1988 YJ Wrangler 4bt swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1988 YJ Wrangler 4bt swap

Tactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 03-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
vespo94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1988 YJ Wrangler 4bt swap

I have a stock 1988 yj wrangler 2.5L 4cyl 5 speed trans with a 4" lift. Looking to swap it with a 4bt cummins and nv4500 transmission. Just looking for tips on this build, and what mounts and other necessary parts to get and where to get em. I have the skills and tools necesssary, just would appreciate some help. I will post pics and write ups as i progress.

-Vince

vespo94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Do a search here on 4bt's there are a few already. Also make sure you poke around http://www.4btswaps.com lot of good info there. If you are not inclined to build your own mounts there is a member on here that sells Farm Strong motor mounts. Not a fan of the fluid mounts from the bread trucks or the ones from Jeff Daniels either for anything that will be used off-road.

With 33" tires you will not want much greater than 3.55 gears especially for the street.

Just remember this is a very large heavy motor. Make sure your axles are up to the challenge!

Good luck on your build, I'll be watching.
Unread 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
vespo94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was planning on running 3.73 gears it's gonna be more for offroading. What axles would you recommend?
Unread 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
vespo94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also for anyone who may have done this sort of swap, what would be a good donor truck to get for axles and random little parts and such?
Unread 03-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Axle choice comes down to tire size, and intended use. I'm running a Dana 44 front and a Ford 9" rear, not planning anything over 33" tires and only mild to moderate trails. Anything very technical for trails or larger tires you'll be looking at one ton axles.

Don't forget search function is your friend here. While this forum is more tolerant than one's like Pirate, people here are still not going to hold your hand. Need to really read and start planning. I started reading/researching about 2 years prior to even starting to purchase parts.
Unread 03-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
vespo94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man appreciate it. Not planning on anything bigger than 33"
Unread 03-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Have not seen you on here for a while, hope I did not run you off. Don't forget to get your post count up so when you start this project you can post pictures for us to see. I am currently just getting a start on my own 4bt build. Was planning to be further than I am but, an injury last fall slowed me down. Hope to get started again in the next month or so.
Unread 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
vespo94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nah man just startin to gather all the necessary parts and waitin for a good deal on engine and trans and readin more into it so I know what all I'm doing. Will definitely post pics when I start, not sure when I will start though
Unread 03-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #9
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Got my motor, ended up buying a complete van and driving it home 120 miles. I'm still trying to find a motor and trans myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.