From out of the sand
It's been a while since the last post but progress has been made. The CJ frame was picked up, sandblasted and returned. Before being blasted another small section of rust was repaired via a piece of angle iron. The frame was gone for a week even thought it only took him a day to do the work. This was OK as it gave me time to clean the garage, order supplies and work on the Wrangler a bit (more on that in a moment).
It seems counter-intuitive to dowse a nice clean raw chassis with water but that's what the instructions say for POR 15's metal ready. Against my better judgement I applied the product, let it sit for about 20 minutes and then hosed off the residue. Once back in the garage the frame was wiped dry and a fan was set up to allow it to dry thoroughly overnight. It actually didn't flash rust too much and POR15 prefers rust as a base so I guess it all makes sense.
I spent about 4 hours brushing on the first coat of POR 15, making sure to get every nook and cranny (trust me, there are many!) covered in a thin coat of this unusual grey "paint". I chose grey because I figured it would be easier to see if I'm missing anything when I apply the top coat of Eastwood's Extreme Chassis black. The POR really does a good job of leveling and it doesn't leave any brush strokes at all. I used about 2/3 of a quart so I ordered more to have on hand before beginning a 2nd coat. This is the first time I've used POR15 and overall, I'm pretty impressed with this product. I suppose powder coating or even epoxy primer might be superior, but for an old frame with a little previous rust issues and a need for a DIY solution this stuff is pretty amazing. It really does form a rock hard coating although I was able to scratch it down to bare metal using the edge of a small, sharp screwdriver. We'll see what happens after the 2nd coat is applied. This Jeep, once restored will not see any harsh conditions (not intentionally, anyway) so it should hold up just fine.
Progress has also been made on project CJ2YJ as I'm now running a CJ hood and grille on the '94 wrangler and everything has been patched, primered and sanded and is now ready for base/clearcoat. The paint should arrive tomorrow and if the weather holds out it will get sprayed this weekend. This little project turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated but none of it really too difficult, just very time consuming. I was sidetracked a bit when my front right brake caliper seized which prompted a weekday evening repair. Replacing it was simply but also prompted a left rear wheel cylinder replacement when it cracked while undoing the bleeder valve. This all turned in to an unexpected complete brake job. The rotor is warped a little from the heat generated which create a little pedal wobble but I'll have it turned when I get time.
The next post will cover the conversion in a little more detail. That's all for now...