1989 Comanche Rebuild - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1989 Comanche Rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #76
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz
I never noticed you had a build thread for this rig. I've recently developed a liking for the MJ's and I would love to build one myself (a shortbed though).
Guess you never read my sig huh? I've always preferred the longbeds. Plus, buying a shortbed eliminates any hope of getting a D44 rear.

Well, I haven't updated this thread in a long time. Well, I haven't done anything to the MJ... Got a lot going on with work right now, and I'm working on getting the LJ ready for a trip to Coal Creek at the end of the month, so still no time for the MJ. It sure gets a lot better gas mileage than the LJ though.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #77
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Guess you never read my sig huh? I've always preferred the longbeds. Plus, buying a shortbed eliminates any hope of getting a D44 rear.
I pay no attention to people's sigs, I have a short attention span.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #78
dwbrown

Got any updates?
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #79
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown
Got any updates?
Nope. I have literally done nothing to it. My dad has been daily driving it for the last few months. I got a helluva deal on this thing though. I have done almost zero maintenance to this thing since buying it and it is still running strong. It drives better than my '02 TJ as a matter of fact.

Main thing I need to do to it right now is get the 4wd working. I havent diagnosed it yet, but is probably just a broken vaccuum disco line or something.
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #80
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Its pretty depressing that I have literally done nothing to this thing since I got it. For a few months my dad was daily driving it, but then after we put a coupe thousand miles on it the clutch went out, so it has just been sitting for about a month now. Been too busy getting the TJ and LJ ready for coal creek to work on it. Hopefully I will get time in the next couple weeks to get the clutch replaced, and I would really love to get the body work and paint work done over the summer. We'll see how that goes.
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #81
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally started the body work today!

Hopefully will get the body and paint work done by next week. Pics coming later.
Unread 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #82
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Late update, but here are some progress pics.

Passenger side was beat up pretty bad:

forumrunner_20120825_184513.jpg

Body work on that side almost ready for primer:

forumrunner_20120825_184526.jpg

Passenger side door was damaged too badly to be worth fixing, so decided to use the door from the donor comanche. It had a small amount of rust along the bottom and a couple of small dents, but that was an ready fix:

forumrunner_20120825_184539.jpg

Pulled the bedliner out. Paying was in decent condition, no dents anywhere, and absolutely no rust!

forumrunner_20120825_184554.jpg
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #83
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any new progress. Have read this and your LJ build and if the LJ is any indicator I can't wait to see this done.

Black Jeep Society, Eagle Scout Jeepers
yamaha225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #84
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the latest?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #85
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

As always, I've been majorly lax with updating this thread.

Finished the body work and painted it a few weeks ago. You can also see in this picture that I had a new windsheild put in. No more crack down the center!

(View full image for better quality)

Unread 10-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #86
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Several months back my dad bought an '88 XJ as a parts donor. First thing I did was take the door panels. The door panels from the MJ had been mutilated by the PO. They decided it would be a good idea to cut big holes in the door panels to install an extra pair of speakers. What is even better is that they used duct tape in place of electrical tape. The XJ door panels are much nicer, they have map pockets, and I like that style of door handle better. The speakers were pretty old to so I picked up some cheapos at Walmart for $30.

To go along with the hack job door speakers, they had completely jacked up the stock radio wiring harness to install an aftermarket head unit (which is no longer functional). The donor XJ had an old Sony headunit spliced into the stock harness. To make things easier on myself I just cut the stock harness out of the XJ and transfered it to the MJ. Worked like a charm, no more jacked up wiring harness. For some reason the wiring was screwed up on the cig outlet, so I spliced in the outlet from the XJ. Another problem solved. While I had the dashes apart I took the right side switch panel out of the XJ and transfered it over in case I ever install more auxilary lighting. The XJ also had a nicer dash panel, so that got used as well.

The main reason my dad bought the XJ donor was because it was completely decked out in chrome. Grill, mirrors, door handles, etc. All of that got used. I think it turned out pretty great.

It was time for a wheel change. The GY Armortracs are a great street tire, but they are small and the canyons no longer fit with the chrome look. I had a set of 15x8 American Racing Outlaw IIs sitting around, as well as a set of 30x9.50 Cooper Discoverer STTs that I used to run on my first TJ 4 years ago. I dont really need mud tires, but they are getting pretty old so I need to wear them out before they dry rot. 2 of them are full tread and 2 are 75% tread. I really like this wheel and tire combo.

Since this MJ has the factory towing package it sits really high in the rear. I measured it and it was exactly 2" high in the rear. Lucky for me I have plenty of 2" spacers lying around. Evened it up perfectly. I really like the look of the 2" lift with the 30" tires. Anyways, I know it is the finished pictures that you really care about, so here you go (view full size for better quality):

It isn't completely finished, stll need to do some minor things like adding all of the emblems. I would also like to find a dimond plate tool box for the bed. If I can't I am going to install the roll bar form the black MJ, but a tool box will fit my needs a lot better.
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #87
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Jake, the paint turned out great. Good call on the wheels too. Looks like you need a chrome grill to match the headlight buckets. I have one that I'm not using if you want to swing by sometime and try it out. Are those chrome door handles? I don't think I've seen chrome ones before.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #88
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
Jake, the paint turned out great. Good call on the wheels too. Looks like you need a chrome grill to match the headlight buckets. I have one that I'm not using if you want to swing by sometime and try it out. Are those chrome door handles? I don't think I've seen chrome ones before.
Thanks man.

I might take you up on the grill, though I do like the gray/black grill. I don't want to overdo it with the chrome.

Yes, they are chrome door handles. Donor XJ had them on all 4 doors.
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #89
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man that thing turned out great. Your dad sure can paint. Very nice MJ

Black Jeep Society, Eagle Scout Jeepers
yamaha225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #90
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

The exhaust on this thing was apparantly done by the same person that wired the radio. It only had 2 mounts and was flopping all over the place. The muffler was so old that it had rusted in half, and there were several holes in the pipe from rust. Since there was a big hole in the muffler, it had a drone so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. It was annoying. Went by Galloways 4wd and had a friend bend up a custom exhaust for me. Decided to go with a dual exhaust. It looks pretty cool when you look up under there. It is a lot quieter now. It has a nice rumble to it at idle but is quiet when going down the road. That is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Still need to get get a spare mounted up. I have a matching Cooper with low tread to throw under the bed.

While the exhaust was being made I discovered that it already has trailer wiring, which excited me as I thought I was going to have to wire it up myself. It was zip tied up with the main wiring harness under there. Doesn't look like it has ever been used.

I really don't like the 3.07 gears. First gear is anemic and it barely turns 2000 rpm at 60 mph. The donor XJ has a 44 rear (I think) and 3.55s, so I'm probably going to swap those axles in for a little extra power. If it isn't a 44 (I need to double check but I'm pretty sure it is) I'm going to find an 8.25 with 3.55s. Since I'm only on 30s I don't need to be geared any lower than 3.55. I am enjoying driving this thing again though. I can't believe how well this truck drives for being 23 years old.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.