1987 Comanche Long Bed Engine Rebuild. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1987 Comanche Long Bed Engine Rebuild.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
supertaco

1987 Comanche Long Bed Complete Rebuild.

Hello there! This thread is for my Comanche's build. This thread is a work in progress. First a little about myself, and than a lot about my rig.

A little about me! Im almost 30, ive recently had some major hand surgery to reconstruct some tendons. Unfortunately they didnt turn out perfect and there is very little strength in my left hand. This makes turning wrenches difficult at best! Thankfully I have a slew of family shade tree / home shop mechanics to help this project along.

The rig is a 1987 Jeep Comanche Laredo Long Bed 2WD Dana 35 rear 3.55
Tan interior, awful red paint job covering up factory gold. thankfully very very little rust on this baby. a Florida Jeep. I picked it up for 950 dollars. Back in March. Had it Towed home ( the tires weren't safe to drive very far ) and over all i thought I picked up a decent ride. However. I really should have looked a little harder before I leaped. Because this thing has been a J.E.E.P.

I spent 150 dollars and slapped some used 30x9.50r15s on there that were in pretty decent shape. they have another ten thousand miles or so before they will be May-Pops. Every thing was hunky dory for a few days untill i heard this awful sound trying to turn the jeep on. Starter wasn't engaging the flex plate. replaced the starter and it worked fine for a few months. until same problem. starter wouldn't engage the flex plate. that means the starter was just a symptom of a larger problem. i looked under there and it looked like the motor was separating from the transmission. The decision was made to pull the motor out, do a complete rebuild and hope when it was all back together, I would have a brand new truck to last many years. So far so good!

The donor motor from my brothers dead 1988 xj went to my local hot rod machine shop. the machinist was like "WHOA I never get to work on these anymore. " He said that these blocks rarely need anything major. so I paid him 300 bucks to line hone the cam journals, mill the deck, hot tank, and hone the cylinders. and he gave me his stamp of approval to rebuild it. I might have paid a few extra dollars but the other machine shops in town suck. I go to PARTSCO in Gainesville FL. Worth Every penny to have an experienced machine shop do the work right the first time.

Phase One : Engine

Phase Two : Exterior

Phase Three : Interior

Phase Four : Running Gear / Suspension

Special thanks, all of family and friends who helped out with elbow grease or chipping on parts!

before2.jpg   before3.jpg  
before1.jpg

Last edited by supertaco; 08-12-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Updated!
supertaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
supertaco

Engine

Here will go the parts list. With Part Numbers if you want to rebuild your Renix
pictures
mishaps
misfortunes
to do with the engine rebuild.
and the general tale of this beast.

Engine parts list
Transmission Cooler - B+M #70268 $58
Cam - CompCams - #K68-232-4 ( see notes) $339
Crank - Sealed Power #XXXX $165
Valve Springs - Melling - #VS-1298 $1.98x12 =$24
Rebuild Kit - Engine Tech #XXXX - $119
Oil Pump - #XXXX $40
Flex Plate - Dorman #XXXX - $54
Header - PaceSetter #70-1191 $225 [
Muffler - IMCO - Exhaust Fully Welded Mufflers . ( Flowmaster 40 clone ) #77441 $20
Transmission Gasket and Filter # $24
Oil Filter Adapter Gasket Kit - Dorman - #RNB-82560 $4
Motor Mounts - anchor - #ani-2572 $13
Oxygen Sensor - Evan-Fischer #EVA14672052432 $25
Air Filter - Summit / K&N #SUM-F1334 $40
Oil Filter - Wix - #51182 $7
Injectors - Bosch #0280155703 $65
Oil *- Rotella 10w30 T -$15 - 20 /jug x 3 jugs $50
Shop Supplies - 40$
Serpentine Belt #XXXX $24
Zinc Additive - Lucas $15
Coolant $12
hoses $20

Air Intake - Home Brew $5 NEED
Heat Shield - manufacture from trash can $5 + piece of pipe insulation $3

Paint - Compliments of my Engine Builder FREEBIE 40$

Cooling System Upgrade - DirtBoundOffRoad triple xj fan $260 WISHLIST
A/C Compressor #XXXX $100 WISHLIST
A/C Condenser #XXXX $55 WISHLIST
A/C Lines #XXXX WISHLIST
A/C Drier #XXXX $35? WISHLIST
Throttle body bore 60. WISHLIST

totals needs updating

PAID 2599 including cost of truck (950) and title and machine work (300) , tires (150)

NEED 121

Jeeps are money pits . so i track mine accordingly !!!! i encourage you guys to do the same!

Notes about Comp Cams K68-232-4 . the cam and bearings are a perfect fit. the springs , retainers , and valve locks DO NOT FIT YOUR JEEP. unless you have an AMC 258. ( Found in YJs and CJs ) if you have a XJ, MJ , TJ, or ZJ or any other J with a AMC 242 4.0 you SHOULD NOT ORDER the KIT. just order the Cam from Comp cams and get the valve springs else where. if COMP makes a spring that fits this jeep. I couldnt find it. i have emailed COMP and complained for everyone else who has been troubled by this. I am sending back the misfits for 100$ in refunds to buy other parts !!

