1989 Comanche Rebuild - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1989 Comanche Rebuild

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #91
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to add this. Discovered the other day that it has cruise control. It doesn't work, but it has it. I always assumed it didn't have it because, well, why would it? That is pretty awesome though that it does have cruise control since this is my daily driver. I haven't even begun to diagnose it yet, but I would like to get it working relatively soon. If anyone knows any common fixes for the early XJ/MJ cruise controls I would love to hear them.

Also, I GOT THE AIR CONDITIONING WORKING!!! Doesn't matter much at this time of year, but that is going to be NICE next Summer. It was just a blown fuse (more like a melted fuse). On high it blows cold enough to freeze your brains out.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #92
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
If it isn't a 44 (I need to double check but I'm pretty sure it is) I'm going to find an 8.25 with 3.55s.
If you need an 8.25, I already have one set up for a Comanche with 3.55 gears just in case you need one.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #93
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
If you need an 8.25, I already have one set up for a Comanche with 3.55 gears just in case you need one.
Did you ever get shafts for it? That would be awesome, then I wouldn't have to weld perches on the XJ axle. I'm not going to be wheeling this Jeep so the strength increase of a 44 over an 8.25 is a non issue.
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #94
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Yep, I have shafts for it now. I would reuse the e-brake cables from the 35 because they are longer than the XJ 8.25 cables. The only thing I don't have are the drums. The ones that came with it were no good.
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #95
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, I have shafts for it now. I would reuse the e-brake cables from the 35 because they are longer than the XJ 8.25 cables. The only thing I don't have are the drums. The ones that came with it were no good.
The drums are the same as what I have now arent they? I can just pull them off of the axle I have now and swap them over. Is it open or lsd?

I need to try out my 4wd. I discovered one of the lines going to the vac disco was unplugged, so hopefully that is the only problem. Not that I'll ever really need 4wd anyways, but since I have it I want it to work.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #96
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I can't say if the drums will swap over or not; I'd have to check the part numbers. Its open. There is a write up about how to shim the vac disconnect so its always engaged. That way you don't ever have to worry about it.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #97
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't say if the drums will swap over or not; I'd have to check the part numbers. Its open. There is a write up about how to shim the vac disconnect so its always engaged. That way you don't ever have to worry about it.
If the drums won't swap over I have a 27 spline 8.25 (3.07 gears so it is useless to me) that I can steal the brakes from.

As long as the 4wd works I don't mind having the vac disconnect. If it is there I might as well benefit from it. Like I said, hopefully it is just because the plug was undone. If the vac disco is a problem, I'll just find a non disco housing when I switch to 3.55s.
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #98
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Going to Gulches ORV in Laurens County, SC next weekend. Don't want to waste money on fuel to haul my LJ 3 and half hours down there, so I'm taking the Comanche. I'm just going to ride b seat, but they do have some easy trails, so I want to get the 4wd working. Just getting the truck to the campsite requires 4wd at that place. Going to try shimming the vac disco and see if that solves the problem. Also going to try getting the cruise control to work. It would be nice to have on such a long drive.
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #99
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love MJ's and this is a nice one

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #100
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid
Going to Gulches ORV in Laurens County, SC next weekend. Don't want to waste money on fuel to haul my LJ 3 and half hours down there, so I'm taking the Comanche. I'm just going to ride b seat, but they do have some easy trails, so I want to get the 4wd working. Just getting the truck to the campsite requires 4wd at that place. Going to try shimming the vac disco and see if that solves the problem. Also going to try getting the cruise control to work. It would be nice to have on such a long drive.
You could just rig up or buy a posi lock and make it manual. That's probably what I would if i had one.

Black Jeep Society, Eagle Scout Jeepers
yamaha225 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #101
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I love MJ's and this is a nice one

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha225 View Post
You could just rig up or buy a posi lock and make it manual. That's probably what I would dogfighting had one.
I would, but I don't plan on having this axle in here for too much longer. I want to swap in an axle with 3.55s, the stock 3.07s suck. When I swap the rear axle, I'm going to put in a later model HP30 without a vac disco.
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #102
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks!

I would, but I don't plan on having this axle in here for too much longer. I want to swap in an axle with 3.55s, the stock 3.07s suck. When I swap the rear axle, I'm going to put in a later model HP30 without a vac disco.
Ah I see, we'll good luck getting it working

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #103
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha225 View Post

Ah I see, we'll good luck getting it working
Actually I just finished shimming the shift fork. Was actually really easy. Haven't driven it yet, but both front tires spin together now!
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #104
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Actually I just finished shimming the shift fork. Was actually really easy. Haven't driven it yet, but both front tires spin together now!
Nice!

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #105
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I've still got that rear 8.25 whenever you're ready for it. Be sure to get some shots of the MJ in action.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.