1979 Cj5 Resurrection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1979 Cj5 Resurrection

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
lyndellwilliams
1979 CJ5 

1979 Cj5 Resurrection

Stripped the Cj down to bare frame saved the axles, transmission(T-150) Transfer Case(Dana 20) body tub. Had to scrap the frame too many holes.

First thing was the axles. Thought about upgrading to wide axles but decided to stick with what I had for now.
Rear AMC20. This axle has a bad rap. so I upgraded them as much as possible to prevent any of the known issues.New seals and bearings. Replaced the two piece axles for a one piece set. Ordered brackets for a disc brake conversion and added longer studs. And just for fun added a spartan locker.

Front: Dana 30. New seals and bearings. Will most likely add a spartan locker in the future. New calipers,rotors,pads& brake lines. Went with spicer greaseable u-joints for the drive shafts.

Lift/suspension: Rough country 4 inch with t-case drop,nitro shocks and steering stabilizer

33" Goodyear Duratrac tires $800.

Donor Jeep on craigslist $600. Extra parts are always helpful. Stripped down to frame. For the frame. Cleaned out the inside, sanded and Herculined the outside.

Bolted up suspension and axles, added brake and steering componets.

Unread 12-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
lyndellwilliams
1979 CJ5 

Engine is hit and miss. Currently it's what I refer to as Frankin-258. 1980 block, 1983 head,1979 crank. Block bored .30 over. Crank .10 cleanup.
Reason I say hit and miss is due to all the little issues that take lots of time to resolve.

First was the head cracked. Found an 83 from a machine shop bought for $60 already had new valves and springs. Paid them an additional $15 to bore out the head bolt holes from 7/16 to 1/2.

Intake manifold.Cast iron, Cracked. Friend gave me an aluminum intake from a 89 258. Was free and in working order so I'm not going to complain.

Header from the original 79, oddly enough no holes is ok.

Weber 32/36 carb.

Just tracked down some bolts and washers for the intake and exhaust. If weather permits on Dec 19,2015 will bolt everything up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.