1967 jeepster commando build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1967 jeepster commando build

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

1967 jeepster commando build

greetings all.... i am starting this to document my build of a 1967 jeepster commando. I picked this baby up from a guy near el dorado hills. got a sweet deal and started planning and collecting parts. so far i have good running 5.8l ford efi motor with a zf 5-42 transmission. i bought it with the complete truck. scrapped what i didn't need and turned the rest into a pickup bed trailer. I bought an advanced adapter for the transmission to a bronco dana 20 transfer case. I also picked up some earily bronco axles that had been built for rock crawling (the guy was upgrading to 1 ton axles). the front is a dana 44 with 4.56 gears, heavy duty axles & u-joints, an arb locker, all of the bushings and long radius arms. the rear is a ford 9" with a strange center section, detroit locker, 35 spline moser axles, disc brakes, leaf springs and roll over shackles.

because i was worried about fitting the engine i picked up some late model cj fenders and will lengthen the hood 3". that should give me plenty of room for things. for tires i have a near new set of dick cepek fun country 36x16.5r15 on 15x12 black d-hole wheels. i am hoping to get started in the next few days. i have attached a pic of how it looks now and will take more pics soon

image-2240632797.jpg

mtb_medic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
jerryh
1978 CJ5 

Very nice man !!!
jerryh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
toyfarm
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm digging the "Old School" slots with dirt grips! I'm thinking you should go that direction! Got the PopCorn ready, waiting for the show! This should be an awesome project!
toyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

Well I was going to run the slots but I really like the cepek tires.

Today I pulled out the stock rear and put in the 9 inch with the tires

Attachment 270061

image-369540799.jpg

This morning I got the front axle out and mocked up the fenders and flares

image-3433257311.jpg

That's it for now. I have baby duty today.
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
shoeless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Updates? Please.
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

Happy Holidays. This project has been moderately sidelined for another project. I am building a 1978 F100 extended cab. I currently have to borrow my girlfriends truck if I am going to use my car trailer. It sucks therefore I am trying to get this thing done. It will be going to paint in feb. That will give me an opportunity to keep working on the jeepster.

I digress... here is some updates. the pics below are of the engine on a stand I built. This will allow me to get all of the wiring worked out prior to putting it in the jeep.

I realized that the truck intake will not clear the hood. I did a little research and found that BC Broncos has a great section on the installation of ford EFI into old broncos. there is an amazing amount of information. Here is what I found. They make an adapter plate that allows the installation of a mustang upper intake (89-93) onto the 5.8 truck lower. I picked up a mustang ECM, wiring harness, and 70mm MAF off craigslist for $250. I decided to modify the wiring harness myself. This is not for the faint of heart. I have approximately 25 hours into the modification. There were times when I wanted to say 'f**k it' and buy one already done from RJM injection. But now I am almost done and got my fingers crossed. here are some pics of that.
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

The short version of the wiring is: 1. Remove all of the covering. 2. Determine the location of the ECM. 3. Find the length of the from the back of the motor to the ECM. 4. Get wiring diagrams from alldatadiy.com. 5. Trace and modify all wires begining with Pin #1.

If you do the wiring one at a time it is not to hard. Just takes time.

In addition to the wiring I am going to build a new frame out of 4x2x0.180 wall tubing. I found a diagram with the measurements and will build it the way I would if I was building a hot rod frame. Ill post pics as it happens.

Lastly for the update. The tubing for the roll cage arrived with the frame tubing 1.75x0.120. I have a JD2 bender which has always been a pain in the a$$ to use. Then I found SWAG fab that makes an adapter for a Harbor Freight air over hydraulic ram. The videos showing its use are awsome. I have not tried it out yet. Hoping to get to it next week. That is it for now.

Cheers and Happy holidays.
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
evolution
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man im glad go see ya doin one of these.i did a 70 model jeepster for a freind.. frame was shot so we decided to build one too out of 2x4x1/4 wall tubing.. i made the frame 2in wider than stock and it let the new 360 sit down in the frame some more.. added 3 in to the front end and extended the fenders and hood also..hint on the hood.. find another hood and cut the 3in off from the hinge side and it matchs prefect.. 44 front and 9 in rear also.. if ya need any pointers feel free to hollar..
97 TJ, custom long arm, custom tri link rear, 44 front-9in rear, Detroit and Yukon lockers, 4:88s, 37" bfg's ,tube fenders and crusher corners, process never ends...
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/evolutions-97-tj-1061890/[/url]
evolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
JPi1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome build! Can't wait to see the finished pics!
JPi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
evolution
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also have autocad drawings for the frame if ya would want them..
97 TJ, custom long arm, custom tri link rear, 44 front-9in rear, Detroit and Yukon lockers, 4:88s, 37" bfg's ,tube fenders and crusher corners, process never ends...
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/evolutions-97-tj-1061890/[/url]
evolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

