1988 2Dr Cherokee Pioneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1988 2Dr Cherokee Pioneer

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

1988 2Dr Cherokee Pioneer

So for as long as I can remember, my family had this old jeep rotting away at our lakehouse. We basically used it to get the boat in and out of the lake, and for the quick trips to town. Anyways, years of abuse and neglect left their mark. This is what I started with:

Whats left of my very first attempt at fiberglass/bodyfiller

Notice the damage from the fallen tree on the roof rack

Busted fog lights and sun-damaged babyblue paint

Cracked Passenger Fender Flare, Roof is dented from a tree falling on it (miracle the windshield did not break)

Gr1m22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Post up some pix as you build it. What are your plans? How are the floors? Ah post up a picture of the rear axle.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

So after driving my jeep roughly 6 hours home (typical trip time from lakehouse to actual home), I realized that there was literally just carpet separating my feet from the road. Once I got the jeep home and stripped the carpet out, I found that the floor had seen much better days. Sadly I do not have any photos but there was no floor left on the drivers side by the pedals. I ordered a replacement floorpan and put it in. At that time I did not have a welder so I ended up bolting the pan to the frame, caulking the seam, then fiberglassing over the seam. Worked good enough for me. I then used rubberized undercoating spray to cover the entire floor. Once I had the entire jeep down to the frame, I took it to Maaco to get it repainted. Ended up getting a darker blue to keep it matching with the blue interior. After painting:

I called in a favor from my highschool autos teacher to use his blastchamber to clean up the original rims, then bought some enamel paint and sprayed them black. I saved the original chrome trim pieces and reused them as well

I didnt like how the tailights "stood out" by being so brightly colored, so I got some tinting spray and tried it out. For a first attempt, Im quite happy with the results

Finished rear with bumper installed
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I became a fan of my "local" (45min away) junkyard because I found a lot of goodies for the jeep; including a replacement passenger fender, whole center console, updated instrument cluster (replaced original '88 one with a full '9x cluster), cupholders, headliner base, headliner speakerbar, and others I cant think of at the moment.

After the "new" centerconsole was installed; the jeep originally did not have a center console, instead it had little trim pieces around the Ebrake and Shifter

Had to take some steps backward to finish a few things I forgot, like taking the rear bumper off again to put the hatch gasket on

Since I like doing everything myself, I attempted on putting the cargo windows back in... which was a mistake. I ended up shattering one of them. I got a replacement pair but they are tinted so I wont be able to reuse the awesome decal which came with the jeep

Before cargo louver

After cargo louver

While I had the plastic trim off from the lights, I decided to give it a fresh coat of black paint, then reassembled them and put the lights back in. I also repainted the grille

After the grille was installed. I did a base black, then taped off the majority (took for friggin ever) and painted the inner portions silver.
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

After I was happy with how the grille turned out, I cleaned up the front bumper and put it back on.. then had to take it off after realizing I bolted it on without pulling the fog lights to the front

As I was tinkering with the fog lights, I noticed how they were faded, and even rusting on the interior. Sooo I gave them a quick paint job, and used the leftover silver paint from the grille on the inside of the lights

Once I was happy with the fog lights, I put the bumper caps back on

I gave the mirrors a quick paint job also, just to make them look ..not so old..

So after some blood sweat and tears (literally; but tears of joy) this is what I had to show for my hard work

My dad surprised me by ordering a replacement hood padding. Before

After. Fun fact about that funky looking light; apparently it is a retractable 20ft spotlight with a magnetic base for "repairs in the field"

I was a little hesitant about doing the headliner by myself, but definitely did not want to pay someone an arm and a leg to do it. My dad and I went to Joannes Fabrics and got some headliner material (and yes, apparently they do carry special headliner fabric with a foam base) and some headliner spray adhesive.

