1962 Pickup Cummins 4BT swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 1962 Pickup Cummins 4BT swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
troyskibert

1962 Pickup Cummins 4BT swap

I'm a newbie:
I have started a new project: I have a 1962 Willy's pickup and I am swaping in a Cummins 4BT in place of the original I-6 that has began knocking and needs a total restoration/rebuild.

Has anyone done this sort of swap? I am wondering if I need to put a small body lift to be able to fit this engine? I am also wondering if I need to put new leaf springs since mine are really sagging and are all 10 stack leafs, front and rear. Wondering: should I go with 2 inch lift leaf springs to give a little more give for this heavy diesel engine that weighs over 570 lbs. I know I will have to reinforce the frame where I install the motor mounts.

I bought a 1998 Hostess Twinky truck with 4BT and 5 speed manual tranny to use on this swap. I am gonna try to use as much as possible from this donor truck. It has power steering and I want to keep the original steering system for now and wondering if I can trade the power steering pump for an A/C compressor so I can make it a proper California vehicle that I will use all seasons and don't want to roast driving down the highway in the summer.

I am building this truck for my dentist in trade of dentistry work on my mouth. I will get $40/hour trade for doing this swap. This whole swap is my dentists idea/request and I told him, "No, I cannot put in a 6BT into that old truck, I will try to see what I can do with the 4BT which is smaller size and at least 250 lbs. lighter.

Any help with this swap would be great. I am a newbie with diesel swaps. I swapped out my I-6 in 1987 Landcrusier for a 1987 Corvette fuel injected engine, which gave me ALOT of experience and I love the outcome! It has plenty of power, and actually increase the MPG by 2 to 3 MPG, due to the sluggy, heavy orginal I-6 that with stock tires got 12 MPG in town and 14 MPG max on hwy. With new 5.7L corvette engine, I did a 1000 mile trip and got 16-17 MPG on highway with my 35 inch tires.

If anyone needs a rebuildable stock 1962 I-6 super hurricane engine with a knock, I have one that I believe it has worn out main bearings, since it isn't a clack clack valve kind of sound, it is a knock knock sound. Before pulling this engine, I recorded video on it running and will send it to anyone who has an ear for these things and can tell me what they believe is wrong with this engine with unknown miles on it. If anyone is interested, please send me an email.

thanks,

troyskibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
miked2905
2009 JK Wrangler 

Good luck with this, sounds like a sweet build. Post lots of pics!
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a cool build, lets see some pics

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
GB_YJ_GUY

Going to be a sweet build!

But whats wrong with stuffing a 6bt in there...? IF thats what the man wants and its on his dime, GO FOR IT!! As long as you get cash after you hit the dollar amount of work he will be doing for you, of course..
GB_YJ_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
supbrah

Sounds cool man, got any pics so far?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.