1980 CJ7: Slowly But Surely - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1980 CJ7: Slowly But Surely

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

1980 CJ7: Slowly But Surely

I like looking at other peoples threads that have progress pics so I thought I would start my own. I chose the name "Slowly But Surely" because I can see this taking a LONG time!! Ha! If it ever ends!

This is my second Jeep, in high school I drove a white 94 YJ. I had to sell it after junior college because I needed something that got better gas mileage--I missed not having a Jeep everyday after I sold it. Finally, I am in a place financially where I can have a Jeep as a 2nd car.

This is not meant to be a daily driver, just for fun in the summer and on weekends.

Info:

1980 CJ7
258 I-6

GOALS
Upgrade the 2.5" Ranchero Suspension lift to 4.5" Rubicon Express Lift
Spray the inside of the tub with U-Pol Raptor
Get new seats (haven't decided on racing seats, or bestop trailmax II seats)
New Soft top
33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials
Replace stock horn
Add stereo system (new deck, 2 5.25s up front, 2 6x9s in back, and 1 12" sub in rear)
Replace dash with stainless steel
Warn front and back bumpers
Replace Roll Bar pad
Add off-road lights (unsure of what brand)
this list will be added to quite frequently...

January 15, 2009

After months of scouring Craigslist, I finally found a CJ7 that wasn't rusted out and actually ran so I had to buy it! It was in pretty good shape, but needed a new radiator, gaskets, steering shaft, and a few other small things. These are the pics that were taken on the POs property:

The FIRST thing I had to do was to take off the black bug guard!! Then shortly after, I had to add my browning sticker just like I had in high school.

February 2009

I ordered parts like crazy this month!

Bestop Supertop
Sound wedge speaker boxes
Fusion iPod in dash player
Coverking Neoprene seat covers (returned them, I wasn't happy with how they fit)
New air filter, etc.
Stainless Steel Dash

I installed the hardware for the soft top, but it doesn't want to fit! It has been in the 30s in Kentucky and its just not warm enough for it to fit. I called the people at bestop (very nice people) and they confirmed that it really needs to be 70 degrees outside so that the material will stretch. It comes preshrunk so that it will be a snug fit. Hopefully, I will get this thing on there soon!

I ordered a stainless steel dash from Morris4x4, but they sent me the wrong one...I wanted one that had cutouts for the radio, 2 speakers, and all the gauges. The one I received didn't have the cutout for the clock or the tach. I called them up to return it, and they were very nice. They have a great selection of parts and I will be buying a lot more from them! Here is the one that they sent me:

I will go back and get photos of my soft top on the floor, sound wedges, air filter, etc.

Last edited by xbarksdale; 03-12-2009 at 08:34 PM..
xbarksdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

March 2009

I am waiting for my stainless steel dash to get here any day. I also purchased air horns to replace the stock ones from Harborfreight.com. They arrived yesterday and I plan to have them in this weekend. For more info about my custom horn work, go here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/need-help-replacing-horn-2-horn-air-horn-710553/

I finally made a major change to the appearance. I bought Mickey Thompson Baja Claws 33x12.50! They are on the wheels that came with the jeep, and they are one of the next things to go! These just got put on today, and I love the way they look--can't wait to test them off-road!!

Last edited by xbarksdale; 03-12-2009 at 08:37 PM..
xbarksdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
thething
1998 ZJ 

nice looking jeep
thething is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

March 15, 2009

I just got around to installing the air horns. I know I need to clean up the wiring, but here is what they look like:

for videos of how the stock horn sounds compared to the air horn, please go to this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710553
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

3-25-09

I finally received my stainless steel dash so that I can add 2 speakers up front! That should get put in in the next 2 weeks. Once it is installed I will post those pictures in this thread, but if you want more info on the dash please check out this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...77#post6871377
Unread 03-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a pretty clean project jeep. Those tires make it look more like a beast!
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

4-2-09

My wheels came in last night, I can't wait to get them on!!!

Unread 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
neals80
1980 CJ7 

I have the exact jeep 1980 with 258...T176 etc....I just dont have your bugdet.....Great looking and keep up the great work...I also hope to get new wheels & new dash and 4ich RE lift...I have been putting my money into Axles & Gears etc,,,,,to keep her moving.....Please keep us posted

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Altimeter
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good.
Altimeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Brads_nky_yj

Nice jeep!! Greetings from KY as well!!
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's a nice CJ you have there. Great build so far, keep it up
Unread 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
kale2s
2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks like its coming along pretty good to me
kale2s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
bigpitbull

YO XB!! The jeep really looks good!! I will have to bring my Bronc duece to jackson next time you come so we can trail ride!! Those wheels look really close to the ones I sold a couple months ago!
bigpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to see what it looks like with the new wheels. That is an awesome CJ-7.
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neals80 View Post
I have the exact jeep 1980 with 258...T176 etc....I just dont have your bugdet.....Great looking and keep up the great work...I also hope to get new wheels & new dash and 4ich RE lift...I have been putting my money into Axles & Gears etc,,,,,to keep her moving.....Please keep us posted
I don't have the budget either!!! Ha!! I'm going to go broke, but I'm going to have fun riding around! I was lucky to find one that ran fairly decent when I bought it, so I've been able to put most of my money into cosmetic things (tires/wheels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter View Post
Looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
Nice jeep!! Greetings from KY as well!!
Good to see somebody else from KY on here. This time of year I work all weekends, but hopefully in the late summer/fall we can get a KY meetup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP97TJ View Post
That's a nice CJ you have there. Great build so far, keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by kale2s View Post
looks like its coming along pretty good to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpitbull View Post
YO XB!! The jeep really looks good!! I will have to bring my Bronc duece to jackson next time you come so we can trail ride!! Those wheels look really close to the ones I sold a couple months ago!
What up brother!! Thanks man, it's come a long way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerRush View Post
I can't wait to see what it looks like with the new wheels. That is an awesome CJ-7.

Thanks for all the kind words guys...as I said before, my work schedule is crazy 7 days a week right now...I think I have Easter Sunday completely off, and if so I'm going to spend all day working on it. I will keep posting pics as more work gets done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.