1979 cj5 jeep rebuild from the frame up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1979 cj5 jeep rebuild from the frame up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

1979 cj5 jeep rebuild from the frame up

Well last August my wife got me a mudder cj5 that was shot. I rebuilt the carb and drove it for a while until the leaf spring pushed through the frame and I decided I better start the rebuild before it goes any further.

image.jpg  
Dailydriver79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

So I debated building my own frame from scratch but then I found a 66 with a channel frame for 100.00, couldn't pass it up. That came with a Dauntless V6 in it but the 79 I have has the AMC 304 So I decided to pass on the Dauntless. I stripped them both down and started mounting everything on the 66 frame. Moving suspension, I had to add 3 inches in the front to accomidate for the 304. I cut the front end off of the 79 frame and put it on the 66. That way I still had all the mounts for the power steering, grill and suspension.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

79 Frame
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

66 donor frame, straight and not rusted through
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Had to make new leaf spring brackets, the guy who mudded the 79 had put a 3" lift kit in and swapped out the leaf springs.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

So when upgrading to the v8 I had to move the engine mounts and cut out the grill support for the old v6 so I had enough room
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Here's where I cut off the front end, I picked a spot where both frames were the same size but the 79 front has the additional 3" in it.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

Here's a pic with the 79 front end welded on.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

So here is after I've put the new engine mounts in the tranny's mounted and the new front leaf spring brackets. Everything fit except the gas tank, which I'll be ordering a new one. I didn't run break lines or anything else because I'll be taking it all apart to sandblast and paint once I build the tub.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

I was to a point now that I need to figure out what to do about a body. Both of the jeeps I had picked up had shot tubs and the cost of a fiberglass one was a bit out of my price range.

I did some steel fabricating in high school and in the summer between college so I decided to take on building my own steel tub. The only part I was going to use from the 79 jeep was the firewall and tranny caul. So I cut it off from what was left of the old tub started with the two front mounts and went from there. I cut any rust off that had eaten into the meatel.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

I had a local steel fab shop bend the outside perimeter of the jeep and cut me 4 sheets of 16g 4'x4' steel for building the inside of the jeep. I decided to make the whole thing out of 16g just to add a little strength and reduce warping when welding.

I also decided to build it right on the jeep frame so I could get accurate measurements and build the tub mounts in as I went. I leveled up what was left of the old tub behind it so I could take measurements off of it. I waited until last to cut the doors in so that the rest of the outside would stay straight until I had the fenders welded in and floor. I did have to cut the wheels out otherwise it wouldn't have sat on the frame.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

I made my own tub mounts that went out the 7" instead of the 4" that the 66 tub used. The 3/4" angle iron that runs across the tub is just to keep it straight and the right distance apart, the machine shop did that when they bent it up.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

The first thing on the tub was centering it on the frame and squaring it to the fire wall. Then I found some pictures online of the bottom of a good tub to find out where all the supports went. I started making the supports and welded the tranny caul to the outside of the tub.

At this point I should state that when I was leveling the jeep and getting everything square I was an inch and a half off level from right to left. I thought that I had welded the leaf spring mounts wrong and one side of my jeep was lower. I knew that it was going to take forever to remount them and I was so frustrated that I shut off the lights and went home! A few weeks later I was talking with a guy that had worked in the garage longer than I had and he said that the concrete slopped that way. So I jacked it up and blocked the wheels and I was back in business.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

I cut a square piece for the back floor and would cut the bends in later. I couldn't find a way to put in the ribs that the oem floors have but needed to reinforce it someway so I bent up some steel and supported it from the bottom. The supports fall where the seat bolts down and where the rubber body mounts will sit. I welded a mount on the back of the tub where the floor will sit this is also where the bumper will meet the tub.

I put the wheel wells in just to see how they would sit.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Dailydriver79
1979 CJ5 

A couple pics of the back floor and the bends that were made for behind the seats. I use cardboard for all my curves so that I don't wast a lot of steel.
image.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.