1970 CJ5 Help with new build !! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1970 CJ5 Help with new build !!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
J-reg
1970 CJ5 

1970 CJ5 Help with new build !!

I picked up a 1970 CJ5 few days ago and by far its the oldest jeep I've owned thus far. My questions are: What's the most common Problems with jeeps this old? Is the "Dauntless" 225 a motor worth keeping or is a engine swap in order? What is the best lift kit to get for a jeep this old? Its has a 4 peed with a granny 1st. I want to use it for some trail/roc crawling. Any help would be great.
Thanks
J-reg

J-reg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
84jeepcj7rock

I had a '69 CJ5 with the Dauntless. Swapped in a Ford NP435 and it was a great combo
The 225 has a really heavy flywheel which allows it to chug through a lot especially if it's geared right. I loved that engine till I tried to get fancy and put it on propane. My '69 had a read D44 with 2 piece axle shafts like the AMC 20. Swapped the front and rear out for '72 axles with open knuckles in front, 1 piece axles and stock 4.27 gears
As for lifts, I like to keep them low and stable. I'd hate to see an old CJ cut up, but if the body isn't great then start cutting. Those springs are really short and when you put a lot of arch in them, they get really stiff.
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
J-reg
1970 CJ5 

Ya I had a CJ7 that I lifted about 12'' and is was a stiff mother. So your leaning to the motor swap idea? if so I was thinking of doing a newer 5.7 "hemi" along with all the rest of the running gear maybe getting an 08 or newer donor truck(s). As for the lift I also built a XJ with a 6.5 long arm kit witch I loved so I'm with you low and stable. When it comes to cutting it up I would rather not but the front fenders are kinda askin for it since they are a little holy in all the right places but cant do the front with out doin the back.
Unread 09-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
J-reg
1970 CJ5 

And on a side note my gauge cluster is like this oOo "little gauge big gauge little gauge" and two more little gauges right under the other little gauges. right around the steering column all the pics I find on the webs are in the center? is this common or not thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.