1989 YJ "Daisy II" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1989 YJ "Daisy II"

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No I haven't, I'll have to do that when I get back or I'll have someone else do it because now I'm curious. The PO never mentioned if it was the islander so I just assumed it was the base model.

HajdukCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #17
Vistaglass

[SIZE="5"]Thank you for your service to our country[/SIZE].
I have always kept some sort of internal comsbustion smile inducer in the garage. Boats, bikes, buggys, Jeeps, and go fast cars. My daughters enjoyed them all and can drive most anything. I was thrilled when my youngest picked up a very clean 73 CJ5. She assumed (correctly) that I would help her make it right. We have shared garage time to accomplish that.Thats the best part. Her CJ is bone stock and bad to the bone, It is a no brag ,just fact special purpose vehicle. She always smiles when she is driving it. It's nice to see the acorn did not fall far from the tree. As she starts a family of her own it's rewarding to see this mechanical pre-occupation legacy continues.
Your Jeep is coming along nicely.Keep that little darling safe with a good roll bar/cage and enjoy the ride.
Vistaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't ran it through a Jeep dealer yet but I just emailed them to see what they can do. I did however just run the VIN through an online decoder and this is the info that they gave me...

2: Built in Canada (Chrysler Canada, Ltd.)
J: Jeep
4: Multipurpose Passenger
F: 4001 - 5000# GVWR & Hydraulic Brakes
Y: Wrangler Islander 4X4
3: 350 Job Rated Series
9: Open Body/Convertible
T: 4.2L 6 Cyl. Gasoline (2 BBL) 112 HP CMC
1: Check Digit
K: 89
J: Brampton Assembly

So looks like you guys are right, it is an Islander edition. I'll post more if the dealer gets back to me with some better info.
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

@VistaGlass...Hopefully when my daughter is old enough she can keep the Jeep tradition going in our family. My father actually used to work for AMC and built his CJ-7 from the ground up. I took after him and have always had a passion for Jeeps. Less than 1 week after I bought my YJ my older brother came down with the bug and went out and bought an 89 YJ also, haha. Needless to say there is no denying that jeep blood runs through my daughter's veins. Let's just hope she doesn't take after her mother, haha
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the islander find! I wish something like that would happen to me but mine was just the base model "S" lol.

If it was built in Canada you may have also lucked out with a dana44 rear instead of the d35. Some early YJs built in Canada had this option
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, you deserve the Islander Edition if you're serving our country, if you ask me!

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well just found this beauty on craiglist for $300! Couldn't believe my luck when I found it, luckily it is in the same town where my sister's boyfriend lives so they are going to pick it up for me and hold on to it until I get home and get around to getting it installed. There's another part off the list!...Also after some research I am pretty sure I did really luck out on my rear axle. I'm not positive that it's a 44 yet but if my memory serves me right it does have the dana 44 differential. I'll know in a couple of day after my dad takes a look for me. I also read somewhere that some of these models came with built in lockers. It sounds way to go to be true so does anyone have anymore info on that?
header.jpg

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #23
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukCW View Post
Well just found this beauty on craiglist for $300! Couldn't believe my luck when I found it, luckily it is in the same town where my sister's boyfriend lives so they are going to pick it up for me and hold on to it until I get home and get around to getting it installed. There's another part off the list!...Also after some research I am pretty sure I did really luck out on my rear axle. I'm not positive that it's a 44 yet but if my memory serves me right it does have the dana 44 differential. I'll know in a couple of day after my dad takes a look for me. I also read somewhere that some of these models came with built in lockers. It sounds way to go to be true so does anyone have anymore info on that?
Pretty sure the they could have come with trac-lok limited slip, not a full locker. The others came with just an open diff. I think the trac-lok was an option and not standard equipment but that would be icing on the cake for you.

The d44 is mostly on export models from the US and Canadian built's, but is a rare find. Congrats if it turns out in your favor! I recently picked up an 89 XJ dana44 and trac-lok that I plan on swapping into min. This is the same axle that would be in yours, so it'll look exactly like this except for the spring/shock brackets:

And congrats on the Borla find! One word of advice is to get the header sealed good against the head. Mine never sealed and had to return it, but that was for the 4cyl. I should have tried the manifold sealant they have out there but needed it on the road.
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
SSimpson07

So I need to get my jeep out there when you come home so we can work on both of em bro !!
SSimpson07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had an 89 red islander. I bought it from the original owner a couple decades ago, it had cloth interior and no colored piping on the seats.

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
My Rusty Wrangler Project
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
SSimpson07

I do know that exhaust is going to be very easy to do.. I've done a manifold on a 94 and wranglers are one of the easiest things there are to work on anymore. They're wide open the only thing might be difficult is bolts braking and gaskets, I'm amped to get this thing goin CW
SSimpson07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well parts back home are really beginning to stack up quick. I feel like I can't even get on the internet any more without looking for more things to do to Daisy. I did end up buying the front bumper with winch, rear bumper and tire carrier and several other odds and ends yesterday. One thing that I am looking for is possibly getting the old school islander decals to bring back the classic look but I don't know where to find them. Does anyone know if they are even available to purchase?
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nevermind I found them on Morris 4x4 center but they're asking $320...not sure if I want to spend that and also not even sure if they'll fit with my rockers.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #29
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Found this for anyone that reads this in the future looking for the same thing. I think I'm at least going to do the classic Islander hood set up.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...roduct=4521712
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #30
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think you should take the fender islander logo and replace the "Islander" text with "Daisy"
capture.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.