1972 cj5 rebuild from frame up - Page 16 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #226 of 2041 Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

A piece of 5/16 steel with a hole drilled in it.
Just 5/16" plate? I thought it had to be thicker than that!


Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #227 of 2041 Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7

Just 5/16" plate? I thought it had to be thicker than that!
Maybe thicker I don't know I didn't measure it. It was some scrap steel that I had laying around. 5/16 does sound small though.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #228 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

Maybe thicker I don't know I didn't measure it. It was some scrap steel that I had laying around. 5/16 does sound small though.
Oh okay! Well do you think you could please measure for me and let me know whenever you can?

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #229 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7

Oh okay! Well do you think you could please measure for me and let me know whenever you can?
When I get the frame back I will for sure and post it here.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #230 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

When I get the frame back I will for sure and post it here.
Thank you so much! I've been wanting to make some because I kinda went the cheap route and didnt order a bumper with d rings.

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #231 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Maybe thicker I don't know I didn't measure it. It was some scrap steel that I had laying around. 5/16 does sound small though.
5/16 is slightly more than a 1/4", which will hold up to a lot if you "respect" it. If I was "bad" stuck I would take a wrap around the bumper rather than pull on the D ring. I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think Besrk recommends 1" thickness on his sticky in the Fabrication section. That is not "the rule", however, just a recommendation.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #232 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

5/16 is slightly more than a 1/4", which will hold up to a lot if you "respect" it. If I was "bad" stuck I would take a wrap around the bumper rather than pull on the D ring. I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think Besrk recommends 1" thickness on his sticky in the Fabrication section. That is not "the rule", however, just a recommendation.
Thanks! I think every d ring mount I've seen is around an inch thick!

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #233 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

5/16 is slightly more than a 1/4", which will hold up to a lot if you "respect" it. If I was "bad" stuck I would take a wrap around the bumper rather than pull on the D ring. I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think Besrk recommends 1" thickness on his sticky in the Fabrication section. That is not "the rule", however, just a recommendation.
Ya. I didn't have any 1 inch stock. I can always go through the bumper.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #234 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Today after school I went to try and see of anyone could press out ball joints for me in the knuckles before powder. And no one would give me any respect. They just look down upon me and kinda just sit there and smirk with me standing right there. Oh how I just wanna see what they could do at my age.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #235 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 5,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
Today after school I went to try and see of anyone could press out ball joints for me in the knuckles before powder. And no one would give me any respect. They just look down upon me and kinda just sit there and smirk with me standing right there. Oh how I just wanna see what they could do at my age.
Don't lose faith man, you're the ****! Those guys are all bogus, ship um to me and I'll push em out for you. Or rent the ball joint pusher from auto zone. That's what I did for my truck.

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is offline  
post #236 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

Don't lose faith man, you're the ****! Those guys are all bogus, ship um to me and I'll push em out for you. Or rent the ball joint pusher from auto zone. That's what I did for my truck.
I went to oriellys and we tried there and they wouldn't budge thats why I went other places. I know that I'm better than them any way. Haha I will run over there vehicle with my cj if I see them. Haha that bumper will get tested out.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #237 of 2041 Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 5,095
Haha, nice

I had to use a huge breaker bar (seriously like 3' long) on my ball joints. I'd rather use my impact, but it didn't fit anywhere cause I had my axle under the truck while I was playing with it.

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is offline  
post #238 of 2041 Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
Today after school I went to try and see of anyone could press out ball joints for me in the knuckles before powder. And no one would give me any respect. They just look down upon me and kinda just sit there and smirk with me standing right there. Oh how I just wanna see what they could do at my age.
It's the same way with me! I think it's an "O'Reily's" thing though. Every time I go there they look down on me and every time I leave their jaws are on the ground and they can't say anything. It's so easy to shut them up since they really don't know as much as they think they do. I'm friends with everyone at the autozone that I go to buy when I go to the other ones that happens.

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #239 of 2041 Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv
Haha, nice

I had to use a huge breaker bar (seriously like 3' long) on my ball joints. I'd rather use my impact, but it didn't fit anywhere cause I had my axle under the truck while I was playing with it.
I haven't had to do mine on my jeep yet but I had to use a 6 foot breaker bar on my bronco just to get them loose! Lol

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #240 of 2041 Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7

It's the same way with me! I think it's an "O'Reily's" thing though. Every time I go there they look down on me and every time I leave their jaws are on the ground and they can't say anything. It's so easy to shut them up since they really don't know as much as they think they do. I'm friends with everyone at the autozone that I go to buy when I go to the other ones that happens.
No oriellys I'd helpful. The shops laughed. The people at oriellys really try to help.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
1972 Jeep Commando Build accidentprone Jeep Builds 37 12-17-2014 04:37 PM
My XJ Rebuild HankyDanky Jeep Builds 17 01-07-2013 05:30 PM
1972 jeep truck torn on color and motor swap med511 Jeep Builds 0 09-02-2011 08:51 PM
83 CJ8 On Frame Rebuild Pelirojo73 Jeep Builds 7 01-04-2011 02:15 PM
1972 Newbie nichboy Jeep Builds 4 02-20-2010 11:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome