1989 YJ "Daisy II" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1989 YJ "Daisy II"

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1989 Islander "Daisy II"

Ok guys this will be my first build so I am pretty new to everything so any help would be appreciated...The background story on Daisy II goes a little something like this...January 2006 I turned 16 and bought my first vehicle. It was an 89 Jeep XJ and was my first true love. She was a pain in my @$$ but she was mine and for the ripe price of $300 I couldn't complain. After about a year of fun and fighting it was finally time to retire her. Fast forward 7 years, I was just home on leave hanging out at a buddies shop when I notice a beautiful 89 YJ, completely stock, same year,same color and same engine as my first XJ. I knew I had to have her. A few months later I had her home sitting in my garage ready for the fun to begin. I don't know much about truly working on Jeeps, I know enough to keep them road worthy and that is it. That is the reason I bought a stock Jeep so I can build her completely myself and learn along the way. I currently work in Afghanistan so I can only spend time on her every few months so for those of you that follow this thread I ask in advance, please be patient.

HajdukCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First thing I did when I got her home was take off the doors and top. There is nothing like cruising in a Jeep. The guy in the pic is my buddy Mike (practically my brother) He is basically over every night helping me "work" on Daisy II. By work I mean he sits there and drinks beer.
524448_10153131742960346_1181865389_n.jpg  
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention what I'm actually running with her. 1989 YJ, 4.2l I6; 5sp Manual transmission.

After digging a little I made my to-do list.

*Frame rot by the passenger rear shackle (common for older, northern jeeps)
*Windshield frame needs to be replaced (rust on a good 25% of it)
*Multiple spots to repair on the floor board, biggest area being the driver side where the roll bars mount.
*Passenger headlight
*Fuel, Voltage, Oil pressure gauges not working
*Find and install Air cleaner assembly
*Blown out Muffler

There's so much more to add to the list but these few are just what I noticed right off the start. Not much time until I go back to work so it's time to get started
1174892_10153132682770346_1326260883_n.jpg  
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I decided to start with the easy fixes first while I waited for parts to come in the mail that I ordered off Quadratec. The out headlight was as simple as just a little corrosion on the plug...Check. I picked up a Flowmaster from O'reily's auto parts and had that installed the next day, she was purring like a cat and sounded beautiful. I still need to weld it in but I do not have my own welder just yet so I am putting that on the back burner for now. Also picked up a real nice Marine Kenwood stereo since I don't plan on having the top on that much.

While still waiting on the parts to come in I changed out all the fluids and started prepping for the beginning of her rebuild. Had a little help from my baby girl. She loves being out in the garage and working with me. I try to explain to her step by step on what I'm doing but she just looks at me like I have a few screws loose, haha, she did enjoy our maiden voyage though.
1186242_10153152810500346_337521335_n.jpg   537807_10153138851150346_1142887041_n.jpg  
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Parts finally started to trickle in. First thing to come in were new bushwhacker flat style fender flares. I'm a huge fan of the modified cut out tub fenders but I just don't have the time or skill to do those right now myself so I figured this will be the first step. A simple install job and within 3 hours I had them on and good to go. Afterwards I started to take of the old windshield and frame to have it ready for the new frame when it came in. What I thought would be an easy job turned out to be a 3 day event. basically all my torque bolts were seized up in the hinges. After snapping to torx bits I decided it was time to bring the heat. A little map gas and WD40 got majority of the bolts out but there were still 3 that weren't budging. Next step, take the drill to them and get them out. Finally got the windshield frame removed.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

new fenders
new.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well the windshield frame didn't come in when I expected it too so I took the opportunity to clean up all the rust building up underneath the frame, clean up and re-paint the wiper blades and hinges. Everything turned out rather nicely but it's just a temp job to see how it would look. I'll have to really redo everything later but for now it's time for a little skydiving vacation in Boston.
4.png

2.png

3.png

Unread 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
CaptD

2013 JK Wrangler 

I'll check on your progress Hajduk. Looks like a fun project. Tell Mike not to drink all of your beer, lol.
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a fun build! I have an XJ as a first vehicle (only call it a car in public because A: I don't need to look any more Jeep-obsessed by making SURE it gets called a Jeep, and B: I've had so many people say, "Ohhh, I pictured like a Wrangler." Now once suspension is redone, maybe a louder exhaust, yeah I'll probably call it by its proper name more often. But anyways, so do you plan on doing like a '92 and up roll cage? I know if I had a passenger in the back, especially a baby or small child, I'd want to either do the swap or add on to the stock cage...

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I definitely plan on putting in the family style roll cage. I'm just not sure if I want to do a straight up swap or just fabricate and weld on the extra support to the one I already have. I've seen it done several times while searching these forums and I really like the custom look to it but I'm not the best welder, we'll see. I have to find a good family style roll bar first.
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
ufvj217

Looking good so far !!
ufvj217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys...Sadly I am back in Afghanistan until December so there won't be too much more progress until then. Here is just a short list of things I have decided to start with before I officially make her trail or dune ready. My goal is by next 4th of July take her to the dunes for the first time and let her run wild. Like I said this is my first build so I am just a rookie learning along the way so if there's anything you would recommend to add or remove from the list please let me know.

Jeep to-do list

• 4” lift
• 8.8 rear axle 4.10 gear ratio
• Front axle locker w/ 4.10 gear ratio
• New Carb (possibly MC2150)
• Headers and exhaust overhaul
• Interior floor patched up and bedliner
• Fix rust spots on frame and under coat
• Family style roll cage
• Fix paint (wet sand/Upper portion paint black)
• All hinges cleaned and painted black
• Gauges (wiring problem possibly)
• Paint inside of fender’s (black)
• Rocker panels/side step
• Paint grill and headlight housings black
• New front bumper (w/winch) and rear bumer
• New tires (35’s) with rims
• Audio system over haul
• Quick disconnects

This is by no means in any order. Fist thing on the list is to take care of the rust on the frame and floors. After thats done I'll probably just wing it. Unless I come across a deal on an 8.8 that I can't pass up, I'll save that for last so I can get more experience before I dive that deep in. Below is a a horrible virtual design that I made up using an online virtual jeep builder and Paint. You can get the idea of what I'm shooting for.
jeep-concept31.jpg

Unread 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
HajdukCW
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well just got a new MC2150 carb and JKS quick disconnects. They will be waiting on me when I get home. Hopefully the new carburetor will fix how rich Daisy is running right now. Plus it will free up a lot of room in my engine compartment and I can toss that old air cleaner assembly.
kgrhqqokpke6-9zcnktbonz-hnq3-60_57.jpg  
35540-md.jpg

Unread 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice start on the build Hajduk, I'll be following along

One thing I noticed is your interior seats look like Islander's with the blue piping. Did you run your VIN with the Jeep dealer to get your build sheet? You may have an Islander Edition on your hands
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
ufvj217

I noticed that too. I like the seats.
ufvj217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.