1972 cj5 rebuild from frame up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1972 cj5 rebuild from frame up

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #46
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
I think I'm gonna try and find a locker cheap for the front while it is apart. Ideas on type/brand
I'm going with ARBs. I like them because I can have a full lock for wheeling and unlocked for snow driving and street driving. Not cheap. Otherwise Detroit lockers are beefy and awesome. I have Detroit true tracks in my truck and they are also awesome, but it's a limited slip.

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #47
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm fine with limited slip just don't want to stay stock.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

New air compressor works great and so does the sandblaster. Just need a few parts and I will be in business.

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #49
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow looks like I will do a little homework so I don't have to do it all the day before school starts. Procrastinating, something I'm not proud of doing.

Unread 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #50
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hi Trent! You're doing a ton of work! Everything looks great. You have a lot of skill for a 16 YO. I think if you hit something with your bumpers you're going to kill it!! They are stout. I can see why your frame is getting heavier.

How you doing with the rearend? We did our own regear. It was my first time- I think it came out well. We won't really know that until Clay starts driving it, though. But I am confident!

What became of the galvanizing? Did that fall by the way-side? There is a thread with a member who did that. You can see his pics if you're interested. Check out Jim1611 for his build thread. Pics are near the end of the thread.

How about rockers/nerf bars and tire carrier? Are you planning those as well? There is a good write-up for a swing-out tire carrier by BESRK in the Fabrication section. It's a Sticky. BESRK (Eddie) makes and sells them, and he posted up a materials list and step-by-step to build your own. His stuff is very good.

How did you clean up your T18 gears? That's the same thing we have. Does your have Granny?

Keep going Bud. It's looking good.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #51
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Hi Trent! You're doing a ton of work! Everything looks great. You have a lot of skill for a 16 YO. I think if you hit something with your bumpers you're going to kill it!! They are stout. I can see why your frame is getting heavier.

How you doing with the rearend? We did our own regear. It was my first time- I think it came out well. We won't really know that until Clay starts driving it, though. But I am confident!

What became of the galvanizing? Did that fall by the way-side? There is a thread with a member who did that. You can see his pics if you're interested. Check out Jim1611 for his build thread. Pics are near the end of the thread.

How about rockers/nerf bars and tire carrier? Are you planning those as well? There is a good write-up for a swing-out tire carrier by BESRK in the Fabrication section. It's a Sticky. BESRK (Eddie) makes and sells them, and he posted up a materials list and step-by-step to build your own. His stuff is very good.

How did you clean up your T18 gears? That's the same thing we have. Does your have Granny?

thanks. i have checked out Jims build and i think he is going to send me plans for his hangers and i am going to make my own hangers kinda like his. the galvanizing came about as one of my dads ideas. we thought it would be a good idea because it would get into the inside of the frame and keep rust out of the inside of the frame. the rearend i tore apart as you saw and im using carriers with 3.54 gears that i had from another AMC 20 narrow trac. im doing the same with the front. im regearing from 2.73 to 3.54.
the t18 posed a huge problem as i just let the whole thing sit outside but the PO tried to rebuild and i guess let water in the oil and so that is how they got rusty. my first step for the t18 was to clean all of the grease off the outside then i tore it apart and documented where everything went and then i took a wire brush to all the gears. the bearings were in good shape so i just reused those. i spent just about $25 on the tranny for oil and gaskets. i havent thought about spare tire carrier yet a whole lot but i will probable fabricate something on the rear bumper or on the rollcage.
glad you like it have fun getting clays running.
i think it will be up and running tomorrow
gotta have a good sense of humor with these things

Unread 07-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #52
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We did the same regear. lucdog (Bill) sent us the carriers and gears we needed (he had them laying around) and went at it! I had to take it apart about a dozen times to get everything set right, which was a pain, and it tore up my hands (wasn't wearing gloves), but I finally got the pattern I needed. The 3.54 isn't the best gear for the 33" tires he's running, but we can buy the correct gears at a later date. I have not yet done the D30. I truly thought it would be on the road by now, and I didn't want to hold Clay up from driving it any longer. Should have done it! If you do your own regear (and you CAN do it) you will need a few specialty tools. It's not hard, but it does take patience.

Start planning your rockers and tire carrier. If you're like my son he would rather be welding!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 07-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #53
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We did the same regear. lucdog (Bill) sent us the carriers and gears we needed (he had them laying around) and went at it! I had to take it apart about a dozen times to get everything set right, which was a pain, and it tore up my hands (wasn't wearing gloves), but I finally got the pattern I needed. The 3.54 isn't the best gear for the 33" tires he's running, but we can buy the correct gears at a later date. I have not yet done the D30. I truly thought it would be on the road by now, and I didn't want to hold Clay up from driving it any longer. Should have done it! If you do your own regear (and you CAN do it) you will need a few specialty tools. It's not hard, but it does take patience.

Start planning your rockers and tire carrier. If you're like my son he would rather be welding!
i have already got the regear going it's all apart im doing it myself. and i have all axles apart and i havent found needing special tools, but thanks for the advice. and i got 30's that i got with that CJ7 that the engine blew in and i parted out so they were pretty much free tires!!!.
and im checking out eddie's sticky on tire swing. and how did clay learn welding? did you teach him?? im pretty much self taught my dad doesn't know how to i do both mig and stick. what do you do?