I have had some time in the evenings to work lately. I have been trying to get the motor running and buttoned up. I was having trouble figuring out how to remove the smog pump and mount a york. After a little internet research I discovered that the accessory brackets from an 90-95 E-Series ford van were perfect. There is a difference in mounting through the years but the all came with 130a alternators and the heavy duty Saginaw power steering pump. The location of the tensioner was optimal for Smog pump removal. I measured and a 93 inch serpentine belt should work great. Also I picked up the brackets, pump, alternator and tensioner at Pick n Pull on a half priced weekend Now about the York compressor, finding one in the wrecking yard is near impossible with a serpentine belt. I found one on e-bay rebuilt and shipped for $170. Which is a deal in my opinion when considering all of the running around to try to put something used together. I will not need A/C since when it is hot I will have the top off anyway so I mounted the York in the same location as the stock AC compressor. Basically I drilled 7 holes in a flat plate. Here are the pics.

In the next two pics you can see where I had to notch the PS bracket to fit the York plate.

Here is a pic of the O2 bung welded in the exhaust started pipes.

Finally this rats nest is the wiring harness loose. When I get the engine started and running I will zip tie all of the branches off the main. Then remove it, tape wrap it, and add plastic loom.

Unread 01-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution View Post
Man im glad go see ya doin one of these.i did a 70 model jeepster for a freind.. frame was shot so we decided to build one too out of 2x4x1/4 wall tubing.. i made the frame 2in wider than stock and it let the new 360 sit down in the frame some more.. added 3 in to the front end and extended the fenders and hood also..hint on the hood.. find another hood and cut the 3in off from the hinge side and it matchs prefect.. 44 front and 9 in rear also.. if ya need any pointers feel free to hollar..

HA...looks like I will be walking in your foot steps. My frame is in great shape. I decided to build a tube frame for a few reasons. First the rear suspension will be 4 link with coils and when I got to looking at the rear of the frame I decided that I am going to bring the frame out the the edge of the wheel wells at the coils. This will allow me to build a bigger fuel tank. Second I am also putting on the longer 72+ CJ front fenders. I already have a donor hood for the lengthening (PS do you have any pics of the lengthening you did?). So I needed to lengthen the frame at the front for the fenders and a Warn 8472 winch. Finally I had a skid plate bent out of 1/4" plate for a CJ6 project that I never used and I am going to make the center section of the new frame 1" lower while raising the body mounts to help accommodate the height of the ZF 5-42

Anyway the delay in this project has been due to pouring a concrete slab for an addition to my shop. I am still pushing to have this Sucker build by the Jeepers Jamboree at the end of July.
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

any updates?
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

bringing it back

greetings all. I am finally ready to start working on this beast again. Two years of hibernation leads to changes. The Jeepster was put on the back burner for this

and this

The 1930 sedan was a redo and the flat fender I built from scratch

Now due to my craigslist addiction I have been collecting parts for the jeepster. Then my wife got injured at work and needed to retire. She got some money with that and we bought her a CJ-8 to build and she claimed my efi302,zf5 and dana 20.

It didnít turn out all bad. I had decided to change directions with the build. I could not get the concept built by jeep "lower forty"

here is my jeepster mock up with a high line in mind

and I decided to run a TJ front frame half. I ordered a Barnes belly pan.

here is the 6.0L vortec LQ4 from a 2005 denali with the NV4500 just sitting in the frame after cutting off the back half of the TJ frame

Unread 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
mtb_medic
1967 C101 

I did get the body back on the frame half and some jackstands

It is almost where it needs to be on the frame. I have to move it forward about 5" to get it right. the front axle is a reverse spiral ford dana 60 narrowed to 63" wms to match the 14 bolt cab & chassis rear. Most of the remaining parts needed are on their way. 3.8 atlas, arb's, 5.38 gears, 35 spline outers and the 44" pitbulls (although I found out yesterday that they are in the process of making them so their going to be a while in getting here). oh and the finish goal is to take this on the jeepers jamboree in July. fortunately I already have the ECM flashed and the wiring harness finished (thanks to LT1swap dot com for all the information)

That's it for now I will update as I have new info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.