1977 CJ-5 (Built entirely of diamond plate) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1977 CJ-5 (Built entirely of diamond plate)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
jakeo4824
2005 TJ Wrangler 

1977 CJ-5 (Built entirely of diamond plate)

About 3 years ago, my dad bought a 1977 CJ-5 that had been used as a snow plow. The previous owner found something else to push snow with, so my dad bought the jeep. The thing was a rust bucket. The floor was gone and the body was half there. He decided to use the template of the body that was left, and redo the entire CJ-5 body out of 16 gauge steel diamond plate. That's right, Steel Diamond Plate. It took him a year or a more to fabricate the entire body, and then other things came up so it's been sitting there patiently for about a year and a half. He just recently found the time to work on it again, and it is now in the process of being painted (OD Green), and he's getting all the bugs out of the 6 Cylinder that was in it. The body should be back on the frame here in the next couple of weeks, and it should be totally complete here in the next couple of months.

This Jeep is being built to give to my grandpa who owns lots of mountainous land in Tennessee. He's been using a Tractor to crawl around the mountains down there and my dad thought he needed something that's actually made to run around hills. When the Jeep is finished, it will be driven from Indiana to Tennessee.

My dad has taken pictures every step of the way, and i plan to put them all on here (or at least links to somewhere you can view them, because i'm new here, and i think i have to have so many posts before i can post pictures) within the next couple of days. He thought it would be cool to put it online for everyone to see. I hope everyone enjoys it when i do get the pictures uploaded.

jakeo4824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I can not wait to see them.

As far as posting pics, try using something like photobucket. Once you save the pics to that site, it will resize it for you, then you can save and click to the forum here.

Oh, and when you take it down there, think about inviting my sons and I to go along and hit the trails on those Tennessee mountains with you all!!!

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:46 AM   #3
jakeo4824
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I made a mistake, it's 14 gauge steel and not 16.
Unread Today, 11:54 AM   #4
jakeo4824
2005 TJ Wrangler 

CJ-5 Pictures so far

Here are most of the pictures my dad has taken over the last few years, I would put them all up individually but there's just too many, so i just put a link to the story. If you know of an easier way to put pictures up or have any questions about this jeep build just let me know.

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/ja...e%20CJ-5/story

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.