1985 CJ7 Restomod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1985 CJ7 Restomod

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 01-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

1985 CJ7 Restomod

Got a new project and this time its a real project. Pictures are how it arrived, body is just sitting on the frame with a few bolts in it and the whole front clip had 4 bolts in it. Wire harness is wrapped around the engine. But whats under the body is the best part.

Here's the stats
1985 CJ7 258 6cyl/T5 manual trans/Dana300
New Trailmaster 4" suspension/shocks
5-35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's (old style) on 4-Raceline Beadlocks!!
stock widetrack Dana 30 front w/ NEW 4.56 gears, NEW Detroit locker, NEW Superior alloy shafts and joints, NEW hub bearings/seals, NEW calipers/rotors/pads
stock widetrack Model 20 rear w/ NEW 4.56 gears, New Powertrax No-slip locker, NEW Superior one piece alloy axles, NEW brakes
NEW hard-brakeline kit installed
NEW braided stainless brake lines
NEW dual diaphragm booster and master cyl.
NEW Borgeson steering gear w/NEW M.O.R.E HD mount AND HD steering shaft
NEW Currie steering links/TRE's
NEW steering pump and hoses
NEW Spicer u-joints in both driveshafts with new hardware.
NEW windshield hinges

Also got extras not instill still in boxes
NEW Genright rocker guards,
NEW Genright aluminum full corner armor,
NEW ORF front cage kit
NEW Savvy taillights,
NEW OE fender flares.
NEW Hd diff cover
NEW seat belts
OD green paint kit
H4 TJ lights
NEW Genright front bumper mounts to run a TJ/YJ bumper

I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting
The plan is right now just to get it running and driving. Need to put the wiring back together, new battery and cables, finish plumbing some lines for the brakes, take off the passenger side knuckle to have it machined so I can flip the steering to the top of the knuckles to fix bump steer. Bolt in the roll bar (looking for a family style YJ or TJ rear cage). Finish bolting on the body. And drive it I got this jeep on a trade for a daily driver accord the last two previous owners had it inside for the last 3-4 years.

Right now im thinking of going with no front fenders but once i save up im thinking of some 3" flare tube fenders like metal cloaks and tube rear fenders, stinger rear bumper/tire carrier, stubby front bumper with a HF winch, body has to be sanded down and painted, there is a crap ton of bondo under the white paint because they wanted it to be a seamless show body. I want to spray in inside of the tub and cage with monstaliner (color undecided) and probably paint the exterior white.
Anyways heres some pics

Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice starting point. I will be watch for updates.

Jim
Jimbo58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo58 View Post
Nice starting point. I will be watch for updates.

Jim
Thanks! Should be killer when done.
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Some more random pics
Corners

Rockers

New booster, gotta hook up the steering, and already fixed that booster line

No Fenders

Got a new air compressor yesterday so the real work will start soon damn work getting in the way
Unread 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. ya work can be a pain in the a$$. lol

Jim
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
dsfd722sts
1980 CJ7 

is that the Vanco set up (booster, Master cylinder)? do you like the set up u have? looks like 8" booster? cant wait to get back to WA!
dsfd722sts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfd722sts View Post
is that the Vanco set up (booster, Master cylinder)? do you like the set up u have? looks like 8" booster? cant wait to get back to WA!
i looked up the vanco booster and i dont think its the same one. Im not sure of the brand. I just know its new and its a dual diaphragm booster lol.

On that note I shortened the brake line going to the master and finished tightening all the brake connections. and filled up the master. went onto other things and before you knew it it was leaking like a sieve from the passenger front caliper at the banjo bolt. I tightened it more and still leaked, took it off and cleaned the washers and still leaking a little. Got new washers and had to make a trip to cali on my days off. So im going to try to get the brakes fixed and bled this weekend and get the knuckle off to get it machined so i can finish the steering. I got the wiring all hooked back up and had it running the other day off a gas can. So im gonna drop the tank and make sure its clean and no old gas and hook the fuel lines back up. Finish putting on the body lift because the body is just sitting on there right now. Then im going to mount the starter solenoid to the battery tray, run new battery cables. mount the radiator to the grill and throw some coolant in there and she should be able to be driven around the block.
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

kinda a little up date, i got it running and driving yesterday took it around the block no tail lights so didnt want to take it to far lol.

Passenger side knuckle got new spicer ball joints and it was also reemed out for the drag link to be mounted to the top of the knuckle.

I pulled it out and pressure washed it (before)

Installed a battery kill switch Yes its just zip tied to the dash because im going to remove the dash to clean it up, paint, and mouth the kill to the dash its self.

Heres the paint im thinking of going with, sail blue. Kinda a crappy shot it look darker in person

Heres a blurry pic but this is more the true color

I bought some 80% complete YJ tube fenders that im gonna make fit

there is more work that was done but didnt take pics. Now its time to strip the body parts of the layers of bondo, install the rockers and corners, remove and paint.
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Some people should not touch bondo...the whole side of the jeep had about a 1/4 inch of bondo its crazy. if you have to drill holes to make the bondo stick that should be your first clue to stop

It looked like it snowed in the garage

i think im going to just leave the driver side, paint it and install the corners and rockers. and be on the lookout for a new tub
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

so its official Genright fits like crap. I have the genright aluminum corners and genright rockers. You would think they would fit with each other.
Rockers are tight against the floor pans and the corners are inline with the light holes on the back and wheel well.

got the ol rattle can today

Unread 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

looks great

Jim
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo58 View Post
looks great

Jim
Thanks Jim, its a good 10 footer lol. Covering up half the body with armor will help
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Armor install

Nutsert 1 jeep 0

Unread 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Jimbo58
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you going to recess your taillights. I did mine and looks better, in my humble opinion.

Only rebuild of my 89

On my retired 94

Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the good work.

Jim
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

I got a set of Savvy taillights that im gonna throw on for now, may end up changing them later i really dont wanna bash up $200 taillights. I already have a set of 4" round trucker style LED lights in the garage from another project that my end up on there depending....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.