausch Creek Demo. Beat the snot out of it in both demos and had a blast.

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #38
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

We had our first race over the weekend in the XJ buggy.

Our quick race story.

The last two weeks have consisted of me in my shop until midnight every night of the week trying to get the buggy together for this race. When it came down to it, I took off work on Friday to get it finished. Left work on Thursday and worked on the buggy from 7pm to Saturday morning at 4am. Needless to say, I was running on empty.

Got the buggy to Rausch unloaded and started to get ready for our first race. We were 37th off the line right behind one of the fastest Line Mt. racers. (Yellow Cherokee buggy) We knew we weren't going to see him again unless he was lapping us. We got the 5 second warning, and took off.

The motor was missing unless I kept my foot to the floor. Which made it an easy decision of how fast we were going to be driving. Foot the the floor it was. About 5 minutes in we passed our first racer, then another and another. We knocked down about 5-6 cars before the mid lap check point. Right as we get to the check point, a ton of smoke comes out from under the hood. We pull over and find a the bottom radiator hose has pulled off.

Rachel and I used every bottle of water we had in the buggy and it wasn't enough. So we ran back to the pits and grabbed coolant and more water. After bleeding the system down and filling the buggy with creek water we were back on the move again.

Lou pulled over to fix his johnny joint right where we were stopped and Vetteboy was passing by right as we were strapping in. As soon as I saw Vette, it was on. I was on his bumper for the whole second half of that lap. Horn stopped working. So I went to nerf him and hit a nice big hole which kinda rattled us. The next corner or two, I felt the brakes getting soft. Pulled over to look at them and one of the steel braided lines had gotten smashed. No biggy, lets get back to the pits crimp off the hard line and keep going. Went to take off and the buggy would hardly move. Inspect it again and find a trans line had broken off the trans. We were done.

Regardless of our one lap we ran, we had a blast and I am 100% hooked. We will be back again. Lots of suspension tuning will be done over the winter and out in JV. And we are going to go over the entire vehicle and redo wiring, cooler lines and anything else that is in question.

Thanks to everyone that helped us last minute to get us to the track. It was an amazing experience.

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #39
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Holy awesome! What a rig.

If anyone is in the York area and wants to go wheeling let me know I'm always down!
Fischey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #40
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep's lookin great skinned! that race looks/ sounds like a ton of fun.
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #41
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys.

Some more pictures from Will at Heavy Metal Concepts

XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #42
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Prep starts again tonight for a suspension tuning session on Sunday at Rausch Creek.

For some reason the motor is running like garbage and the cooling system is not bleeding down correctly.

Hopefully we will get lots of pictures this weekend and have some good feedback and learn a lot when it comes to the suspension.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #43
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is an awesome result! Great work! Keep it up and look forward to more pics.
Penn State University --- Class of '96
mazegang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #44
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazegang View Post
This is an awesome result! Great work! Keep it up and look forward to more pics.
Thanks.

Last night I raised the ride height because it was sitting very low because of all the extra weight from tools, spare and all the extra fluids. So now I have 10-11" of uptravel in the rear and about 8" in the front.

Fuel leak and blow trans line have been fixed. Cooling system has been bled. Now I just need to replace the busted brake line and I should be good to go for the weekend.

I will have the buggy at Jeeps in the Vineyard on Saturday and at Rausch Creek on Sunday if anyone wants to see it in person.
XJ buggy on tons...
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #45
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

We headed to NJ on Saturday for Jeeps in the Vineyard. It was a nice little jeep show with 10 different classes and wine tasting on the side. :laughing: Not what you would expect for the Jeep crowd.

Kevin from Pirate TV found us at the show and ended up tagging along for the inter weekend.
Coverage thread: Pirate4x4 in the house at LII NJ! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

But I will link pictures for the lazy. :flipoff2:

A familiar XJ you guys all know of.

Then we headed over to the LII shop to prep for a tuning session at Rausch
XJ buggy on tons...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.