After tons of homework I found out that the melling vs1298 valve springs will work with stock retainers and with cams up to .480 lift. you can look this up yourself or trust me. up to you. Im not getting into it so what ever just my 2 cents.

My homework pages.

link to a great page on getting rid of excess vacuum lines ( i live in florida. no smog no visual. ) and since i think its handy someone else might as well.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...1033466&page=4

Heater hose Clean up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...valve-1152084/

aw4 Transmission specs
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

HVAC walk Through
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/hva...roblems-37276/

home made cold air intake ideas
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/home...-intake-10520/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/air-filter-118526/

renix sensor info

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm

egr delete info
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...do-i-need.html

Last edited by supertaco; 08-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Updating
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
supertaco

Exterior

Here will go plans for the exterior
door swap
Looking for newer Xj Doors.With the updated interiors, new mirrors, and most importantly the lack of vent windows.
i suppose i should do the 97+ front end clip swap if i happen to come across one. probably off the same Xj i get the doors from =)

Color Scheme
Im dead set on getting rid of the red. OMG its bad. The engine compartment is gold. I decided not to change that since it was still in decent shape. However I wont let that effect the exteriors color, Living in Florida I think that White is the answer. I will however rhino line the lower section of the jeep black.

roof rack id like to create some form of pop up / removable rack that has telescopic expandable square tubes that form an awning on both sides. maybe one side will form a complete screen room or tent.. also might incorporate a small solar panel to keep the 12v battery charged

Tool Boxes, Tools and Equipment;
id prefer a side opening tool box rather than a opening box.
Shovels ( digging alone sucks )
Axe, bow saw
5 gallon fuel can
5 gallon water can
Oil
Jack with plates / blocks
Full Size Spare
Tow Strap

Bug Out Box;
Canned food
Canned Water.
Tarps
emergency blankets
First aid kit
road flares
Twine
Tent
Knife/ Hunting Supplies

bumpers / other armor
something serious upfront. i want to be able to destroy a deer if i accidentally hit one with out damaging my jeep.

winch / recovery gear

Last edited by supertaco; 08-12-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Updating
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
supertaco

Interior

Here will go plans for the
seats
carpet kit
car audio
CB / ham radio
head liner
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
supertaco

Under Carriage

So I want this Jeep to be able to TOW / HAUL some heavy loads or a travel trailer from time to time.

Axle Swap and 4wd conversion
plans are for a ford 8.8 or Chrysler 9.25 im really not sure. the 8.8 seems so much easier.
transfer case is 231 with SYE already installed compliments of my brother FREEBIE
i should be able to pull the Dana 30 from my brothers XJ. it will need a complete rebuild .. i have no idea what that is going to cost.

however i may just throw a locker in the rear and forgo the axle swap for the time being.

Drive Shafts.
TBD

Rear Suspension upgrade
im going to find a half ton suspension in a junk yard with super long leaf springs 63.5 inches or so,move the rear spring mounting points to match, go spring over in the rear. and either 4.5 or 6 inch coils in the front.

Rims and Tires
some newer wrangler 17 inch rims with wheel adapters tires will probably be of the load range D or E category. so tread patterns, load range and price will all be a factor at the time of purchase..
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
ZSXJ430

Good luck man! I have a build going on now too...check it out. Any pictures? That is quite a list....more money than I have to put into mine.
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
supertaco

Yup pictures will be up sometime tonight i hope. I dont have many but I have a few. I am on cellular internet with only 1 bar of 3g service. so it takes a while to post these things. but Ill get er done. check back in an hour or so for pictures. also can you link your build? it takes to long for me to search these things on my crappy internet. thanks
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
supertaco

Cam and crank install

removal of comanches 4.0. going to donate it to my engine builder, he has either stroker plans for it or hes gonna smelt it. well see.
cam1.jpg   cam2.jpg   crank1.jpg   crank.jpg   engine-removal.jpg  

Unread 08-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
supertaco

mods delete
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
supertaco

mods delete
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
supertaco

Does anyone have part numbers for the transmission dowels? the pins that help line the motor and transmission together????
thanks
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice little project, I had a friend in high school who had a truck like that

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
ZSXJ430

No part number to help...maybe call NAPA or Advance? I did look here for you, no luck http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-en...4.0L-242-a.htm. No luck on this one either http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-tr...in-ax4-ax5.htm.
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
supertaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSXJ430 View Post
No part number to help...maybe call NAPA or Advance? I did look here for you, no luck http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-en...4.0L-242-a.htm. No luck on this one either http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-tr...in-ax4-ax5.htm.
thanks. so far they are proving elusive. luckily i still have time before i need them

found it ! part number chrysler / mopar j4005148
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
ZSXJ430

You might have to find a junk yard, if you could get them out without ruining them...that would be the trick on a used engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.