1964 CJ6 long term restomod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1964 CJ6 long term restomod

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

1964 CJ6 long term restomod

Finally decided to start my build thread. Where I started from was a plan to build a Cummins powered CJ6 from scratch. Original plans was for an aluminum tub with tube fenders a 4bt with a NV4500 and NP205.

Well I came up with a 1964 CJ6 sitting on a 1978 full size Ford Bronco frame. With no motor, trans or transfer case. Looks like previous owner jumped into a project and after starting figure out it was not going to work.

The person I bought it off bought it for the 40" tires that was on it, the put the rest up for sale.

Unread 10-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Think one of the biggest problems the original builder found was the original position of the motor in the Bronco would be way forward of position in the jeep body. To move the motor back would also mean that the trans cross member would have had to be moved back also. This would remove support from the front suspension mounting points. In my mind this would make the entire suspension unsteady. In this picture I am pointing to the original radiator support mounting location. The cross member shown in front of the grill should be under the front of the motor in the Bronco.

Unread 10-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Was hoping to keep the outside of the CJ6 looking as stock as possible but, after measuring I came to the conclusion that with the length of the 4bt in there I would only have 1.5" behind the grill for the radiator, and the inter cooler would have to be mounted in front of the grill. Since I don't have a frame yet I have decided to go with a later front clip to gain an extra 3" behind the grill.

Unread 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

I will be reusing the 9" Ford rear end that was under the Bronco frame narrowing it to match my front axle but, the Dana 44 under the front has to go. Has the pumpkin on the drivers side, wrong for a CJ, also in 1978 Ford went to a large casting that incorporates the inner-C and the wedges for the mounting points for the radius arms that makes it very difficult to narrow.

The solution, bought a 1977 Wagoneer shell that still had that axles under it. Took the front Dana 44 and steering box then scrapped the rest. After scrapping the shell my total cash out for a Dana 44 and a steering box was a whole $26!

I am saving the front hubs, rotors, and lockouts to make my 6 lug Jeep axle a 5 lug. With the help of some Chevy spindles. Wish I could have found a 1976 Wagoneer, they should have the small bearing spindles I need to run the Ford hubs.

Unread 10-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Here I have the tub unbolted from the frame, probably a good thing they never got this thing on the road. The tub was only held on with 4 x 3/8" carriage bolts and 6 x 5/16" carriage bolts! Wish I had taken a picture of the dash, someone had welded a piece of sheet metal over the factory dash, than chopped a large square hole to fit gauges out of a 1990's Chevy in it.

Unread 10-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

So here is where I currently am, I now have a tub sitting on saw horses that I am hoping to save, and both axles that both need narrowed. Once I make sure there is no measurements that I need I am planning on selling the front clip that came with the CJ6 as there is probably some body need them.

The more I have done the more areas that I am seeing on the tub that has Bondo on it.
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Finally came up with my motor yesterday, bought a complete running truck. This way I have all the small parts that I may or may-not get buying just a motor. Now I have a VE pump 4bt, both axles that need narrowed, and the tub that needs some body work. Pile of parts getting bigger, just hope I get it all together before I get frustrated!

Paid about $1000 less than just a motor is going for currently on eBay, Figure I have over $1000 worth of parts and scrap I can sell to boot.
Unread 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Got more Bondo ground out of the body than I figured would be there. Figured out whoever did the bodywork last had a torch, braising rods, and a large supply of Bondo. Probably ground out 2 gallons worth! What is sad is they put so much heat into the body with the torch the panels that are not rusted are so warped that I am contemplating replacing most of the steel!

They warped the bod so bad that they did not even have to grind the mounts for the spare tire carrier clear down. They are sticking out still over 1/8" and the Bondo was over the top thick enough they could not be seen.

Here they were not even able to fill in the patch completely, This is where the front of the drivers side wheel tub mounts to the body.

Unread 10-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k-fxst View Post
Finally came up with my motor yesterday, bought a complete running truck. This way I have all the small parts that I may or may-not get buying just a motor. Now I have a VE pump 4bt, both axles that need narrowed, and the tub that needs some body work. Pile of parts getting bigger, just hope I get it all together before I get frustrated!

Paid about $1000 less than just a motor is going for currently on eBay, Figure I have over $1000 worth of parts and scrap I can sell to boot.
Had a guy ask me today about buying the body for a storage shed, Quoted him $1500 for what I don't use. He told me to get a hold of him when I ready. That would put me down to $875 for the motor and adapter plate. I don't need the Chevy adapter plate since I am planning on running a Dodge trans, have seen them go for $300-$500 on eBay!
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Drove the donor truck home 110 miles yesterday. As good as the little 4bt drags that big thing around. can't wait to feel it in a little CJ!
Unread 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
axxxgijoexxxa

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow you got lots of work ahead! Should be a sweet jeep with a 4bt!
Unread 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxxgijoexxxa View Post
Wow you got lots of work ahead! Should be a sweet jeep with a 4bt!
Just wish someone would do a re-pop on the CJ6 extension panels. Been looking at the ones I have, looks like they will be the hardest part to fix. Waiting for the money to go further, wife's gas buggy got replaced last month. Kind of hurt the check book.
Unread 11-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Doing more sanding, between the 3-5 layers of paint and the rattle-can DIY bed liner inside the tub, on the firewall, and underneath have decided to get the tub media blasted. Have located some people locally that do it, one even is portable and will soda blast right in my driveway. Waiting to hear back from them as to the cost.
Unread 11-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Well this will slow me down even more than I already am! Going to be a long 6 weeks!
10409137_851683034871499_4104595389047722808_n.jpg  
Unread 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
NashvilleTJ

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ouch - How did you do that?
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.