Unread 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
i have already got the regear going it's all apart im doing it myself. and i have all axles apart and i havent found needing special tools, but thanks for the advice. and i got 30's that i got with that CJ7 that the engine blew in and i parted out so they were pretty much free tires!!!.
and im checking out eddie's sticky on tire swing. and how did clay learn welding? did you teach him?? im pretty much self taught my dad doesn't know how to i do both mig and stick. what do you do?
Special tools for setting up the rearend include a dial-caliper and torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds. It is do-able to rebuild/regear your rearend, install everything, button it up, and go down the road, but without getting tolerances correct between the ring and pinion, it will not last. The gears will shred themselves, or, as in my K5, come through the diff housing. These tools are not necessarily expensive, and you may be able to rent them. You will need them even though you are swapping carriers, complete. Also, you don't have to if the bearings are still in good shape, but a master rebuild kit is good inusrance for that rearend. I paid $100 for the kit from ratech.com and it had everything I needed. If you decide to go this route, let us know... there are things to save to make it easier, like all of your old bearings. They can be used for set-up bearings. Go back in my thread to see what I am talking about. I have it well documented. I was provided first-class help by JF members.

Clay recently graduated High School and was dual-enrolled at the local Community College. As a dual-enrolled student he was able to take college courses at no cost. Welding is one of the courses that he took, and he is working on a welding engineering degree. He is finishing up TIG, but he is having problems with the root weld on pipe. He has not passed that weld yet! Clay is certified in stick and MIG. I took welding (stick) while I was in college over 25 years ago... Clay is WAY better than I!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #55
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Special tools for setting up the rearend include a dial-caliper and torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds. It is do-able to rebuild/regear your rearend, install everything, button it up, and go down the road, but without getting tolerances correct between the ring and pinion, it will not last. The gears will shred themselves, or, as in my K5, come through the diff housing. These tools are not necessarily expensive, and you may be able to rent them. You will need them even though you are swapping carriers, complete. Also, you don't have to if the bearings are still in good shape, but a master rebuild kit is good inusrance for that rearend. I paid $100 for the kit from ratech.com and it had everything I needed. If you decide to go this route, let us know... there are things to save to make it easier, like all of your old bearings. They can be used for set-up bearings. Go back in my thread to see what I am talking about. I have it well documented. I was provided first-class help by JF members.

Clay recently graduated High School and was dual-enrolled at the local Community College. As a dual-enrolled student he was able to take college courses at no cost. Welding is one of the courses that he took, and he is working on a welding engineering degree. He is finishing up TIG, but he is having problems with the root weld on pipe. He has not passed that weld yet! Clay is certified in stick and MIG. I took welding (stick) while I was in college over 25 years ago... Clay is WAY better than I!
Oh ok. I have those tools already for the axle rebuild.
And that is pretty cool about clay. I just self taught myself welding with scrap metal starting about 4 yrs ago. And I think I'm ging to get my certification for stick here soon. I would do mig but my Mig welder is acting up. But this is the stick welder that I have and learned on.

image-2783884241.jpg

And I will be a junior in highschool next year. And I think I will major in construction management and minor in agricultural sciences.

Unread 07-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #56
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Hi Trent! You're doing a ton of work! Everything looks great. You have a lot of skill for a 16 YO. I think if you hit something with your bumpers you're going to kill it!! They are stout.

X2 for sure!
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #57
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

X2 for sure!
Leers hope I don't actually kill anything with them.

Unread 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #58
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Leers hope I don't actually kill anything with them.
besides a couple of good dirt mounds and some bugs anyway
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #59
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

besides a couple of good dirt mounds and some bugs anyway
Ya besides those things.

Unread 07-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #60
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Oh ok. I have those tools already for the axle rebuild.
And that is pretty cool about clay. I just self taught myself welding with scrap metal starting about 4 yrs ago. And I think I'm ging to get my certification for stick here soon. I would do mig but my Mig welder is acting up. But this is the stick welder that I have and learned on.

Attachment 436009

And I will be a junior in highschool next year. And I think I will major in construction management and minor in agricultural sciences.
Take your time with the axle setup, and get your tolerances right. If you have any questions about shims and spacing, make a thread and post it up. You need some kind of gear marking compound (my kit had some bright yellow grease) so you can see how the gears mesh. The pattern needs to be right. You probably already know that, but make sure you don't take any short cuts dealing with the axle.

Dude, that welder is bad to the bone! I am jealous. I have a CH 105A Mig for sheet metal and a Miller Thunderbolt 230A for stick. Clay bought a Lincoln 180C Mig and it is very impressive. He is wanting a TIG now. Hope he gets one... I want to build a boat! I graduated from college with an Ag degree, double major in Animal Science and Industrial Technology. Both majors served me well, and I enjoyed agriculture (still do!), but I am not working in my field these past three years. The industrial portion provided TONS of experience to do a lot of different things over the years. I think you have a good concept and you have an excellent start. If you REALLY LIKE agriculture, and you want to use your hands, look seriously into Ag Engineering. It's a great occupation, busy, and good paying.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.