1988 2Dr Cherokee Pioneer - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1988 2Dr Cherokee Pioneer

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #76
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

looks great nice work. I think it would look great with a roof top cargo basket

teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #77
SocalJeepguy

these are fun
SocalJeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #78
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I like the way this build has turned out
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #79
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Looking great Gr1m! I haven't done much of anything to mine except for a few utility upgrades (like a 3,000W inverter, 140A Alternator, new rotors, new tie rod ends and did some sandblasting on the body to remove some rust and hit it with some primer and paint..)
My sandblasting attire.. lol

I mean, its stable enough to go 65mph down the highway. (I was at 65 but was slowing down due to my turn coming up, lol) Dashboard oil pres gauge is busted btw.. (see the mechanical gauage located in the bottom right hand side)

Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #80
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

So quick update, finally relocated my license plate since it was blocking my tail light before. Also mounted my CB antennae, but remains unconnected until I install the actual radio unit.

-=1988 2Dr Cherokee Restoration=-
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1988-2dr-cherokee-pioneer-1130763/
Gr1m22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #81
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Alright time to vent.. So I had been working on trying to mount my CB radio unit in a way that made it look like it was built into the jeep itself (kind of like a CD player head unit) and spent a good week and a half making a plate to fit in the cubby-hole space below the glove box and it was turning out beautifully. My plan was to make the plate out of sheet metal, then use black synthetic leather to upholster it... BUT I made the cut out hole for the unit too snug so it fit in alright, but then it became stuck. Not thinking at the time, I just yanked it hard and ended up literally tearing the front of the unit off, snapping the plastic faceplate and ripping EVERY tracer connection to the front circuit board. If the connections were just simple wires, I would attempt to re-solder it, but the tracers (laminated into the circuit board) were torn out beyond repair.

Long story short, my CB antennae is now just for show. Keep in mind that I got the CB radio for free from a friend, but it still blows that I broke it.

Unread 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #82
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so even though I broke my cb radio unit beyond repair, I put too much effort and work into trying to mount it so I figured I might as well go through with it for now. I decided to make use of the cubby-hole below the glovebox since I never use it and no one in the passenger seat uses it either.

I took the plastic body panel off to size up the opening to the cubby-hole and then traced the measurements onto some sheet metal I had laying around. I used painters tape to help make the markings more visible and so they wouldnt rub off as soon as I touched them.

I was out of cutting wheels for my angle grinder, but had a bunch of little circle blades for a dremel tool so I used that instead.

I used a thick straight L bracket as a cutting guide to produce a straight cut, then went over the edges with a metal file to give it a smooth edge.

Mounted in plastic panel using small screws where you can see the drill holes.

Heres the plate before upholstering and before cutting the hole for the radio

Final product after upholstering with black faux leather from local fabric store (was hoping to find a matching blue shade (came soo close but no luck) so went with black.

Eventually I plan to include some switches or light indicators in the open area of the panel to the right of the radio. I was hoping the radio would be slightly more flush with the panel kind of like the CD player, but I would of had to start cutting into the plastic around the blower motor which I would rather not do.

What do you think? I'm open to friendly criticism/comments

Unread 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #83
bigredjeep1

Good job!
Yeah those midwest rust belt jeeps can be scary with the rusted out floors!
bigredjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #84
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m22 View Post
So the first "real" performance mod I did was the 5.0L 19lb mustang fuel injectors. They supposedly create a better fuel mist by using 4 holes instead of the stock 1.
Mustang Injector (:
Stock Injector (-)

Since I had to take out a bunch of stuff to install the injectors, I decided to repaint the metal to make it look nicer

Here are the Mustang injectors after being installed

Another fun fact about my jeep is the alarm system. I never knew what this little black box did until I "armed" it... Apparently once it is armed and the doors are closed, the alarm will sound about a minute after any door is opened. When it is armed, the hood locks shut so no one can pop it until the system is deactivated. Pretty sweet tech for 1988
I know its 6 pages and 3 years later but does OP or anyone else know what year to get those 5.0 injectors? Its driving me up a wall cause I keep finding part numbers and the boobs at Advanced Auto dont know what to do with it. I want to be able to say 19xx fuel injectors and just walk away happy.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #85
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I also want to add that I own a beat *** '88 Pioneer with the 4.0 I6 and I love it to death. Making it pretty again is slow work but little by little I get there.
Built not bought.
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #86
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohn92 View Post
I know its 6 pages and 3 years later but does OP or anyone else know what year to get those 5.0 injectors? Its driving me up a wall cause I keep finding part numbers and the boobs at Advanced Auto dont know what to do with it. I want to be able to say 19xx fuel injectors and just walk away happy.
Wow I cant believe its already been three years.. as it turns out your in luck. The injectors I used were from a (1990-94 model) 5.0 mustang. They have the 19lbs pressure rate. I would suggest finding someone on ebay who refurbishes sets; IMO its better than buying used ones and then buying all new seals for them.

If all else fails, you could look into the dodge neon 19lbs fuel injectors, i think they have 4 holes as well.

Hope this helps

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #87
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m22 View Post
Wow I cant believe its already been three years.. as it turns out your in luck. The injectors I used were from a (1990-94 model) 5.0 mustang. They have the 19lbs pressure rate. I would suggest finding someone on ebay who refurbishes sets; IMO its better than buying used ones and then buying all new seals for them.

If all else fails, you could look into the dodge neon 19lbs fuel injectors, i think they have 4 holes as well.

Hope this helps
Thanks bud! I heard about the Neon ones too. A friend of mine got 3... only 3 of them for an 87 xj he had and then ****ing sold it. Id rather go with the 5.0 injectors because its sounds meaner than Dodge Neon... anyway thanks again, you save me from a massive head ache.
Built not bought.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.