1972 Jeep Commando Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1972 Jeep Commando Build

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

1972 Jeep Commando Build

This is my first attempt at a Jeep build. Ive done pleanty with rice-burners and little cars, but never something like this. I found this on Craigslist and instantly thought it would be an awesome project for my dad and I, and made a move for it. Ive always loved CJs, and had never seen one of these before, but when I saw it, I knew it was just different enough to be interesting, but still a recognizable jeep, so its bad-a**! And a new paint ob is in the works. I promise.

accidentprone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

The first day I had it in my posession, I took out the back seat, pressure washed the inside and out, changed out the oil, fuel, and air filter, swore alot about the wiring, realized there wasnt a speedometer, and noticed that the glove box couldnt be opened due to the placement of the roll cage.

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I sorta like the phsychdelic paint job going on there, its neat how it matches the interior Very cool, crawled for sure you don't see to many commandos anymore
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
I sorta like the phsychdelic paint job going on there, its neat how it matches the interior Very cool, crawled for sure you don't see to many commandos anymore
Yeah the paint is a mix of god-awful and cool as heck. I think Im going to end up removing it and going with a matte OD Green like Army utility vehicles with black accents and rims. Just my vision, but thats already changed about a million times lol. Thanks for the crawl! My first one! I'll put more pics up tonight when Im home.
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This looks like it's going to be a good build. Definitely looks like a revivable project, but then again, aren't they all?!
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

everybody does OD green with black rims keep it crazy man thats what gets remembered on trails.
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^ x2

Leave the outside and redo inside black... Or just keep the general scheme the same, but use different, even LOUDER colors!
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

Thats true... It sure catches some looks. We'll see how I feel when I get it on the road. Something has to be done to it, the pinstriping is peeling off and the job itself isnt that great. Im planning on trying to rhinoline the interior, and it looks like someone already did that to the floor, then painted the yellow over it, which will be a monster to remove if I redo the inside. Dude even painted the damn steering wheel.
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Backwards Ground hogs.You need two more for the rear.Is it sitting on a Toyota frame?
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

I was gonna bring that up actually. The guy I bought it from has toyota axles under it, so instead of getting driveshafts fabricated, I just am in the process of putting narrow track jeep CJ5 axles under it. Back to the proper maker I think. Having toyota axles under an american made jeep just kinda is an insult to the soul of the car. Thats just how I feel tho, everyone has their own opinion. I'll put some pics of that up tonight. Everything is all jeep now, or it will be when I finish some fabrication on the spring perches.
Unread 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
shoeless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm, interesting use of Toyota axles. I assume the rear is too, since it has Chevy 6 lug rims. Any idea what the gearing is? What does the drivetrain consist of?

Looks like an interesting project.

Edit: Haha! I opened the thread this morning and walked away. Never refreshed the page, commented and then saw OP's comment about the Toy axles.
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

Ok so here are some more. I decided not to mess with the Toyota axles, and picked up some 1979 CJ5 axles. I managed to get a great deal, and got BOTH of them in my Mazda Protege5. I couldnt get them out myself so I decided to try an engine hoist! I bought the hoist, and the wonderful instructions came in fricken Chinese. And that's not an exaggeration, they were literally in Chinese. No English. It took me an hour to get the bastard together. But I did it!!! I just want to note that I'm a microbiology major and a applied mathematics minor, not an engineering major.

Unread 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
MattBMiller
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the jack to get the cherry picker under the car!
MattBMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
accidentprone
1985 CJ7 

Ha lol yeah putting an air-ride suspension on my mazda was probably one of my worst ideas every time I have to jack it up, but theres nothing like turning a corner at 60 with no body roll. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Unread 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
tks325
1985 CJ7 

i want to see this thing when it is all done
tks325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.