This weekend has been very productive. The bolts for the 727 came in so I installed the tranny and transfer case. During this time I also installed a twin stick package to the transfer case.
Ended up having to fab up a transmission mount bracket. All said and done, the bracket looks something like this.
With these installed, i could move the jeep around again. The frame needed a bath so started off moving my tub out of the way so I could back the chassis out.
I really need to just take everything off the frame and por15 it but thats not gonna happen this year.
After moving it back inside, my choice was either put the tub back on or rip the motor apart... I chose option 2.
To my surprise someone stacked two gaskets on top of each other for the intake and exhaust manifolds!?!?
I never heard any leaks but that must have been because of the years and years of grime on this thing, heres what it did to the head.
I did a little deep cleaning and decided to test fit the headers to see if everything would line up. Thankfully all looks good so far.
I decided to dig a little deeper and take the valve cover off. Also to my surprise. The bolts holding this on were only finger tight. That could explain a few things...The more I see on this forum about the problems this engine has and how owners just happen upon issues. Things like cracked blocks but the engine still purs, just makes me realize how much I like the 258. I dont plan on changing it for anything.
The head is pretty dirty but the rods and springs look fine. Ill take a rag and clean things up a but then put the cover back on.