1985 CJ-7 Laredo Restoration - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1985 CJ-7 Laredo Restoration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #91
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I'd been on the fence for a while whether or not to replace the motor. I had decided to just do seals and gaskets and clean it up. Apparently, it had a different plan in mind. Oh well, what's a couple more thousand dollars in the grand scheme of things, LOL!

In other news, a little test on the wheels with some stripper reveals a nice chrome wheel under the failing clear coat. I'll work on these next and try to figure our what tire to mate them with.

img_7048.jpg

GFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #92
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Today I got all of the old clear coat off of the rims. Overall, they are in really good shape. I still have some cleaning and polishing to do (maybe I'll try the tin foil trick). The rim for the spare tire does have quite a bit of chrome flaking off, so i might replace that one eventually. For the time being, a spare tire cover will certainly mask the problem!
wheel1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

Unread 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #93
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Got the rear brakes put back together. Holding off on big ticket items until fall so I'm focusing on other things like brakes, wiring harness, degreasing bell housing, motor brackets, etc. All the slow going, boring stuff. Doesn't feel like much progress is made while working on these items, but it has to be done.
drum.jpg

Unread 08-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #94
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what kind of stripper did u use on the rims

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #95
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #96
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I just used your basic paint stripper mostly used for wood refinishing, as that is what I had on hand. Aircraft stripper is a bit more potent, but as bad of shape as the clearcoat was on these wheels brake fluid probably would have worked. The key to any stripper is to dab it on rather than brush it. Also keep it out of direct sun so it doesn't dry out. It only needed to sit about 10 minutes per wheel before hosing off and a little scrubbing with an old toothbrush. They really look pretty good, not perfect. I'm afraid they aren't up to snuff with the paint on the new body so I may look into re-chroming. That has its own set of problems- (cost, the hard to chrome areas where the pieces meet, etc...) I'm really glad AMC coated them, otherwise they would have rusted away years ago. I'm still contemplating a new clear coat.
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #97
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Correction: MasterPro Automotive Paint Stripper. I had it left over from stripping the hood and fenders. In other news, I picked up a set of full steel doors from a friend. I'll do a test fit with them to see how well they fit the Replitub and if they're a good fit I'll paint them to match the body and sell the crappy two piece soft doors that came with the new top. The steelies are in better shape than the originals I sold for more money so I'll still come out ahead. Can't wait to find the time and motivation to really make some headway on the project.
Unread 08-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #98
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info, your jeeps looking great too

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.