Heres the speakerbar I mentioned earlier

Had enough headliner material to cover the speakerbar; Im so happy with how it turned out

Rear view
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
seanXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm really liking it man! Keep up the good work. What are you plans for the rest of the build? Also is it going to be a DD or just a project for the trail?
seanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Looking great so far. How much did you invest into the paint? What do you plan to do for wheels and tires?
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Overall, I was able to reuse about 90% of the original materials, such as the seats, the carpeting (reused the carpet, but installed new carpet padding), just about all original interior except headliner, gauge cluster, and center console.

Here is the finished product (at the moment) with the new tinted cargo windows (professionally) installed.

Once everything aesthetic was done, I didnt know what to do with my spare time, so I became knit-picky. I decided to spruce up the valve cover, and replace the old gasket.

A friend of mine who enjoys offroading in his wrangler got a new bumper for his birthday (the kind that protects the hood if the jeep rolls over). Unfortunately for him, he was out of town when it came. He told me that if I installed it for him and had it ready by the time he got back, I could have his old bumper. So I did. Using my imagination, here was the prototype mock-up of my "payment"

What I did not realize was that he had covered the entire thing with the truckbed coating, which is not designed to come off easily.. or at all for that matter. I tried everything from various types of stripper, to burning it off, but the only decent way was to scrape it off by hand using a razorblade scraper. Once it was all removed, I sanded it smooth and (since I cannot even come close to affording it to be chrome-plated) I sprayed it with "Chrome Spraypaint", I know, sounds cheesy, but for $8 a can, worked pretty darn well.

And now ladies and gentlemen, I present to you; My Jeep.

Keep in mind that the Wrangler bumper required some fabrication to fit. I had to cut the mounting brackets, turn them vertical, then weld them back on.

The fog light mounts also needed some modification to fit, but turned out fine
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

So the first "real" performance mod I did was the 5.0L 19lb mustang fuel injectors. They supposedly create a better fuel mist by using 4 holes instead of the stock 1.
Mustang Injector (:
Stock Injector (-)

Since I had to take out a bunch of stuff to install the injectors, I decided to repaint the metal to make it look nicer

Here are the Mustang injectors after being installed

Another fun fact about my jeep is the alarm system. I never knew what this little black box did until I "armed" it... Apparently once it is armed and the doors are closed, the alarm will sound about a minute after any door is opened. When it is armed, the hood locks shut so no one can pop it until the system is deactivated. Pretty sweet tech for 1988
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Now after I had finished everything on the jeep, I was left with about a tupperware box full of "leftovers".. most are understandable because I replaced many of the old rusted hardware bits, but I was also left with this:

I have no idea where it came off of or what it did. If anyone can help me out with where this goes, and what it is, I would be forever grateful..

Close up of the middle
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
seanXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Did you notice any significant change in the way the jeep ran after you put the mustang injectors in? I've been thinking of doing it, but I haven't heard any response to how it ran afterwards.
seanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

I put the 24lb ford injectors in my 5.9 when i did a little other engine work. Runs great no issues at all. My dad put the 19lb ford injectors in his 93 zj in probably about 97 or so and he also loved them. Put probably 75-80k miles on them with no issue. Truck was then sold to a local guy who still drives it.
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
Gr1m22
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanXJ View Post
Did you notice any significant change in the way the jeep ran after you put the mustang injectors in? I've been thinking of doing it, but I haven't heard any response to how it ran afterwards.
i did notice i go through gas a lil more quickly.. or it could just be my imagination.. it does have a little more kick to it but cant tell for sure. they are def better than the stock injectors, and I managed to get a set of rebuilt ones for around $60
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

your jeeps looking so clean with that paint job and good job on the bumper it looks great!

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Easyduzit

Nice work! I just picked up an '88 4 door pioneer for a project vehicle. It needs a bit of work as well, but it is from North Carolina so there is NO rust anywhere. The paint is extremely faded though and it needs a paint job.

What did you do to yours before sending it to Maaco? In the pictures the paint looks pretty good, but I have heard horror stories about maaco. I am not looking to get a showroom finish, but I also don't want it to look like someone rolled the paint on.

Thanks
Easyduzit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.