1989 Islander Edition (w/ PICTURES) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1989 Islander Edition (w/ PICTURES)

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
DPH1LLY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1989 Islander Edition (w/ PICTURES)

Hey guys! Well I've been meaning to make a build thread for quite sometime now but never really got around to it... In advance this thread will more than likely be pretty slow and nothing too serious! Between another jeep and school I can't dump loads of cash at once. However, thanks for checking it out in advance! Around last year I found it! A 1989 Jeep Wrangler: Islander Edition! Me being an XJ guy I deep down always did want a wrangler and was just waiting for one to come up for the right price. I found this Jeep around my neighborhood in the garage of an elderly couple. I had built up the balls to ask them if they want to sell it and the rest was history! I was floored to find out it only ha 42,000 ORIGINAL miles on it! On top of that it had the factory hardtop, a soft top, and bikini top included! As well as full doors. I was like a kid in a candy show to say the least. Here's a picture of it last year when I first bought it, still in their driveway.

image-2450016508.jpg

Anyways, after having It home And being overwhelmed with joy I did come to learn it did have some issues which I'll be working out throughout the duration of the thread!

The first and one of the biggest challenges were the floors. This Jeep was used in the winter only and took quite a toll from the snow and salt here in Ohio... I was sitting on license plates on my drivers side floor! Haha. Here's a few before pictures of the floors after I pulled out all the carpet...

Drivers Side:
image-1493810926.jpg

Passengers Side:
image-3060666970.jpg

Luckily I met a guy through work who owns a Jeep Customs shop and he was able to help me out seeing as how I know nothing about body work... Here's the during/after pictures WITH a coat of paint... It turned out absolutely fantastic and I'm so happy with how this thing is coming together!

image-1126976062.jpg

image-531015242.jpg

image-2726517349.jpg

image-633142180.jpg

image-3446092634.jpg

As you can see the photos speak for themselves.... It turned out great! I couldn't be happier.

Where some of you may frown upon me I did end up putting the original carpet back in. I'm trying to keep this thing pretty stock for the most part since it's such an oddity with low low miles. Plus I think it looks pretty damn good the way it is if you ask me haha!

All the carpet out to steam-cleaned, and back in!

image-2281063878.jpg

Anyways this is where I'll end for now but a lot of other things have been added! These are just the pictures I have on hand. I'll be adding a ton more later tonight. Thanks for checking out the thread guys! -Danny

miles
DPH1LLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that is a clean clean interior. Looks great!

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
DPH1LLY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21
Wow that is a clean clean interior. Looks great!
Thanks man! I'm super happy with how it turned out! Lots of scrubbing from the rust buildup staining...
miles
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

good job on the floors

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
DPH1LLY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86
good job on the floors
Thanks man!
miles
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
DPH1LLY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After the floors and interior go squared away I was able to move on to my wheels! Being steelies they obviously did have a good amount of rust on them. I have a neighbor who is actually able to help me powder coat pretty much anything (good neighbor to have, I know!) Anyways he was able to powder coat my OEM steelies and they turned out great! It really made that much of a difference. I was also able to track down a few of the caps it was missing! Here's a quick side by side before/after pic of the wheels!

image-1774536149.jpg

And now a picture of the Islander as it currently sits! It's getting there slowly but surely!

image-2515929177.jpg
miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.