1985 CJ-7 Laredo Restoration - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1985 CJ-7 Laredo Restoration

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #46
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFox View Post
Finally got the hood, tailgate, grille and fenders stripped. Mow I'm faced with the decision if it's worth it to finish restoring these or by aftermarket panels. With the time and materials needed it might be more economical to buy new. I mean, these are decent- would be great for a driver or mud toy but I'm worried about rust coming back to haunt me down the road. I hear horror stories even when using epoxy primer. It's rust vs. poor fitment. Tough decision. Selling the old parts would also help offset the cost of new. Gonna have to sleep on this a couple more days.
You have an awesome build going here. The fenders look really good, but the dash has definitely seen better days. If you are looking for an original Laredo dash, I have one sitting in my garage. It has a couple of extra holes in it that would need to be welded up, but no rust to speak of. I was going to put it on eBay, but if you are interested...

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #47
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the offer. The dash isn't actually as bad as it looks, aside from the hole above the tach. I think I'll patch it up and go with it. The fenders are going out to be blasted. Too much rust to just sand out and with them mostly stripped I figure it's less change they'll come back warped
GFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #48
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

No problem. Looking forward to the next update.

Unread 08-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #49
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Well, the misc. parts are at Blasting Impressions to be garnet blasted. The tub has been stripped and primered with epoxy. It's time for a little body work to begin. The rear quarters will be tacked first as they have nothing to mate to. The rest will have to wait til it's all together temporarily on the frame. This means it's time to order brake lines, fuel lines and a gas tank. Time to start thinking about ordering another T5 transmission as well. But before all that I need to get the chassis black on the frame which I hope to do this weekend.

I did spend this time this past weekend coating the inside of the frame with Eastwood's internal frame coating. A nifty product with a small hose with sprays 360 degrees. I used 3 cans and suspect I did a pretty good job though I am sure there are spots that were missed. It encapsulates and converts rust and coats to prevent new rust from forming. Even if I didn't get it all this Jeep will be rust free way beyond the rest of my lifetime.
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #50
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Hey not sure if you know about this place but the cj and dj fenders are the same..."postal jeep parts .com has fenders unprimed for 50$ and 80$ for primed...but they are used....just a thought in case you decide not to use yours....I almost have floors finally..hope to finish them tomorrow...how much was the Eastwood internal stuff???...anyway...check out my build.."special delivery "...i would love to hear your thoughts...oh and keep on jeepin...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #51
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Eastwood's internal frame coating was about $20 bucks a can. Kindy pricey but it goes a long way. I'm sure there are less expensive ways (boiled linseed oil) but this was what I decided on. It seems to have very good bonding even where it ran our some of the holes onto the outside of the frame. That sounds like a good deal on fenders, I'll have to look into that. And your build as well. Thanks!
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #52
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Eastwood's internal frame coating was about $20 bucks a can. Kindy pricey but it goes a long way. I'm sure there are less expensive ways (boiled linseed oil) but this was what I decided on. It seems to have very good bonding even where it ran our some of the holes onto the outside of the frame. That sounds like a good deal on fenders, I'll have to look into that. And your build as well. Thanks!
$20 a can isn't really that much all things considered...I found this place that sells newly manufactured 2x4 .250wall mandrel bent frames...complete w/ all brackets they want $2300 but they said they would sell just the main rails for $800+shipping...I have 2 DJs one is a 71..and it's off-road only and the other is a 77, I'm building it to be a daily driver for now but when I get something else later I plan on building it for (non-mud) off-road....I'll probably pick up a set of those rails just to save time cutting all the crap jeep welded/hot rivited on..not to mention thicker nicer and fully boxed and ready to weld-on...lol

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #53
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Finally got a coat of Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black on the frame. I must say, I'm not a big fan as it's still a little too glossy for me. Trying to decide whether to apply a second coat (I already have the paint) or go with another brand with a more satin look.
photo.jpg

Unread 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #54
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

I agree with you on the finish. I think that it would more original without the gloss finish.

Unread 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #55
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Nothing a little road grime won't fix...lol....gotta figure only gonna see some small amount once it's all assembled...so the gloss might not be as noticed

Unread 08-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #56
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Yeah, I'm slowly learning to live with it. It might even be easier to clean being more glossy. After almost a week the adhesion seems to be improving and it's hardening a bit more. I'll probably use the other quart I have for a second coat and call it done. Though I can say I won't use it again or recommend it to anyone.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #57
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm slowly learning to live with it. It might even be easier to clean being more glossy. After almost a week the adhesion seems to be improving and it's hardening a bit more. I'll probably use the other quart I have for a second coat and call it done. Though I can say I won't use it again or recommend it to anyone.
I hear ya..lol never been a total fan of Eastwood products...but I can honestly say that since I have never seen half of the cars new that I've seen it used on I have nothing to compare it with ...maybe frames were shinier when new and faded after time(i doubt it) but I think it looks good...heck worst case scenario, hit it with a light coat of satin rustoleum pro. after your second coat cures...I've found that as far as rattle can it hardens up nice..just a thougt could also color sand it with 800-1000 grit but if finish isn't slick it might just dull the high spots...watching hot rod tv and those chopper shows can learn you bout some fake finishing...lol

Unread 11-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Finally getting back to working on the CJ. The new brake and fuel lines arrived from inline tube the other day. So far these lines fit perfectly. I also ordered a 15 gallon plastic fuel tank, straps and sending unit but the tank is on backorder. That's OK as it will give me time to clean and paint the skid plate. I've uploaded a video showing the brake line routing or the original brake and fuel lines. Figured it might be handy. It is here:
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Unread 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #59
GFox
1985 CJ7 

A little more work on the brake and fuel lines today. Got everything basically in place, but I need to do a little tweaking here and there before I tighten everything down. Cleaned and painted black the factory clamps but I'm not quite content with their holding power (Some are a little thin from years of rust). Contemplating making my own or maybe even using electric conduit clamps. Also pressure washed the skid plate for the fuel tank as a first step of bringing it back to life so it can protect the new 15 gal. plastic fuel tank.
lines.jpg  
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #60
GFox
1985 CJ7 

The weather warmed up a bit so I did some work on the fuel tank/skid plate. I read where the aftermarket center strap is too long and this is definitely the case. I removed the bolt and straightened the factory bends on the strap then drilled a new hole 1.5" up from the bottom of the strap. I finished up by re-welding the bolt to the strap and crating a small bend at the correct angle. The new straps are pretty beefy but not near as nice as the originals. As much as I'd like to keep everything as OEM as possible, the old straps were just too rusty. I also went with a 15 gallon plastic tank as the jeep will be a weekend toy and mostly stored over the winter and I didn't want the hassle of a tank rusting. The quality on the plastic tank is not the greatest but it will definitely serve its purpose. I still need to find a sheet of plastic or rubber to put between the skid plate and tank just as an added precaution. The original has long since deteriorated. Some time with the wire wheel , some rust converter, primer and chassis black paint made the skid plate look new again.
img_5421.jpg   img_5422.jpg   img_5424.jpg   img_5430.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.