1979 cj5 jeep rebuild from the frame up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1979 cj5 jeep rebuild from the frame up

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

I pieced in the floor, and welded it to the caul and outer wall. Come to find out nothing in the jeep is centered. The drivers side is slightly narrower than the passangers. All in all after I got everything welded inside I was only 1/16" out of square, the 16g did a nice job of not warping.

image.jpg  
Dailydriver79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

So I still wanted to be able to use soft tops and original doors and my door profile didn't have any rust and I didn't have anyway of making that profile other than a lot of cutting and welding so I cut it out and welded it on the new tub.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

on the jeep
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Got the drivers side cut in too.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Here's whats left of the 79 tub, I'm done taking measurements off of it and time to scrap it. The new tub is all put together apart from welding up some small stuff and the rest of the side rails but that's next.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

So last week I put the seats and roll bar in so I could drill holes and start welding nuts on underneath for mounting. I also had picked up a windshield from someone and wanted to make sure it wasn't the earlier style but would ift my jeep. Evertthing mounted great and I picked up the rest of the steel to build the front fenders and the rest of the profile around the top of the jeep tub.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Well that brings you up to speed with where I'm at with my build. I would not have gotten this far if it wasn't for this forum and the people posting. I was urged to post some pics and start a thread by a few people and hadn't gotten around to it until now. I would love advice, comments and suggestions as I continue, hopefully will be drivable again in early summer but we'll see how the funds roll in.

In a few weeks I'm looking to start making tube front fenders, any suggestions on bending the pipe. I've done a lot of 2" black pipe for sand rail dune buggies but this lighter stuff and smaller diameter I have a feeling will be rippling.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Had some time last night to bend up the upper edge and weld it up. I left the corners, I'll probably piece them in, since I cant bend it. I went flat on the back and will probably build a swinging tire rack on the bumper. That way a soft top will still fit.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
LJCRAWLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow you having amazing fabrication skills!! The jeep looks awesome! Good luck on the rest of it!
LJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Thanks, It's been a lot of fun so far. Can't wait to get it back on the road.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Had some time last week to build my steat bracket. It's almost impossible to put the back bolts in the rear seat if you don't have a tail gate so I decided to make a bracket that the seat would slide into and then just bolt down the front. Now it's a matter of mn's to get my back seat out and have room to store stuff. (pic's aren't great but you get the idea)
image.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
pinaplebob

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Looks really good man. I am currently putting a 80 CJ5 tub on a 73 frame, so I kind of know what your going through. I do like your approach tho, I don't think I could pull off building a tub from scratch tho.
pinaplebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinaplebob View Post
Looks really good man. I am currently putting a 80 CJ5 tub on a 73 frame, so I kind of know what your going through. I do like your approach tho, I don't think I could pull off building a tub from scratch tho.
Thanks! did you end up extending out your mounts or did you stay with the narrow mounting points?
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #29
pinaplebob

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailydriver79

Thanks! did you end up extending out your mounts or did you stay with the narrow mounting points?
Yeah, we extened out the mounts. It wasnt to bad, just took some measuring and a couple hours.
pinaplebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

So I had some time last week to work on the back corners. I dont have the tools to bend tube steel so I knew I was going to have to build it in pieces. I kept one of the rotted back corners so I could take measurments and get the right radius then I started cutting. It took me a while to find something around the shop with the right radius to trace, turns out it's an old spool from climbing webing. Once I tacked it all in place and then took my time welding it solid the gound finish came out pretty good.
image.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.